Battery life: S3 vs Nexus

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
will i get a better battery life with the s3 than i am with the nexus? i know s3 has the 2100 battery and that's what i'm using on my nexus but that only gets me 6 to 8 hours with my use (with most of my use being on wifi). i lose about 10% battery an hour with it just being in my pocket. when i end up using it, it doubles. will my experience on the s3 be same, better or worse? is there an extended battery for s3?

also, i read on another post that data connection can't be toggled off so quickly? i use widgetsoid to toggle my data and wifi and other things and i use it regularly. not being able to turn off data to save battery could be a huge problem for me.

thanks.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I do not nor have I used a Nexus for more than a few hours, but if that is all you are getting right now, the answer is a big yes. I get 12-16 hours of heavy use out of my SGS3.

I am not sure where you read about the toggles, but it is as easy to do on the SGS as any other phone. Especially if you are using a widget. You may have that confused with switching between 3G and 4G.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Having owned both phones I can say I get better battery life on my GS3 and I had the 2100mah battery on my GNex as well. It really depends on the user though as well as how well your coverage/connections are.

Also I don't believe that there is a toggle to quickly turn on/off data... I'm using a custom ROM so I do have one built in... I think most people use a 3rd party app/widget as you mentioned.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Also I don't believe that there is a toggle to quickly turn on/off data... I'm using a custom ROM so I do have one built in... I think most people use a 3rd party app/widget as you mentioned.

I stand corrected, but like you I never stayed stock long enough to really remember. The OP did mention that they use a widget so I am guessing it wouldnt be a change for them

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
ok cool thanks for the info. yea i thought it was weird that you couldn't turn toggle data on and off. maybe they did mean 4g to 3g. all that was mentioned ever on the thread is "toggling 4g" so i assumed that means they wanted to turn data (4g) on and off and they couldn't.

i'll probably be getting a spare battery anyway cause it's not the razr maxx.

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
cool. good to hear. hoping that it's a phone that i can live with for at least a year and not hate it by next year like i do my current one lol.

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I have had both the GNex and S3. Idle and talk time are dramatically better on the S3. A 10 minute call used to drain 5-6% of my battery on my GNex but on my S3 I might lose 1%. General in use time is probably a bit better but I didn't find it to be dramatically better as the screen is probably an equal power draw on both.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I switched to the S3 from the nexus as well and my battery life has been amazing. Previous use with my nexus got me anywhere from 6-8 hours of medium to heavy usage. So far with my S3 I've gotten double that. Highly recommend the switch!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

morbidz

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
switched from gnex a month ago. battery life has about doubled. Easy 18+ hours with heavy use (close to 4 1/2 hours screen time) all on 4G. I ran AOKP on the nexus and running AOKP on S3 as well

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
switched from gnex a month ago. battery life has about doubled. Easy 18+ hours with heavy use (close to 4 1/2 hours screen time) all on 4G. I ran AOKP on the nexus and running AOKP on S3 as well

do you attribute part of that battery life due to your rom? i always thought that the stock would be more battery efficient.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I currently own both devices. I switched to the S3 from the Gnex. I can promise youll get better battery out of the S3. I can get over a day using my S3 and having a blast. My Gnex wont make it three days just sitting on my desk doing nothing. I can go through a day and still have 70%+ on my S3 and thats with using it. My Gnex would always be below 40% at the end of a day and I didnt use it as much.

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I currently own both devices. I switched to the S3 from the Gnex. I can promise youll get better battery out of the S3. I can get over a day using my S3 and having a blast. My Gnex wont make it three days just sitting on my desk doing nothing. I can go through a day and still have 70%+ on my S3 and thats with using it. My Gnex would always be below 40% at the end of a day and I didnt use it as much.

for people talking about the nexus battery, you're talking about the 2100 mah battery right? because if you're talking about the stock 1850 mah, naturally, s3's 2100mah would last longer. yea right now, i'm lucky to get 6hrs if i'm not on wifi and i actually use it (on 2100mah).

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Here's a screenshot I took just a few minutes ago. Stock Battery. Yes, I've been on wifi most of the day, for what it's worth...

Screenshot_2012-10-26-20-55-42.png

Pretty good if you ask me.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
for people talking about the nexus battery, you're talking about the 2100 mah battery right? because if you're talking about the stock 1850 mah, naturally, s3's 2100mah would last longer. yea right now, i'm lucky to get 6hrs if i'm not on wifi and i actually use it (on 2100mah).

Even if you put an 1850 in the sgs you are gonna do better vs the gnex. The SoC itself will dramatically increase battery life

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

gaijin82

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
The gs3 has a button to turn off mobile data directly from the drop down menu. You can pretty much toggle anything on or off from there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Yes I was talking about the extended battery :)

LAKingsDru

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I just switched yesterday and I'm lloving the battery life compared to the juice sucker that was the nexus. Love love this phone

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2