Spam Text Messages

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have advice for getting rid of spam text messages? I don't use texting and don't have a texting plan, so the spams are costing me 10 cents a pop. Verizon's "safety and security" web page always seems to say "page not available," so I can't change anything there.

I never got these on my Fascinate, so I'm wondering if something has triggered them on my SIII. It's been especially bad in the last two weeks.

muiriddin

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it is s3 specific, I did get the occasional spam text on my fascinate and now on my s3 I get an occasional one as well. I do know that apps that have certain permissions could add you to text spam lists by reading your information and sending it to some sort of list manager. I have always been cautious about apps that seem to request too many permissions. I remember a compass app that I was looking at that wanted to basically take over my phone. Needless to say it did not get installed.

Verizon does have some way of blocking these, however I believe you can only block texts from certain numbers. I have never had to do this myself.

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I got a spam text asking if I wanted discount cigarretes. Area code was from NY.. and I'm in CA. And it knew my name. But I guess it could be an app permissions? Never thought of that one.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I hadn't thought about apps, either. I've installed a couple of things in the past few weeks, so I'll have to check that out.

I wish Verizon had more robust methods for dealing with text spam. I suppose it's not in their interest, since each spam I receive is a few cents for them.

Slayers

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
grab airpush detector from the play store and run it. I had some apps on my razr that was giving out my info and I was getting messaged back because of them

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Call verizon and have a text block on your line. They can block all sms or just the adverts. I have two phones on my plan with sms completely blocked and it works perfectly. Stopped the spam instantly.