Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Global Posts
    1,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

Default Re: Bye Sprint hello Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by Roustermiller View Post
    Don't know where you live but here in New York sprint was out way longer you can say my dad was one of the beta testers lol
    Sprint PCS didn't start until 98, Sprint Spectrum started in 96 and New York wasn't part of it. Baltimore was the starting point.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    3348b76f
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by kg4icg View Post
    Darn. You had Sprint Cell service before Sprint had Cell service which started in 1996. It will be 16 years for me in December.
    I was with Sprint from 1998 - 2012. Connections got slower and slower, and they probably won't add LTE here for years. My VZW bill is $83.00 a month (rounded up) after discounts. My bill with Sprint was $76.00 a month (rounded up) after discounts. I have LTE with VZW. With Sprint I had 3G at home, and WiMax outside, 20 miles South of me. $7.00 a month was well worth the swap for solid coverage. Not all of us live in large cities...not all of us want to.

Global Posts
    3,435 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Yea had them for a while its time for a change and I think Big Red is the way to go.
    Enjoy the phone, but i'm sticking with "Ma Bell", that's AT&T.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Sprint PCS didn't start until 98, Sprint Spectrum started in 96 and New York wasn't part of it. Baltimore was the starting point.

Nah buddy sprint been out way longer then you think dig a little deeper

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    Same here in Chicago bro lol

Sent from my EPIC WHITE SGS2 Rockin CM10 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2
    There's an exception to every rule :beer::beer:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
    Murphy5111 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

Nah buddy sprint been out way longer then you think dig a little deeper
    Don't confuse long distance land line with cell service

3348b76f
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by HalizDad View Post
    I was with Sprint from 1998 - 2012. Connections got slower and slower, and they probably won't add LTE here for years. My VZW bill is $83.00 a month (rounded up) after discounts. My bill with Sprint was $76.00 a month (rounded up) after discounts. I have LTE with VZW. With Sprint I had 3G at home, and WiMax outside, 20 miles South of me. $7.00 a month was well worth the swap for solid coverage. Not all of us live in large cities...not all of us want to.
    I wish the difference for me was that little. I am going to save about 75, get new phones all the way around the house and only have to deal with reduced speed for maybe six months if that. My dilemma is do I want a note 2 or another sgs3...

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    I wish the difference for me was that little. I am going to save about 75, get new phones all the way around the house and only have to deal with reduced speed for maybe six months if that. My dilemma is do I want a note 2 or another sgs3...

I'm not saying Verizon is cheap, by any means. They'd love to sell me a $400.00 a month plan, I'm sure.

Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

I will say that Verizon's service was excellent throughout most of the NYC/NJ area during and after Sandy. I never lost service, and didn't even notice an appreciable decline in data speeds. I know that my friends on ATT couldn't say the same. Don't know about Sprint.

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Sprint actually has LTE in my area (middle TN). Is it really that bad? If I didn't have unlimited data I would certainly be looking into sprint.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

Don't confuse long distance land line with cell service
    Goes back to at least 1993:
    Triple Play
    Sprint – Becomes first major company to provide local, long distance and wireless services.

Global Posts
    1,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

Quote Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
    Goes back to at least 1993:
    Triple Play
    Sprint – Becomes first major company to provide local, long distance and wireless services.

In which in 1994 they sold it off in which it became 360 Communications because of regulatory problems.

In 1982, SPC and GTE entered into merger negotiations, and in 1983, they merged under the name "GTE Sprint".

Sprint Corporation brand mark (1987-2005)
    GTE had previously acquired a national X.25 provider, Telenet, in 1979. In 1986, GTE Sprint and Telenet merged with the United Telecom properties US Telecom, Uninet, and ISACOMM, forming US Sprint. This was initially a joint venture co-owned by GTE and United Telecom. In 1988, United Telecom sold Telespectrum to Centel to fund the purchase of an additional 30% of US Sprint. This purchase gave United Telecom operational control of US Sprint.

In 1989, United Telecom purchased a controlling interest, and in 1991, it completed its acquisition of US Sprint. In 1992, United Telecommunications adopted the nationally recognized identity of its long distance unit, changing its name to Sprint Corporation, due in large part to the increased brand recognition as a result of the successful Candice Bergen "Dime Lady" advertisement campaign.

[edit] Return to wireless

In 1995, Sprint acquired Centel, allowing Sprint to provide local service in a total of 18 states, putting them back in the wireless market. In 1994, Sprint spun off their existing cellular operations as 360 Communications for regulatory reasons, in order to start a new service in the PCS band. In 1998, 360 Communications was acquired by Alltel, which was in turn acquired by Verizon in 2009.

In late 1994 and early 1995, Sprint acquired near nationwide 1900Mhz PCS spectrum, via Sprint Spectrum–APC (a joint venture between Sprint and several cable companies). Later in 1995, the company began to offer wireless service under the Sprint Spectrum brand in the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area. This was the first commercial PCS network in the United States. Although the current Sprint PCS service is CDMA, the original Washington-area network used GSM. Eventually, Sprint launched their new nationwide CDMA network, then in 1999 sold the decommissioned GSM infrastructure to Omnipoint which re-launched in May 2000. Omnipoint was later acquired by VoiceStream Wireless, which eventually became part of T-Mobile USA.
    3348b76f

Thanks for pasting wikipedia in here......none of this proves your original claim.

Global Posts
    1,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

Thanks for pasting wikipedia in here......none of this proves your original claim.
    Here is something to ask yourself? When was the last time you put a sim card in a Sprint phone to operate on a gsm network other than world phones? And don't say Nextel because that is and about to be history a TDMA network not gsm. I was on Sprint Spectrum before they switched me over to Sprint PCS in 98. In NY at the time, NYNEX controlled the state and city of NY in which that is the company my phone roamed under when going thru that region. You want to fault wiki-pedia go ahead, but don't post half the story and try to fault someone because you left out a part that doesn't fit the bill.

3348b76f

Here is something to ask yourself? When was the last time you put a sim card in a Sprint phone to operate on a gsm network other than world phones? And don't say Nextel because that is and about to be history a TDMA network not gsm. I was on Sprint Spectrum before they switched me over to Sprint PCS in 98. In NY at the time, NYNEX controlled the state and city of NY in which that is the company my phone roamed under when going thru that region. You want to fault wiki-pedia go ahead, but don't post half the story and try to fault someone because you left out a part that doesn't fit the bill.

I'm not faulting Wiki, which isn't a good source either way, but even what you posted refutes what you claim. You said "Spint PCS didn't start until 1998". Here's a small passage from your Wiki source:

In 1994, Sprint spun off their existing cellular operations as 360 Communications for regulatory reasons, in order to start a new service in the PCS band.

So this says that Sprint PCS started in 1994. So nice try.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Pcs didn't start till 94

Global Posts
    1,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

I'm not faulting Wiki, which isn't a good source either way, but even what you posted refutes what you claim. You said "Spint PCS didn't start until 1998". Here's a small passage from your Wiki source:

In 1994, Sprint spun off their existing cellular operations as 360 Communications for regulatory reasons, in order to start a new service in the PCS band.
    So this says that Sprint PCS started in 1994. So nice try.
    I think you need to re read, 360 Communications was spun off which means it wasn't a part of Sprint anymore in 1994, They were a GSM network, not CDMA, after the Spin off happened Sprint started Sprint Spectrum in Baltimore and DC area, because at that time Sprint was HQed in Baltimore. Sprint Started testing Sprint Spectrum in 1995. after 360 Comunications was completely spun off and there own company. Then in 1998 Sprint had started Sprint PCS after getting the pcs band and all the towers setup to launch the network in 98 and that is when they decided to shutdown Sprint Spectrum, and transfer all Sprint Spectrum customers over to PCS. The only way to get Sprint Spectrum phones was by way of Radio Shack in the Baltimore, DC area. and as I have stated in previous post. During the 90's NYNEX controlled cell system in NY/New England area. No cell company had a nationwide cell network until Sprint launched Sprint PCS in 98.
    3348b76f

Global Posts
    1,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

And if you want to know what cellphones looked liked in the early 90's go take a look at Motorola's history page, because they quite large and bulky bricks, and were definitely not consumer friendly considering they would charge you by the minute, and long distance.
    3348b76f

Welcome to the big red V and enjoy the new phones!

Hell yeah! I ran for the hills this weekend and left Sprint. I'll pay a lil more on Verizon but at least I'll be getting my Money's worth with a better network by far. I lost unlimited data but I chose a 4 gig data plan since I never used 4 gigs on sprint anyway even with unlimited data so I should be straight. They only have any customers left because if unlimited data. That's saving their azz, but what good is it if the damn data barely works? Hello Verizon, "Can you hear me now?"

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by makaroni View Post
    Hell yeah! I ran for the hills this weekend and left Sprint. I'll pay a lil more on Verizon but at least I'll be getting my Money's worth with a better network by far. I lost unlimited data but I chose a 4 gig data plan since I never used 4 gigs on sprint anyway even with unlimited data so I should be straight. They only have any customers left because if unlimited data. That's saving their azz, but what good is it if the damn data barely works? Hello Verizon, "Can you hear me now?"

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    I wanted to do that. Wanted to dump my 4s from sprint and get the gs3 on Verizon. But was over ruled by the better half. She didn't want to buy a new phone just yet. So I sold my 4s and got an s3 on sprint. When next July comes if there is no LTE in my area then we are officially bouncing.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

I'll never leave sprint every time I try to find something bad its like sprint surprises me again and plus I like the price

Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

Sprint is terrriiibbbllleeee. I'd rather go prepaid (nothing wrong with that) than Sprint ("big company"). Just like most have stated, lying 24/7. Its cool that u have unlimited data WHEN IT WORKS!!!! Only used about 1-2gb every month because it would never connect. Sitting happy over here on AT&T

Nexus 4, you jelly bro?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I just switched to sprint and I am loving it. LTE is just about everywhere I need it with the exception of my house

Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

I can't wait till I can get the galaxy nexus I have lte all over Chicago (including my house)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast