Phone randomly gets very hot and drains battery/lags

tendonut

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
This is an issue I am ONLY having while sitting at my desk work. One of my immediate co-workers has the exact same problem, but the second co-worker doesn't have the issue at all. We all sit around 10 feet from each other.

My S3 will randomly start getting really warm in my pocket and the battery lasts maybe 4 hours rather than the typical....well, never went more than 24 hours without charging, though it certainly could have gone longer.

I notice other symptoms during this as well. The Cell Standby is dominating my battery usage at over 50% and opening apps will take no less than 10 seconds, then the app works flawlessly. Open another app, 10-15 second wait, works fine. Very strange behavior and only affects me while sitting at my desk at work. I would typically have 2-3 bars of signal strength and full Wi-Fi at the time.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
What is your precious new phone doing sitting in your pocket? It should be in your hands, busy playing games, surfing the net and streaming p*rn! :eek:
Heh heh - sorry, that was too good to pass up.

Sounds like one of two things - either your phone is constantly searching for a signal, which will kill the battery in no time flat, or you have some runaway application causing the problem.
1. Do you have mobile data enabled? If the phone is constantly switching between 4G/3G/1X then this would account for the heat & battery drain.
2. Are you in a weak cellular signal area? If it's constantly trying to find a signal then the same thing would happen.
3. You could try a better battery monitoring application to see if it can help track down the problem: BetterBatteryStats: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.asksven.betterbatterystats
Or
GSam Battery Monitor Pro: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm problem (there's a free version available)
may help identify what's happening.

You could just try putting the phone in Airplane mode and see what happens - if your problem goes away then it's almost certainly the data or cellular signal causing the problem.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

dousenator

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I am having the very same issue, but only as of this week. For months I have had no issues like this. My cell signal hasn't changed, nor has the location of my desk. But as of this week the battery drops like a stone! I uninstalled all apps that I had installed recently. The only changes I can think of are that I recently put an Otterbox Defender on it (I have a hard time believing that's the cause but I could experiment with that) and on Sunday VZW had some sort of update (though I don't remember what exactly it was).

Edit:
I just looked at my battery statistics and it says the Android System is using 92%. I looked in the details and it shows that it's just constantly awake. That's gotta be why my battery is dropping so quick. Why, suddenly, won't the phone go into sleep mode. I've hardly used the thing this morning and it's dropped from 95% to 35% in 4 hours!

Edit 2:
I decided to try rebooting it and now it goes into sleep mode when I'm not using it. This is very strange. I take it off the charger in the morning and it doesn't go in to sleep mode until I reboot it?!? Does anybody have a clue what the cause could be? And why this might have changed so suddenly?

Last edited:

Jasper Jazz

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I have a similar problem with my LG P506 for the past two days. The mobile gets heated up and ultimately it loses its battery strength. It happens even when the mobile is TURNED OFF...

elinash93

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Seems to be mainly rooted devices having this issue (I know a few people with a rooted note 2, s3 and maxx hd) with the same issue and the only solution they've found is a reset after charging. A 30 second reset after charging isn't necessarily bad, but I guess it'd suck if you forgot to do so.

Sent from my sexy s4 ♡

Gibur

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi. I own a Samsung Galaxy S4 (the one with 8 cores) and recently I am having the same problem. The phone starts to heat up and the battery drains really fast and I am not using it. I turned Off mobile data and the phone's temp is normal now. If the Phone is constantly searching for signal it can cause stuttering/lag? Sometimes when typing on whatsapp the phone stutters and the keyboard does not work as expected, plus the battery drain and random heat.

I already did the factory reset option (Thought it was another problem since touchwiz and S Health stopped working) and works fine at my place but when in my office, the problem starts again. Here in my office (Building) everybody has signal issues (no calls or intermitent mobile data). Again my question is, can this cause lag or stuttering? sometimes the phone gets really slow and that sucks.

Thank you,

Note: Sorry about my english. Not my main language.
DFBT

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I am having the very same issue, but only as of this week. For months I have had no issues like this. My cell signal hasn't changed, nor has the location of my desk. But as of this week the battery drops like a stone! I uninstalled all apps that I had installed recently. The only changes I can think of are that I recently put an Otterbox Defender on it (I have a hard time believing that's the cause but I could experiment with that) and on Sunday VZW had some sort of update (though I don't remember what exactly it was).

Edit:
I just looked at my battery statistics and it says the Android System is using 92%. I looked in the details and it shows that it's just constantly awake. That's gotta be why my battery is dropping so quick. Why, suddenly, won't the phone go into sleep mode. I've hardly used the thing this morning and it's dropped from 95% to 35% in 4 hours!

Edit 2:
I decided to try rebooting it and now it goes into sleep mode when I'm not using it. This is very strange. I take it off the charger in the morning and it doesn't go in to sleep mode until I reboot it?!? Does anybody have a clue what the cause could be? And why this might have changed so suddenly?

For looking into why your phone is awake so much, I'd suggest getting an app like BetterBattery Stats to find out what's going on with wakelocks and processor states, and what's holding the wakelocks that are keeping your phone from going to sleep. This app has been very helpful to me in chasing down new problems that occasionally pop up. That, along with doing a factory reset, and seeing if that's okay, and then adding back apps one at a time can be very helpful in finding what's acting up on your phone. It could be an app update that you didn't think about, just applied, or a combination of things that you're just not aware of. It's way too difficult to just figure out these problems without the right tools.

mallikaan

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Please tell me the reason why my mobile is randomly get hot and battery get drained.
It is just 2 and half months only I bought this new mobile (MOTO-G)
f:'(

May 24, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue with my phone heating up and majerly draining my battery. After much research I learned that S3 with the new update (evil!) is not designed to handle sd storageon the phone. Whats happening is some how your sd card is getting corrupted and the phones system is hanging trying to get past it and causeing the issue. Needless to say I took the sd card out and my problem is solved.

Jennifer Freedland

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Rather than worrying about the phone that just randomly gets hot in someones pocket (which is something that can be quite understandable), I would like to know why my "NEW" Samsung Galaxy Note Edge gets extremely hot, (overheating to the point of not being able to work correctly) pretty much all the time, which also drains the battery at a rate clearly indicative of a very serious problem (from 100% to 0% in a matter of no more than an hour). I got this "new" phone to replace my old phone that wouldn't stop doing overheating and doing the exact same things. I can understand why the old phone didn't function properly, now can anyone explain why my "new" one is already malfunctioning and acting like as though it is defective and what can be done to fix it!

Riku1408

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
What is your precious new phone doing sitting in your pocket? It should be in your hands, busy playing games, surfing the net and streaming p*rn! :eek:
Heh heh - sorry, that was too good to pass up.

Sounds like one of two things - either your phone is constantly searching for a signal, which will kill the battery in no time flat, or you have some runaway application causing the problem.
1. Do you have mobile data enabled? If the phone is constantly switching between 4G/3G/1X then this would account for the heat & battery drain.
2. Are you in a weak cellular signal area? If it's constantly trying to find a signal then the same thing would happen.
3. You could try a better battery monitoring application to see if it can help track down the problem: BetterBatteryStats: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.asksven.betterbatterystats
Or
GSam Battery Monitor Pro: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm problem (there's a free version available)
may help identify what's happening.

You could just try putting the phone in Airplane mode and see what happens - if your problem goes away then it's almost certainly the data or cellular signal causing the problem.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

I had issue with galaxy grand prime. I only had phone cor 6 days when it started that. It caused me to have no data connection when i had 3g service and lte was just plain slow. Went to sprint store and they gave me lg flex 2 which has better processor and 32gb of memory (4x what grand prime had) i havent gone above half on memory usage and same issue again. I understand the searching for signal bit as im a truck driver but what else could cause this? My phone is not in use for at least 10 hours a day. Maybe an occasional phone call that usually doesnt last more than an hour or 2. But my grand prime started shutting down factory programs after over heating, i would hate to replace another phone because of that. As is my google play services is constantly coming up with a pop up saying its stopped working. But i know it tends to progress from there

haygirl

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
All of a sudden starting July 2016 my samsung galaxy s2 had this problem. In 90 minutes of standby it would be totally hot and totally discharged. My problem was that Google Services were running nonstop. To fix this, I had to disable the Google Play Store. On my phone, it involves going into settings-applications-all and then scrolling down to click on Google Play Store and then to click on disable. I recently wanted to download an app, and so I re-enabled the Store (the same way) and forgot to turn it off, and once again my battery was draining and the phone was hot. I can guarantee that Google Play Store was my entire problem -- when you looked at the battery usage, Google Services was specified as 95%+ of the battery drain. Now it doesn't show up, the screen is the main drain, and my phone lasts a whole day, and it is normal-temperature. I was ready to buy a new phone until I discovered the cure.

cindyd1955

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Have had this problem with a couple of LG phones. Battery drains and phone gets way too hot. Took your advice. Removed the SD card phone works perfectly now. Thanks a bunch.

msanna99

Jun 22, 2018
Visit site
sorry but this has to be an all-around Android issue. no matter what they say. I have an LG Phoenix. I lost my phone recently and that phone had the same problem not caring it in my pocket. I bought an identical phone and it was fine for about 2 weeks and then started doing the same thing. It seems like it does not want to charge when I have it plugged in to charge and it gets very warm sitting by itself plugged in in my car while I am in at work. No the car is not hot. I have just taken the battery out waited a few minutes put it back in and it seems to be staying on the cooler side. I have dealt with this for quite a while and random things I do at different times work other times they don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781