(how to) change from droid x to galaxy s3?

suchanewbie

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
i am considering changing phones and need advice. i know nothing about this so please reply like you're talking to an idiot!!
i do not know what a jelly bean is (does?) or gingerbread or sim cards...get the idea? i know i do NOT want to go with iphone!

my current plan has unlimited data and i MUST stay with that, so i can't upgrade the phone thru Verizon, cause they'll kill that 'benefit', as that plan is no longer offered. i am in a remote area and have to tether via phone for internet on laptop...heavy sigh.:'(

so, if i buy an S3 thru another store, is there any problem/concerns/steps/hoops i need to go thru to get the phone to work?
thanks very much for advice.

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
There is no problem with buying your You will have to pay the full unsubsidized price for any phone that you want to buy (without a contract required). Then just call Verizon and they will activate your phone for you and you keep your unlimited data plan.

suchanewbie

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
so i will not have to manipulate anything within the phone, and Verizon can't cancel current plan if i have a phone other than the original contract parameters?

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
When you buy the S3 at full retail (from wherever) make sure they give you a sim card. Then when you call Verizon, tell them you DO NOT want any changes to your plan, and that you're only wanting to activate the new phone. They'll walk you through everything.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I am preety sure that Verizon will even give you free (from Verizon owned store not franchise) a sim card. You do not have to hide anything. I know this becuase I actually called Verizon main number and then verified it with my local store.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
You need to make sure it's a Verizon phone first off. Secondly, if you buy it at a reduced price from anywhere they'll have the same limitations (contract extension, no more unlimited data) as Verizon.....they aren't going to sell you the phone cheap without getting something in return. If you want to keep unlimited your only legitimate options are to find a clean used phone (meaning not stolen or unpaid for) or pay full retail at a dealer.

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
this all sounds well and good, but verizon is under no obligation to continue your unlimited. they can throttle the account and outright cancel it at some point when your contract has expired with them.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
this all sounds well and good, but verizon is under no obligation to continue your unlimited. they can throttle the account and outright cancel it at some point when your contract has expired with them.

You are exactly correct. Also, if you want to be technically accurate using your Verizon phone as a hot spot is illegal (unless you subscribe to it from Verizon) if you have an unlimited plan. I do not understand the legal differences but there was a recent settlement with the FCC and it stated that using hotspot (like FoxFi) with limited plan was okay and there is no charge for it but doing the same with unlimited plan is not okay.

Also, when I spoke with Verizon they did tell me that at some point in the future they will probably not grandfather me on my unlimted plan. In my case my wife will be upgrading thru Verizon and losing her unlimited plan but she does not use much data so it is not a real lose. Since she is upgrading and we are on a family plan I am assuming that while she is under a contract that they cannot change me from unlimited to limited (note I said assuming).

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

I don't think that will happen any time soon. As more and more people upgrade, the number of users with unlimited data keeps shrinking. Verizon will most likely just keep letting it go like this for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool