Briefing Alarm weather is not updating

tendonut

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, first post here, long time Android fan.

I've recently picked up my Galaxy S3 and have been loving it so far. I discovered the briefing alarm which is a great idea in my mind, but I am having a pretty annoying issue with the Weather portion. It seems to be constantly WAY off. This morning, I woke up with the alarm telling me it was 56 degrees out, but when I looked at my Weatherbug widget on my main screen, it told me it was 45 (the actual temperature). I also notice the native weather widget doesn't seem to update at all if the phone is sleeping, even though I have it set to poll every hour.

This has been an issue pretty much since I bought the phone in September. Where does the briefing app and the native weather widget pull its weather from? Is anyone else having this problem? The News briefing works just fine and pulls the correct data every time. It's just weather that is way off.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not familiar with this 'briefing' application. Are you using WiFi or mobile data for your data connection when the phone is asleep? If you're using WiFi, be sure that Settings -> WiFi -> Advanced -> Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep is set to Always.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
wait! I was going to say that!

And what is this briefing app thing?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

fascinatej

Banned
Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah tells me the same news every day. Didn't bother to look into it. Would be nice to have it fixed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

tendonut

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I'm not familiar with this 'briefing' application. Are you using WiFi or mobile data for your data connection when the phone is asleep? If you're using WiFi, be sure that Settings -> WiFi -> Advanced -> Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep is set to Always.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

That's a good point. I DO have WiFi set to sleep, so that would make sense. I don't feel I should change that setting though because I love my awesome battery life, so I think I will just give up on the briefing alarm.

And as someone said above, it's an alarm type built into the default Alarm app. You can set the alarm to Melody, Music Library, or Briefing. It will ready news, weather, and your calendar. News always works, but weather is always stuck on some weather forecast from the day I bought the phone (mid-September)

EWSnyder

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem and have found the solution:

For some reason, the weather briefing is tied to the lock screen weather which doesn't update by default. Settings->Lock Screen->Lock Screen Options->Weather->Auto refresh seems to fix it.