Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: there is a way to remove the constant wi-fi notification on the s3

Will this reset ehen the phone is power cycled?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: there is an answer to this problem

Quote Originally Posted by Jevangil View Post
    I believe the notifications it mentions are for notifying you of wifi networks in the area. If the OP is talking about the signal indicator on the notification bar, I believe the only way to remove it if stock is to turn off wifi.

Note2 or Note10, that is the question
    No, I'm talking about the ongoing notification in the pull down. When you pull it down it says what network you are connected to, if the wifi is off, it says "tap to turn on wifi"

Quote Originally Posted by MrTK412 View Post
    Ive been wondering for some time too how to get rid of the notif. It would never come up for me in the ice cream sandwich build of my s3, but I updated to jelly bean and I couldnt get it to go away.

What you have to do is hold down on the wifi notification and you will get a popup that says app info. Force disable it and the notification will be gone. Found this out today, finally no more wifi notification!!
    When I do this, the app it pulls up is the Android System, wouldn't disabling that essentially stop my phone?

Hold on to the wifi notification and press app info. Once you get there press force stop. Then, you will have no wifi notification. To get this back, just reboot your phone.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrTK412 View Post
    Ive been wondering for some time too how to get rid of the notif. It would never come up for me in the ice cream sandwich build of my s3, but I updated to jelly bean and I couldnt get it to go away.

What you have to do is hold down on the wifi notification and you will get a popup that says app info. Force disable it and the notification will be gone. Found this out today, finally no more wifi notification!!
    Thanks! This worked for me

But what does it mean to disable the "Settings" app?

Oddly you can still open settings and it does not restart. Not sure what's being turned off.

This works without root. Turn wifi off, pull down notification bar, and long press on "wifi off" an app info Window appears. Click on it, Then force close that android system process. Voilà, no notifications. It's simple easy and you can't hurt anything. Though it's only gone until you turn on wifi again, so make sure you in check the auto connect box in wifi settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholi2789 View Post
    This works without root. Turn wifi off, pull down notification bar, and long press on "wifi off" an app info Window appears. Click on it, Then force close that android system process. Voilà, no notifications. It's simple easy and you can't hurt anything. Though it's only gone until you turn on wifi again, so make sure you in check the auto connect box in wifi settings.
    Problem with this method is it stops other Android System processes thus you may not get other notifications. Also Android System controls so much of the phone processes you are really screwing other applications that feed off of the main app. Personally I can't stand the multiple "you are connected to xyz" nor do I like the wifi info in my pull down bar but I need Android System running correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by rxgadget View Post
    Problem with this method is it stops other Android System processes thus you may not get other notifications. Also Android System controls so much of the phone processes you are really screwing other applications that feed off of the main app. Personally I can't stand the multiple "you are connected to xyz" nor do I like the wifi info in my pull down bar but I need Android System running correctly.
    I've been using this method for months and it doesn't effect ANYTHING else. It just stops the ongoing Wifi process. I get all my notifications just like normal, everything works just fine. I saw it on the dribbler app a few months ago and have been using it since with no complaints.

Sent from my rooted Galaxy S3 on 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Pull down the bar on the home screen and then long press the WiFi notification. It will say something like "About this App" and you can click on that and disable it.

ROM
    stock 4.1.2

So after reading through the posts, there still isn't a way to permanently turn off this notification without rooting? Only had my phone a week and this is the 2nd annoying "problem" with it (other "problem is the pesky BU Assistant notification)

Root and take control of your device.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by redcat22 View Post
    So after reading through the posts, there still isn't a way to permanently turn off this notification without rooting? Only had my phone a week and this is the 2nd annoying "problem" with it (other "problem is the pesky BU Assistant notification)
    Unfortunately no. Besides the long press method I detailed a few posts back there is no way to remove it short of flashing a custom rom. If things like that wifi notification and backup assistant bother you, then you are already a step removed from the general smart phone using populous and will only find more things like this that irritate you. You really should just root and get it over with. I know it's intimidating when you have never done it before but it really is very easy. It's mostly a matter of selecting a file and clicking flash.
    All you need is a functioning Windows computer to root it in the first place, then after that you can download and flash Roms directly from your custom recovery and won't have to use a computer save to flash back to stock. And even then you might not have to. Zip flashable files are becoming more and more prevalent for the S3.
    This guide right here: is what I used and haven't looked back since. I would HIGHLY recommend watching the DroidmodderX video that's linked in the thread as it has more detailed instructions. Even if you just root and use the stock Rom, you can still find stock roms that are debloated and have thing like Backup assistant and the wifi suggestion removed but everything else the same.
    Once you do it you will wonder why you ever stayed stock. I just did it a couple months ago and am modifying my own roms and doing other stuff like that. You learn quick!
    C'mon, join the ever increasing ranks of us Android modders!
    Verizon Galaxy S4>>JellyBeans B4>>KT-747>>64gb SanDisk ext SD.

Still got much love for my retired S3.. Man do I miss MOAR

"If you're killed in the Matrix...You die here?"
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Verizon Galaxy S3
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Verizon HTC Incredible 2

ROM
    stock 4.1.2

C'mon, join the ever increasing ranks of us Android modders!
    Whoa whoa, slow down fella lol. Before getting the GS3 i rooted my Tbolt. Basically, with that phone, you almost had to root it to enjoy it haha. I'm hoping that the GS3 will be different in that regard. I'm haven't quite reached that point. We'll see, it's only been a week.

Whoa whoa, slow down fella lol. Before getting the GS3 i rooted my Tbolt. Basically, with that phone, you almost had to root it to enjoy it haha. I'm hoping that the GS3 will be different in that regard. I'm haven't quite reached that point. We'll see, it's only been a week.
    Rooting the GS3 is nothing like rooting an HTC device. The S3 is a breeze compared to that. I remember my Droid incredible 2....phew,boy was that a nightmare to put a Rom on. Had to give away your warranty and S-off and all that nonsense... For the S3 on Jelly bean you just flash an insecure boot image, then custom recovery, and install SuperSU/Unlocked bootloader and your done. Sounds complicated but it's not.

Verizon Galaxy S4
    Verizon Galaxy S3
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Verizon HTC Incredible 2

ROM
    stock 4.1.2

Rooting the GS3 is nothing like rooting an HTC device. The S3 is a breeze compared to that. I remember my Droid incredible 2....phew,boy was that a nightmare to put a Rom on. Had to give away your warranty and S-off and all that nonsense... For the S3 on Jelly bean you just flash an insecure boot image, then custom recovery, and install SuperSU/Unlocked bootloader and your done. Sounds complicated but it's not.
    Yes, like I said, I rooted my Tbolt which is harder than the GS3. Therefore, I'm not too worried about rooting the GS3 if/when the time comes. It doesn't sound complicated because I've rooted before. I don't think you're a bad person, but you speak in a condescending way. Try to read a post for what it is and not assume the other person is an ***** lol.

Yes, like I said, I rooted my Tbolt which is harder than the GS3. Therefore, I'm not too worried about rooting the GS3 if/when the time comes. It doesn't sound complicated because I've rooted before. I don't think you're a bad person, but you speak in a condescending way. Try to read a post for what it is and not assume the other person is an ***** lol.
    I wasn't trying to be condescending. Just 90% of the people on this forum don't know anything about rooting, so that's what I'm used to. I come over here to be helpful to people who are having problems because everyone at XDA has zero tolerance for new people which sucks. Though, I am glad you don't think I'm a bad person, I will sleep better tonight.

Verizon Galaxy S4
    Verizon Galaxy S3
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Verizon HTC Incredible 2

ROM
    stock 4.1.2

I wasn't trying to be condescending. Just 90% of the people on this forum don't know anything about rooting, so that's what I'm used to. I come over here to be helpful to people who are having problems because everyone at XDA has zero tolerance for new people which sucks. Though, I am glad you don't think I'm a bad person, I will sleep better tonight.
    I understand you're not trying to be condescending. But you speak that way nonetheless. When I said I had rooted my Tbolt (placing me in the 10% of people that know about it), you continued to speak in a manner that would suggest I knew nothing of the subject. Hence, my informative post to you. Sweet dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.holtz View Post
    Don't know if this will help but I had the same problem on my note 2 I just got. It's called "connection optimizer" .... here's the link: Wifi keeps turning itself on!?!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums
    Thank you!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12