Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GSDer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

Default How to back up old phone SMS and transfer to new phone?

I wasn't to back up my SMS on my thunderbolt and transfer them to a new s3. I currently use go SMS, and they offer premium back up and restore as an option. I can't find out if that option allows for transferring between different phone models? I am backed up using indefend mobile, but also not sure if I can restore the back up to a different model phone? Thanks for the help

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    1,049 Global Posts
    ROM
    ice cold sandwich aokp

Default Re: How to back up old phone SMS and transfer to new phone?

Just dump it to the SD card and use a file explorer to see if it will be read should work
    INSPIRE AOKP ICE COLD SANDWICH ROM

Or you can try (30 day trial) - that definitely works, since I just used it to backup > 7,000 SMS from my wife's old phone to her replacement. I don't remember how many MMS there were, but there were a bunch of those too (she's a packrat - she can't get rid of anything). It took a long time, but I just started the restore and went to bed.

With all of that said, I'd imagine that Go SMS would handle that, and it shouldn't care that you're moving that to a new phone. Just be sure to backup to your current SDCard, put that in your new phone and then do the restore.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    Schalonda Shaw likes this.

I used SMS Backup & Restore. Worked perfectly.

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock VZW ROM

I use SMS backup and it's helped me move my text and MMS from my Droid X to thid GS3.

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk 2

I used "My Backup" ... worked like a charm. Just save the SMS backup to my SD card on phone, popped it in the new one and ran a restore.

Would you mind if I asked how you did this? I'm having trouble what to choose when transferring.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Pansi SMS is an amazing messaging app which allows you to create a local backup. installl the app on the new phone and restore from the backup. it keeps the correct date and time stamps on the backup.

I like SMS Backup+-->

I've been using Mobile backup 2 from the play store. It backs up contacts, calendar, call logs and sms.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Stacey,
    Here's some guidance on what to choose when making a backup; do basically the same thing when restoring:
    How to back up old phone SMS and transfer to new phone?-uploadfromtaptalk1362938388086.jpgHow to back up old phone SMS and transfer to new phone?-uploadfromtaptalk1362938405933.jpgHow to back up old phone SMS and transfer to new phone?-uploadfromtaptalk1362938420316.jpgSent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by GSDer; 03-10-2013 at 01:15 PM.

PS. If you don't see the SDCard shown in the selection dialog, do this:
    1. Press the Menu button, you should see some additional informationHow to back up old phone SMS and transfer to new phone?-uploadfromtaptalk1362939820272.jpg2. Choose Options
    3. Choose Backup Location, then enter /mnt/extSdCardHow to back up old phone SMS and transfer to new phone?-uploadfromtaptalk1362939853539.jpgSent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Or just use the Kies software on your PC - it does support MMS backup/restore.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

I wonder what would happen if I don't have an external SD card.

Anna,
    The Kies software on your PC or Mac is the best bet if you don't have an SD card.

There are some apps (ex. Helium: ) that allow you to backup to the cloud (ex. Google Drive; Dropbox), but none of the ones I've looked at handle MMS; just SMS.

Edit: welcome to the forums.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaMartin View Post
    I wonder what would happen if I don't have an external SD card.
    If you're on Verizon try the Verizon Messaging app. It offers free cloud back up of SMS & MMS. I just used it to transfer all messages from my GS3 to my X.

Sent via the X!

Will any of the above-mentioned backup apps allow saving to a flash drive connected to the port?
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE

AxlMyk,
    That's a tough one - Helium allows backup to SD card and the cloud, and it might even allow backup to your PC, but I don't think it supports a USB-on-the-go connected flash drive. I've certainly never tried that.

I suppose you could backup to the SD card and then use your favorite file manager to copy the backup to the flash drive...

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    I suppose you could backup to the SD card and then use your favorite file manager to copy the backup to the flash drive...
    Which would probably be just as easy to do.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 4gLTE