1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default S3 used as a phone.

Ok I'm lazy and didn't feel like spending the time to search for this.
    But how well does the Galaxy S3 work as a phone. I've got a HTC Thunderbolt and the phone sucks. Unless I have 4 or 5 bars the phone will drop voice all the time. ie I can hear the person on the other end but they can not hear me.

I'm not looking for super long battery life, as in days, but I'm hoping I can get at least12 -16 hours without needed a charge. My signal at work is hit or miss 3G and I use the data part about an hour or two each day. (Read news, check stocks, oil prices etc)

TIA

Wedge

Default Re: S3 used as a phone.

I actually moved from the thunderbolt to the s3 and i love it! i've simply had no issues at all....none. i have to say though that i've already preordered a note 2 since thats ultimately what i've been waiting for. the s3 feels tiny compared to the thunderbolt. my battery life has been good. i took it off the charger this morning at 5:30am.....have used it heavily streaming dish tv for an hour while walking (screen on the whole time)...and then moderate checking email, texts, etc. It's almost 8:30am and i'm at 70%. I'm a girl and go no where without a hand bag of some sort, and i always carry a small external battery pack with me cuz i'm ocd about running out of battery, but i admit i don't use it very often

Flawless. Vary clear.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Also came from a Thunderbolt. Granted, I honestly had no issues with the phone on that device, but none the less, EVERYTHING is an improvement with the S3, including phone and battery life.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for responses so far. I was one of the people waiting for Verizon to open when the Thunderbolt came out. Decided never to be a beta tester again. The S3 has been out for six months or more so I'm pretty sure it's stable. Like I said I dont have any real issues with the Thunderbolt other then the phone loses half the connections on calls. Now most of my calls are iffy on signal strength, but I never understood why I could hear the conversation just fine but they couldn't hear me. I know the battery issue with the Thunderbolt was big deal, but I've got chargers at home, in the car and at work. So if it gets low I just plug it in for a few hours. I've still got a few weeks before I can upgrade, but have pretty much decided on the S3. I guess I should stop in the store and play with one a little bit. At first I was a little disappointed with the color selection till I found out it does come in black. LOL

Wedge

Global Posts
    958 Global Posts

Agree with the others here. I've had no issues even receiving and sending calls at home. We have an aluminum roof and have had problems in the past with other phones dropping calls, or poor reception and call quality. Had to go outside to be sure I could take some calls. Not a big deal this time of year, but during the long summer its "insta sweat" and swarming mosquito squadrons soon as you leave the house. Granted some of the earlier call issues could have been due to network issues. Needless to say I'm sensitive to signal strength, dropped calls, or reception quality. My GS3 has been great in this aspect.

The signal is much worse than other phones ive had including the Droid Charge. The SG3 is a great device if you're not using it as a phone which a lot of people don't nowadays. I unfortunately make a ton of calls and the SG3 drops more calls than anything I've ever owned.
    Chicks Dig The Long Ball

Global Posts
    6,875 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

I haven't had one dropped call since I got mine over a month ago. 12-16 hours without a charge is not likely, unless you only use it as a phone and never play around with it. There are extended batteries you can buy, which might make that more of a reality, and there's a new case that just came out yesterday that has a built in battery. Can't remember the name of it, but you probably know people with iPhones that have that case. It goes for $100.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel

Global Posts
    757 Global Posts

Also switched from the Thunderbolt. Even though I prefer HTC, the SIII is an upgrade in all respects.
    The only dropped calls I have experienced are problems on the OTHER end. My SIII is good.
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Have never dropped a call. In fact I have have had zero issues with the phone.

I live on a fringe area that doesn't get a good signal.. My S3 won't even ring at my house and I have to go outside most of the time to make a call or send a text.. My rezound's signal was much better... The one thing I do at home is Forward my calls to my house phone and that way it rings when someone calls my S3.. this can be done by dialing *72 (xxx)XXX-XXXX with the number you want to forward to inserted.. then when you leave just dial *73 to cancel it

I never had phone problems with my HTC Thunderbolt - I also haven't had any phone problems with the SGSIII, but I live in an area with pretty good Verizon coverage. I'd suggest looking into the Motorola RAZR Maxx HD, since you'll definitely be able to trust that battery life. Motorola also has a pretty good track record with radios so you should have good phone/data reception.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2