Keep Iphone 5 or S3??

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The only thing that I can really think of that would be a drawback to switching is if you have a lot of purchased music/apps/video/etc on iTunes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the S3 isn't a better phone, it is...but that's about the only valid reason I could think of for holding onto iPhone (of course, even if that is the case...I'd still remove myself from the iTunes shackles!).

For some, the iPhone is the right choice. For example mom and step-dad both have one, they're in their 60's and don't really "get" computers, so they like how easy the iPhone is to use. I had to set up their iPhones for them, and became frustrated at the complete lack of actual user settings that can be adjusted...but I guess that's the point for folks who don't want to have to deal with that sort of thing.

I used to use iTunes...I can still drag/drop/play all my iTunes library on my GS3...so what's the point of an iPhone again?

I was referring to purchased material. Granted, I've never tried because I don't use iTunes, but can you really play a song purchased on iTunes (.m4p file) on the S3? I didn't think so....or has it been so long since I've used iTunes that this isn't a problem any more?

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
For me, the ip5 is like a cute little baby toy. I get it, it works great and many many people love it and it's not really a toy - it is still a fast, well built phone with a very stable os. aaaaaaand boring, as you've said. I like my android widgets and ability to customize my phone in just about every way. I want my homescreens to do more for me than be a stupid app drawer. Besides just the usefulness I find with Android vs ios, I also am not a fan of the apple mindset where it's their way or the highway. Here's an example - Apple just built in more support for emoji and has kicked all emoji apps out of the app store so they don't compete with Apple's built in capability. Would google do that? Absolutely not.

And I also love the big screen. Anything smaller now just looks tiny. Even holding the ip5 at the store felt weird, like it was just abnormally small or something. Geez, I'm even giving thought to the note 2 when available...

Even with all of that, I could never stand ONE button. For functionality that makes it a toy for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

chadderbox

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
For me having had both the iPhone up to 4S, the difference is huge. The flexibility and customization allowed on the S3 compared to an iPhone is night and day. I love the fact that I can flash ROMS and make the phone do what I want and customize to way I like. The screen is much brighter but in my opinion not as sharp as the iPhones screen, but the size, weight, and flexibility makes me glad I changed.

Podgorica

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I have an iphone 4 and am on the fence between sg3, iphone 5 and note 2. Iphone 5 doesnt do anything different for me. Played with sg3 and i love it. Main feature is the size of the screen, expandable memory card slot and i see android surpassed ios. Last time i used android was 2.5 years ago and am really impressed. I think i may wait foe black friday to see if they have some sales on sg3 bcz note 2 may be too big for listening to the music at the gym lol

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I went with the S3. I had the iPhone4, and I still have one for work. It's never on, but that;'s beside the point :). I am coming off the Razr Maxx, and I like Android better than iOS. I liked the screen of the S3, even though all the gurus tell me I should hate it because it uses the pentile layout. Well, so does my Maxx on a less dense screen and I can read it just fine, thanks anyway. Android lets me do all kinds of things - like launchers and widgets - that iOS will not, which lets me make the phone exactly how I want it to be. If I want I can also flash a new ROM.

The iPhone as an object is a work of art, no question. But as a tool you have to use all the time every day? Unless it's just as nice in use as it is to look at turned off, I say go with something else.

I have an iPad3 and yeah, the screen is awesome. But it's boring. It the apps weren't there it would be just another slab of glass and plastic.

tdkirk7

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I did exactly that. Hated the 5. Was a joke IMO. So I sent it back and I love the S3 and all the things that bugged me about Android in the past are all near being completely gone. Especially when I get JB with Project Butter on it. I dont know you obviously but I decided for myself if I was already not enjoying the i5 then in 6 months I would probably hate it. I love my GS3 and am now thinking I am gonna get an Android tablet next cause getting on my ipad now is just boring for me. I can do more on my GS3 than my iPad. :cool:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Podgorica

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I just tried note 2 at sprint and i am 1000% sure it will be my next phone as soon as it hits verizon stores. Amazing phone wow i am still amazed. Bye bye apple. I was going to get s3 but only bcz i didnt see note2 in person. I would say wait to see note 2 it is a bigger s3 and screen looks brighter plus its quad core with the battery that can power a chevy volt.

ryaldoo

May 9, 2011
Visit site
i have seen the samsung note 2 also at sprint. i must say it is one heck of a device...... but for everyday usage and trying to put that thing in my pocket while i work out would be a mess. the size of the s3 is fine . i have used android in the past ( g1, evo) while on the tmobile or sprint network but i havent used it lately . i wish the JELLYBEAN update was on the phone so i could see how buttery smooth the android os would be . but i guess il just have to wait . i have decided to get the S3 and give it a try . thanks to all for the info and post you have left. i really enjoy reading this and other android sites. i will get back with you all soon with many questions .... im sure!
I just tried note 2 at sprint and i am 1000% sure it will be my next phone as soon as it hits verizon stores. Amazing phone wow i am still amazed. Bye bye apple. I was going to get s3 but only bcz i didnt see note2 in person. I would say wait to see note 2 it is a bigger s3 and screen looks brighter plus its quad core with the battery that can power a chevy volt.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Had the Iphone 4 and my wife had the Iphone 4s. i bought the GS 3. I kept the Iphone around during my evaluation but wound up keeping the GS3. The keyboard on the GS3 was driving me nuts so, I downloaded Swiftkey 3 which made typing on it similar to the Iphone. There are so many more things you can do with the GS3 then the Iphone. I agree the differences between the Iphone 4, 4s and 5 are not that much.

junkie88

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I've owned the iPhone3GS, 4, and now the 5. Before buying the 5 I upgraded to the GS 3. The phone looks great all the apps that I needed and that screen is a show stopper. Its so big and everthing looks great on it. There were several things I could never get used to though. I missed the text app on the iPhone, I missed the unified mailbox for my 2 accounts, I missed the badges over the email that told me how many I had, just little things that I could find apps for or get over.

The reason I returned the GS3 and went with the 5 is the battery. On the iPhone 4 I would come home from work everyday with 50% or more battery life. With the GS 3 I had maybe 35%. The final straw was going into a 2hour movie with 57% and walking out with 34% with never having touched the phone. Some have said this isnt normal others say deal with it and get another battery or turn everything off. I gave up and returned it for the 5. Battery is no longer a problem with the 5. Also with the 5 I have LTE everywhere I go. With the GS 3 it switched to 3G almost all the time. Not sure if that was the battery problem or not.

After saying all that my iPhone 5 is going back tomorrow. Im not happy with it after having the GS 3, I can not go back to this screen after having that. I think I might pre order the Note 2 when I return this tomorrow and give that one a try. If the battery lasted longer I would still have my GS 3, I am truly hooked on that screen.

unlmtdRW

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I was referring to purchased material. Granted, I've never tried because I don't use iTunes, but can you really play a song purchased on iTunes (.m4p file) on the S3? I didn't think so....or has it been so long since I've used iTunes that this isn't a problem any more?

Isn't that what DoubleTwist https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.doubleTwist.androidPlayer&token=Yi1i9ovY is supposed to do for you?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

hell_on_heels

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've owned the iPhone3GS, 4, and now the 5. Before buying the 5 I upgraded to the GS 3. The phone looks great all the apps that I needed and that screen is a show stopper. Its so big and everthing looks great on it. There were several things I could never get used to though. I missed the text app on the iPhone, I missed the unified mailbox for my 2 accounts, I missed the badges over the email that told me how many I had, just little things that I could find apps for or get over.

The reason I returned the GS3 and went with the 5 is the battery. On the iPhone 4 I would come home from work everyday with 50% or more battery life. With the GS 3 I had maybe 35%. The final straw was going into a 2hour movie with 57% and walking out with 34% with never having touched the phone. Some have said this isnt normal others say deal with it and get another battery or turn everything off. I gave up and returned it for the 5. Battery is no longer a problem with the 5. Also with the 5 I have LTE everywhere I go. With the GS 3 it switched to 3G almost all the time. Not sure if that was the battery problem or not.

After saying all that my iPhone 5 is going back tomorrow. Im not happy with it after having the GS 3, I can not go back to this screen after having that. I think I might pre order the Note 2 when I return this tomorrow and give that one a try. If the battery lasted longer I would still have my GS 3, I am truly hooked on that screen.

There are so many free apps on android. And u can convert music u bought to transfer. But there are also free music download apps on android. So u don't have to pay for music. Most carriers are still working on getting 4g everywhere. We don't have it here except for vzw and we r not with them. I played with the note 2 today and it's a spectacular phone. If u liked the S3 u will love it I think.

o_O WISHING I HAD WAITED AND GOT THE NOTE 2, ANYONE WANNA TRADE? o>_<o~

roaztb33f

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'd get the GS3 just to make an example of the iPhone 5. Apple's poor QC with phones arriving scratched, scuffed, or just plain defective is irritating. As for you camera, the iPhone 5 has the whole new sapphire lens cover or whatever - solar flare (purple haze) added to all your photos. *FACE PALM*

I must admit the battery is nice on the iPhone. But that's about it. Basically, I'd snag the GS3 or Note 2 even and just wait for the iPhone 5S if you're looking for something Apple. Or buy a iPod touch and combo it up with the Android phone.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I just got my S3. I came off the Razr Maxx (which I upgraded to from an iPhone 4). Oh my god. This thing is incredible. It's fast, the screen is awesome, and it just kicks butt. Just, wow.

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
W hether or not you're going to be happy with the choice you make is going to depend on how much research you do before you purchase anything. My sister just bought an iPhone 5 and loves it. Ive had my S3 for a little over a week and have never been so glued to a phone right after I bought it. Things I personally am biased towards on the S3:

- screen is absolutely beautiful. I prefer the size of the S3s 4.8 super amoled screen and feel like its second to none for watching movies.
- I love landscape typing with the android keyboard and can do it surprisingly quickly. The auto-selection of words seems to work very well about 90% of the time. At least for me.
- i am a music producer. The way this handles media files has certainly eased my life between studios! No serious producer actually compiling music on levels required to make a living would rely on iOSs "garage band," so I never gave it any real consideration.
- both Social media apps and games really shine on the S3. I have yet to experience a crash or have had to hard reboot. Of course everyone runs into a glitch now and then, but the S3s processing power and abundance of RAM definitely seem to take charge at all times.

Please remember this is my experience. I personally really love my phone but you may find yourself displaying equal amounts of affection for the iphone after taking it for a spin. Just remember to do yourself a favor and spend a good hour demo-ing the S3, if possible. :)

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Android Central Forums

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci