Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Brightness dimming problem

I shut off auto brightness and auto adjust screen tone and my screen is still dimming itself and making itself brighter. Its not a heavy flicker but it seems to be adjusting the brightness a lot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Brightness dimming problem

I actually found some answers to my question. It seems to be that the screen dims 10 seconds before the screen will time out and it is basically a warning of the screen timing out. The problem I have is that the dimming is so not smooth, the transition is extremely jumpy and distracting to me.

Hoping jellybean may take care of this.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 2.3.4 :-(

I use an app called ScreenDim to achieve better brightness settings. It overcomes the internal brightness settings, and may help with your issue.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that app and I am still having the issue. I believe everyone has this hapoen , its just a matter of how long their time out setting is on because it starts the jumpy dimming 10 seconds before your time out. Whoever has their setting on 2 minutes plus won't really get to that time to see this occur.

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7&9

I'm wondering if your animation settings might be affecting this behavior you describe. My timeout is rather short and I often notice the preliminary dimming before full timeout but I don't notice any "jumpiness". Other threads I've read suggest changing animation settings from default values to 0.5x or 0x to address similar issues. Go to Settings > Developer Options, and scroll down to set your Window animation scale and Transition animation scale. Let us know if that helped?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

So I just tried changing those settings and haven't really seen a difference. Mine were originally both on 1x and changed them to 0.5 and none. Didn't seem to help.

Any other suggestions??

The dimming on mine is similar but I would describe it more as flickering than jumping. My screen definitely has a flicker to it when it's changing brightness. I just assumed all S3s did it. It's not a huge deal, just slightly annoying.