Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    84 Global Posts

Default How long will the s3 be relevant?

So my contract on my thunderbolt is finally up on the 21st of November...I'm so ready to be done with this phone. I like the s3, but don't want to be left in the dust in 6 months or a year. I'm trying to decide if I should buy on contract, find one off contract and wait to see what is coming out, or hang on to the bolt for the rest of the year. I'm excited that lifeproof if bringing a case for the s3 to market, that is a strong point for the s3. I know there will always be something better on the horizon, but the s3 is already 6 months into its lifecycle. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: How long will the s3 be relevant?

In my opinion this is a very future proof phone. The 2GB of ram still beats some brand new phones like the razr that just came out. It has nfc, an awesome camera on both sides and the processor will be able to keep up with anything for quite awhile. Samsung also had or still does have a good relationship with Google so I have faith they will keep the updates coming. Think of this as Samsung's iPhone in that they will keep it up for at least two years and honestly what comes out at this point will only have some ridiculous spec like a 1080p screen just to stay ahead but nothing that makes this one not capable of all new android versions and apps. I just got mine yesterday and have not put it down and I am extremely picky or am bored quickly with new phones and this is the first phone since the original droid that I have felt great about.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

I believe the SGS III will have a good lifespan still in the future. It has some very cutting edge hardware and technology. As you stated there is always bigger and better on the horizon but in the case of the SGS III there is still very valid life left in buying into it on contract. If its something that does concern you as you stated your open to the option of buying off contract which would keep the door open for future releases of device by allowing you to hold onto your upgrade.

My wife has the SGSIII and even though I don't use it much every time I do pick it up I feel very comfortable using it and always am impressed by what Samsung has offered this time around.

Final thought, if you are open to rooting your devices that is one area where I know the SGS III will continue to have a VERY long life span is via the development community.

Good luck with your decision.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

The S3 is the Evo4G of 3+ years ago...but better.

Depends on your definition of "relevant"...

If you upgrade is up on Nov 21st, that's good timing because many new phones are released right around Thanksgiving (US) in time for the holiday shopping season, so by then you'll know if there are any newer devices out there worth buying and/or if the S3 is still on par spec-wise with this new devices.

Global Posts
    703 Global Posts

i would say until s4? or maybe when motorola catches up it's maxx line with samsung hardware.
    Motorola Droid Maxx

Having recently alighted from the HPalm/WebOS martyr's tree, (hanging onto a Pre2 for dear life until it pretty much fell apart),I feel the definition of a "relavent lifespan" in an area as fast-paced as mobile communications (not just hardware, but software platforms, emerging standards (think HTML5/Flash in recent years, etc, etc.)) is very much up for grabs, and not to be measured in anything longer than 1 (one) year periods. WebOS was amazing, and ahead of its time, and all kinds of great things... 2.5 years ago. I was petrified of leaving my Card-based multi-tasking and Synergy global search behind. I miss parts of that (had an S3 for all of 1 week), but its not so bad moving on to the next cool thing. And the S3 is definitely that!

With this 1 year horizon in mind, it is really unfortunate that all the carriers went back to 2 year upgrade programs... I think individual plan holders, and family plan members will probably start hopping between carriers with greater regularity in order to avoid punitive charges for new hardware. If you add up the "early termination" fees with the reduced price per line for new phones on a new plan at a new carrier, I think folks would save about $200 / line for a current model smartphone. With the major carriers getting closer and closer to parity on performance and coverage, "MY ATT&T vs YOUR VERIZON" arguments would become less important, and it would be more about "MY iPHONE 17 vs. YOUR GALAXY XV"!.

Sorry about the ramble...

russ

I'm pretty sure the Galaxy S3 will still very very fast and useful for at least the next 18 to 24 months.
    Heck, I can say the same about my other phone, the Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

Of course, in 12 months, there may be a new smartphone with 2GHz processor12 cores, 8GB RAM, 1920x1080 resolution,
    18-hour talk time, 7-day standby time, etc... all in a phone roughly the same size as the current SIII....

If that happens, I'm obviously going to ditch my S3 and Galaxy Nexus then.

If you're not tied to Verizon's apron strings why not look at the new LG Nexus 4? It appears to have great specs, gets you the real Google experience and from what I've read you can snag one at retail (ie no contract) with a cheap month-to-month rate. The only downside is no 4G.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

The S3 will be relevant until the S4 comes out. All the new phones coming out right now are missing something. For example, the Nexus 4, Optimus G and One X+ are rocking the new generation quad-core processors but then they don't have removable batteries and/or expandable storage. These are two things I must have on any phone I buy...and it will remain this way until manufacturers start offering 128GB integrated and 16+ hour battery life under heavy use. The upcoming HTC droid DLX likely won't have removable battery and expandable storage. If it does have them, it could be the new halo phone. But for now, Samsung seems to be the only company smart enough to put a little bit of everything on the table for all consumers to choose from. So yeah, the Galaxy S4 will probably be the first phone to dethrone the S3.
    Last edited by Roffles; 11-03-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roffles View Post
    The S3 will be relevant until the S4 comes out. All the new phones coming out right now are missing something. For example, the Nexus 4, Optimus G and One X+ are rocking the new generation quad-core processors but then they don't have removable batteries and/or expandable storage. These are two things I must have on any phone I buy...and it will remain this way until manufacturers start offering 128GB integrated and 16+ hour battery life under heavy use. The upcoming HTC droid DLX likely won't have removable battery and expandable storage. If it does have them, it could be the new halo phone. But for now, Samsung seems to be the only company smart enough to put a little bit of everything on the table for all consumers to choose from. So yeah, the Galaxy S4 will probably be the first phone to dethrone the S3.
    I disagree with one of your statements. The Galaxy Note 2 is the best phone that truly has it all. Your other comments are spot on.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2. Baddest phone on the planet.
    If I were never here, you would never know.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams View Post
    I disagree with one of your statements. The Galaxy Note 2 is the best phone that truly has it all. Your other comments are spot on.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2. Baddest phone on the planet.
    That's cool. All the reviewers who talk about the Note 2 love it to death. But how can you say it truly does it all when it's too big for most people to carry in their pockets or use with one hand? The size of the S3 is pushing it as it is...the Note 2 takes it to a whole new level. It's great that you're enjoying your new purchase, but surely you understand most people don't want a phablet. It's just too big to be considered a normal phone.

S3 definitely has the hardware to run future versions of Android but the thing is will Samsung release those updates? And on top of that, how long will that take them? They haven't even released Jelly Bean for S2 yet and then there's the carriers distribution process...

Yeah this device will be plenty fast and more than capable within the next six months or year even. It will be especially more enjoyable in comparison to that Thunderbolt.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

I really don't see the S3 being "left in the dust" any time soon. As a whole package, I think it is easily the best smarphone in the market right now, specially the international version with the quad-core processor. It is a beast of a phone and will have no trouble running any new Android version or app that comes out in the next 18-24 months. It is also a very popular and well supported phone so you won't have trouble getting things like accessories for it.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
    I really don't see the S3 being "left in the dust" any time soon. As a whole package, I think it is easily the best smarphone in the market right now, specially the international version with the quad-core processor. It is a beast of a phone and will have no trouble running any new Android version or app that comes out in the next 18-24 months. It is also a very popular and well supported phone so you won't have trouble getting things like accessories for it.
    Not to mention there's always ROOT if you get fed up with the phone in stock flavors...(This is the longest I've ever had a smartphone without root)

Quote Originally Posted by onevivip View Post
    S3 definitely has the hardware to run future versions of Android but the thing is will Samsung release those updates? And on top of that, how long will that take them? They haven't even released Jelly Bean for S2 yet and then there's the carriers distribution process...
    Hi

I'm not 100% sure about this, but the release dates are normally driven by individual carriers. Verizon is notorious for being slow on pushing updates out. In the case of the S3, I'm sure they will have to do "compehensive testing to ensure the wonderful bootloader is working just fine"!
    #teamandroid

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts

As much as I love mine, I'm moving to a Nexus4 for that reason. Yes, it is future proof - until the GS4 comes out next year, then I have a sneaky suspicion it will be left behind, just like the GS2 is now. Who would have thought that a year ago your state of the art GS2 would be completely overshadowed by the GS3 in such a short space of time.

If you want the latest cutting edge software, buy a Nexus

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

If your concern is buying a phone that will stay relevant buy an iphone all android phones get outdated in 6-9months ...not hating just the reality

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    onevivip likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by russraff32 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure about this, but the release dates are normally driven by individual carriers. Verizon is notorious for being slow on pushing updates out. In the case of the S3, I'm sure they will have to do "compehensive testing to ensure the wonderful bootloader is working just fine"!
    Well as others have said before, it's a 3 stage distribution process. Google, OEM (in this case, Samsung), Carrier. If you do a quick Google search, it seems that Samsung haven't even released it themselves. After they do, which is reported to be before the end of this year, you'll still have to wait for the carrier distribution process.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

S3 will still be a top phone till s4 released next year

Sent from my GT-I9300 quad

Quote Originally Posted by scaramouch1 View Post
    S3 will still be a top phone till s4 released next year

Sent from my GT-I9300 quad
    true...

but how long will the s4 be relevant?

Last edited by af250xxl; 11-10-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Another 12mths or so
    ⚅ ⚀
    ⚄ ⚁

⚃ ⚂

Sent from my GT-I9300

NEWS FLASH

Its official the Samsung Galaxy s3 Smartphone is no longer relevent

⇨ Exit this way - close the door

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

There are really two questions being asked here. "How long will the S3 be considered a "hot" phone?", and then you have the "how long will the S3 be considered decent and not be some old and slow POS compared to newer devices?". Obviously the Note 2 takes a bit of steam out of the S3, but the Note 2 also costs quite a bit more on contract, so the S3 will continue to do well. The S4 will make the S3 the "old model", but 2GB of RAM will keep the S3 going strong overall and keep it useful, even when it is no longer a cutting edge phone.

Most people can handle not having the absolute best device, but they don't want a phone that will be obsolete and a piece of junk within a year of buying it. The S3 SHOULD be fine through the end of 2013 at LEAST. I don't see phones NEEDING 3GB of RAM until 2014 at the very earliest. Once we get Jelly Bean(4.1), the big question then becomes if we get Key Lime Pie or not, and that has not been mentioned by ANYONE. I expect that even if Samsung doesn't do it, the community WILL make it work on the S3, so be prepared for THAT. At the least, we should have THAT way to go.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast