Just got the new S3 to take over for my Razr Maxx - observations

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Not a real review. There are lots of those. But after 4 days with it, some things are apparent;

Display - Wow. The reviews whine and cry about the pentile display. And while it was pretty obvious on the Razr Maxx, it isn't on the S3. The display is as sharp and clean as my iPad3. No pixelation, great color, just beautiful. it's also a good size. I have a Samsung Player 5 with of course a 5" screen which does duty as a pocket carry tablet. The S3 screen is big enough to take over for it, so now I just need one device.

Sound - also amazing. I wear hearing aids, and placement of the handset by my ear is nowhere near as fussy as it is with the Razr. Sound is loud and clear. Speaker phone is also very good.

Keyboard - sucks. Utterly sucks. It's pure frustration. It often insists on inserting a word I don't freaking want and I can go back and change it as often as I want and it will change it right back. Holy CRAP is it bad. I am used to miserable Samsung keypads, but this one is the bottom of the barrel. I downloaded the beta of Swype and as bad as the stock keyboard is, the beta Swype is good. Get it.

Camera - haven't used it yet. It gets good reviews. I am happy with the Razr camera, which doesn't get good reviews. So I am assuming I will be satisfied with the S3 camera.

Performance - niiiiiiice. Everything is much quicker and more fluid than on my Razr.

Size - I like the heft and feel of the Razr better than the S3. It feels more solid. I can't find anything specific to complain about on the S3, but it just feels less substantial than the Razr Maxx. It' slimmer and fits my pants pocket better, and it's lighter. So that's a plus. And I realize that the build is just as tough as the Razr. It just doesn't feel like it. Maybe they should have made it from armor plate to make me happy :)

Battery - uh oh. Man, this thing goes through battery fast. I disabled some of the cycle-grabbing background crap I will never use and that seemed to help a little. What helps a lot is putting thing thing into power saver mode. While that does help - and I repeat, it helps a LOT - it also gives you a major performance hit. All that smooth goodness is gone. While the phone is useable, it's no longer what you paid for in terms of performance. Things stutter and hesitate that don't normally. I wish there was a widget to change modes, but it's not too hard to get to since it's on the power bar.

Radios - all seem to perform well, but really I'm in a good area. Oddly, Painesville seems to be very well covered and they have great LTE - not to mention fiber everywhere for cheap :) In Painesville, Ohio! Go figure.

S-Voice - yeah.... If it worked it would be good. But it just complains about unable to reach the network. I tried to work, but after a couple of commands it just croaked. Sorry, it's no Siri. Or even the other apps, like Eva or VLingo.

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
nice, even comparison.

A few things. I love swiftkey keyboard and they are going to have a swype version soon so it will be the best of both worlds.
you will like the camera
Buy a nice solid case if you miss the feel. I know that is not a great solution, but your right, the sgs3 takes a bit to get used to if you are coming from a heavier device
the battery is really good on mine. I can throw up a screen shot from the other day. 17 hours off the charger, over 70% of it with the screen on.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I got the Cruzerlite for it - I had those for the Razr and really liked them. They add some grip without adding much bulk. As for the battery, I'm used to the Razr Maxx! But before that was a Blackberry 9930, which was good on battery too. The S3 seems like you can almost hear it sucking up battery, like hitting the bottom of a soda with a straw.

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
The more I hear the more I'm inclined to go with the Razr Maxx HD over the S3.

What's the appeal of all those features if you can't enjoy them because you're always worrying about battery or power saving?

Hmm.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
It's really a tough call. I think the Maxx is great for battery and display - that display is really good. REALLY good. So is the S3s. And I admit I love having all that battery on my original Maxx. The S3 is more performance though. But I have noticed that turning on power save makes a full day doable with the S3, and the performance is there if you need it.

I think you would be happy with either handset. I know I would have been. I chose the S3 because I wanted something other than what I'd already had and I am pleased with the horsepower available on it. The battery is acceptable if I rein it in with power save, and really for 99.95% of what I do with a phone - which is call, text and read on Kindle - sheer horsepower is meaningless with run time taking priority. Even Netflix runs fine. So don't worry too much about it - just assume they are about on par and get whichever makes you smile when you pick it up :)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It's really a tough call. I think the Maxx is great for battery and display - that display is really good. REALLY good. So is the S3s. And I admit I love having all that battery on my original Maxx. The S3 is more performance though. But I have noticed that turning on power save makes a full day doable with the S3, and the performance is there if you need it.

I think you would be happy with either handset. I know I would have been. I chose the S3 because I wanted something other than what I'd already had and I am pleased with the horsepower available on it. The battery is acceptable if I rein it in with power save, and really for 99.95% of what I do with a phone - which is call, text and read on Kindle - sheer horsepower is meaningless with run time taking priority. Even Netflix runs fine. So don't worry too much about it - just assume they are about on par and get whichever makes you smile when you pick it up :)

Buy an extra battery it is 20$

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ouzo92

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I personally find the battery to be more than sufficient. I had rezound prior to the S3 and I would go through 2 batteries a day... absolutely terrible battery life. I actually use my phone more now due to the vast improvement in battery life and one battery is more than sufficient. The keyboard is as bad as he states... simply terrible. Long story short the S3 is the best phone I've ever purchased hands down.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12