Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Geek Mom

Default Does Jellybean solve the "no sim" problem?

For those of you that were experiencing the "no sim" problem and have upgraded - what has your experience been?

My younger daughter and my phone are fine, but my older daughter gets it and I was hoping it was finally fixed!

Default Re: Does Jellybean solve the "no sim" problem?

Quote Originally Posted by OWybPPgO View Post
    For those of you that were experiencing the "no sim" problem and have upgraded - what has your experience been?

My younger daughter and my phone are fine, but my older daughter gets it and I was hoping it was finally fixed!
    I honestly haven't had this issue for quite a while, although it happened a lot when I first got the phone. Seemed to go away once I installed CleanROM and/or the VZ Messages app .

None the less...running JB now, and have not seen the "NoSIM" issue at all.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Geek Mom

Default Re: Does Jellybean solve the "no sim" problem?

Someone on the VZ board posted this:

Well I didn't believe it at first but I think they have finally resolved this issue!

First of all I'll give you some background. This is pertaining to the Samsung Galaxy S3 issue known as the "No Sim Error" where intermittently your phone will fail to send text messages or make and receive phone calls. When this failure happens, the phone displays "No Sim" at the top and you lose connectivity with the network briefly. The problem is location based. ie only certain areas are affected. This issue only pertains to the Samsung GS3 and only these specific symptoms. If your phone or symptoms are different then this is not your issue. I had actually planned to post a detailed synopsis of all the information I've compiled but that would appear to be unnecessary now that a solution has actually been found.

The following is a paraphrased quote from a level 1 Verizon tech who by his own admission did not himself understand what he was reading to me.

"There are 2 crossbands (data formats if you will) called TCA and 1XRTT. These crossbands are used in communication with the towers and the manufacturer's default distance threshold for these settings was incorrectly set on the GS3. They reduced the distance threshold to half a mile and this should fix your issue".

This fix was not a software patch but according to the tech was a config change they made on my account that overrode the Samsung factory default setting. I don't pretend to know exactly what that means but I can tell you that today is the first day since I've owned this phone that I cannot get it to fail. I do not know if you will have to call in to get them apply this configuration change or if they will push it out to all GS3 owners. I hope this is the beginning of the end of these problems with the Galaxy S3.
    Anyone know what they're talking about or if there's a way to get to this config menu on the phone?