Is there any way to get stock Jellybean (4.1) on my Galaxy S III without the Samsung Skin?

gamerman623

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I would really like to have a CM version of Jellybean, or AOKP verson. I don't like S voice, and I'd much rather have the voice search on Jellybean. Is there a ROM out there without the Samsung skin? I seriously dislike the icons etc, and would like to have a bit more control. Thanks!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Reciprocal

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Eclipse 2.1 is also great. the google apps are all dark-themed and look great. There's quite a good number of 4.1.2 ROM's out there now.

rvhighway

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
You already got your answers on the plain JB ROMS and already know about CM10, but I'd like to point out something to you. What makes you think you have to run something like SVoice if you're running a skinned JB ROM? You don't have to. For example, I dumped SVoice a long time ago and have been running Google Now (Jelly Bean voice search) since an earlier Synergy ICS ROM. I'm now on a great JB ROM that's real stable (Synergy v.118), but it's a TouchWiz ROM. SVoice is still long gone and Google Now is working like a charm - just as it has been from the first day it was brought over to ICS. I even have other nice things ported over, like the Note2 camera. I understand if you simply want a plain JB version and/or don't like the Samsung icons, but don't think that you can't also have something like the Google voice search (Google Now) you seem to want.

CFD323

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to OP for a quick hijack...I've got a Galaxy Nexus and might switch to an S3, is the S-voice the default voice app for voice-related stuff on the phone? I really like the voice software on my GN...

Thanks

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to OP for a quick hijack...I've got a Galaxy Nexus and might switch to an S3, is the S-voice the default voice app for voice-related stuff on the phone? I really like the voice software on my GN...

Thanks

On the TouchWiz Jellybean Update.... Holding down the menu key gives you gvoice.... And remember you can always place the Google search bar widgets along the top too for easy gvoice access

Sent from my GS3....

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I would really like to have a CM version of Jellybean, or AOKP verson. I don't like S voice, and I'd much rather have the voice search on Jellybean. Is there a ROM out there without the Samsung skin? I seriously dislike the icons etc, and would like to have a bit more control. Thanks!

As others have pointed out, it's easy enough to get rid of s-voice. You also can instal a different launcher like Apex or Nova (or many others) that you can use any icons that you want and won't look like Touchwiz (but you can still keep the Touchwiz features like the motion controls, the admittedly nice camera and other Touchwiz things). No rooting or using another ROM required.

Just pointing it out as an option if the primary reason is the look of Touchwiz.You can still make much of it look however you want without abandoning Touchwiz.

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
As others have pointed out, it's easy enough to get rid of s-voice. You also can instal a different launcher like Apex or Nova (or many others) that you can use any icons that you want and won't look like Touchwiz (but you can still keep the Touchwiz features like the motion controls, the admittedly nice camera and other Touchwiz things). No rooting or using another ROM required.

Just pointing it out as an option if the primary reason is the look of Touchwiz.You can still make much of it look however you want without abandoning Touchwiz.
I'm going to third this. I run CleanROM which has Aroma installer so when I get to the Samsung apps section I deselect everything and have it install Nova instead of touchwiz. Yes you still get the core TW stuff but honestly it's not THAT bad. If you really hate the lockscreen just set up pin/swipe lock or install WidgetLocker.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I want to go Stock Jelly Bean also and get updates as they are released by google. I have the AT&T version. Is there a Rom for that?

You're on the Verizon forum, but either way, no.

"Stock" Android with updates from Google only happens with Nexus devices. The stock OS isn't going to have drivers for your phone.

Closest you can easily get, is to install an AOSP ROM, like CM or AOPK ... who provide their own updates.