Why is my Galaxy Nexus so much faster than my GF's GS3?

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus and it seems to be a lot faster than my girlfriend's galaxy s3. For instance, if I play the game Ski Safari I get absolutely no lag. When she plays it, the touch response is horrible and its choppy. Even just flipping through her 3 home screens its way slower than my 5. What gives? Anyone else here have laggy s3's?

She said she recently got an update that seems to have made it slower.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
hmmm i want to know the answer to this because i'm going to switch to s3 from galaxy nexus which to me is slow.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus and it seems to be a lot faster than my girlfriend's galaxy s3. For instance, if I play the game Ski Safari I get absolutely no lag. When she plays it, the touch response is horrible and its choppy. Even just flipping through her 3 home screens its way slower than my 5. What gives? Anyone else here have laggy s3's?

Better software. Not only that, but software that is completely optimized for the device.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Better software. Not only that, but software that is completely optimized for the device.

I thought that might be it. That just sounds too simple to me I guess. I was just thinking about how she also still only has ICS. Maybe once JB is released it'll be as fast as I would expect. I just don't understand why I always hear how fast that phone is when my nexus that came out like 6 or 8 months before it is much smoother and quicker.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Your on jb she is on ics

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean using Tapatalk 2

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

Make sure she doesn't have power saving mode checked. That is the number one cause of lag. I have hd games that don't lag at all. Power saving mode will slow down the cpu and make things get slow and choppy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Make sure she doesn't have power saving mode checked. That is the number one cause of lag. I have hd games that don't lag at all. Power saving mode will slow down the cpu and make things get slow and choppy.

I am almost positive she does! Thanks for the tip!

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
She did have that turned on. I told her to turn it off and its way faster now. Thanks a lot.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

She did have that turned on. I told her to turn it off and its way faster now. Thanks a lot.

I can't remember if that is a default setting or not (if it is, it SHOULD NOT be), but I really wish that setting came with a disclaimer on how it will affect the device's performance. I think most folks see that and think, "power saving...sounds good to me!".

Glad that was it. Regardless of what was said above regarding software versions and such (all of which may be true to some extent), there really should NOT be any noticeable lag on an S3 compared to the GNex. Not saying one phone is better than the other -- but both should be able to handle most apps with very similar performance.

The Verizon S3 may still be running ICS, but the stock OS on this device really is pretty decent...hoping things only get better with JB.