Cell standby??

mgindi26

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out if it's normal to have so much of my battery usage being used by cell standby? I'm used to my display taking most of my power from my razr maxx days and am new to gs3. Is something wrong with my radio or settings. The phones been on since 730 last night but mostly not used as I was either sleeping or making sure to conserve power as we have no electricity since the storm and can only charge in my car.
My screen on time is 1hour 57 minutes. Which means I used phone less than 2 hours and down to 33%. Also when I'm using it the battery goes down 1 percent every 1 to 2 minutes. And my screen is set to under 50% brightness. It's a brand new battery but the phone is a replacement that Verizon gave me for my razr.
So is the radio supposed to use so much or is my phone messed up and I should get another?
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1351619535652.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1351619535652.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 51

rockhopperGS3

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I noticed mine had drained as well this morning, when I checked my cell standby had drained it. It said I had lost signal for a hour or so and was draining the batt constanly searching for signal. It drains real fast when this is the case. Probly a verizon screw up as usual.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out if it's normal to have so much of my battery usage being used by cell standby? I'm used to my display taking most of my power from my razr maxx days and am new to gs3. Is something wrong with my radio or settings. The phones been on since 730 last night but mostly not used as I was either sleeping or making sure to conserve power as we have no electricity since the storm and can only charge in my car.
My screen on time is 1hour 57 minutes. Which means I used phone less than 2 hours and down to 33%. Also when I'm using it the battery goes down 1 percent every 1 to 2 minutes. And my screen is set to under 50% brightness. It's a brand new battery but the phone is a replacement that Verizon gave me for my razr.
So is the radio supposed to use so much or is my phone messed up and I should get another?
Thanks

Look for other posts about this. Basically the number is inflated incorrectly. It always shows higher than it should for some reason.

Kennyb123

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
With 2 hours of screen on time, your numbers seem about right. The phone can handle about 4 hours of screen on time. So, with 18 hours of standby, it seems right to me.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
After 18 hrs of usage you think you're battery is bad. You should my phone usage on my normal battery.

"all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others" animal bylaws- animal farm

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
^What they said.
I haven't seen any facts about the artificially inflated cell standby numbers, but from looking at your screenshot:
1. Turn the mobile data connection off - that's a battery hog
2. Turn off the Google location service - another battery user
If you can stand brightness even lower then do that too - mine is usually at 1% (indoors)

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Bidoof Powers

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
What I figured out, is that if you are connected to a wifi connection, and it isn't in range, cell standby drains the battery looking for it. If you get out of range, it would be best to turn off the wifi, until you return to that location again. It works for me.