Bye Sprint hello Verizon

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I was with Sprint for about 14 years. I got tired of dropping calls in a major metro area, having to leave the GF's apartment to go make a phone call or check email. Sprint is a shoddy 3G network. When I can now drive around and not lose your call and you do the math and realize that you can pull more data in 1 day on Verizon than you can in a month with Sprint... the choice is clear.

I was never a hater until I went to cancel with Sprint 3 months before my contract ended because I needed my phone to work in a small town where I travel for work. I went through all the paces in a courteous manner and had 3 different reps tell me that with termination fees, the final bill would be $75. Got the final bill: $165. Called them and disputed it. Due to a lack of proper notetaking on their part, they wouldn't honor their word and they would not go chase down the call recordings, acted like I was lying or trying to scam them. Then they sicked a collection agency on me after only a month. Lousy lying bastards. I hope they go under swiftly. Never felt so wrong paying a bill in my life.

Guess I am a lucky one, I am going the other way, Verizon to sprint and I have decent lte already in my neighborhood

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
your going to love verizon and the s3. biggest data hog and your bill will be twice as much as sprint. been there done it. try tmobile instead

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Don't know where you live but here in New York sprint was out way longer you can say my dad was one of the beta testers lol

Sprint PCS didn't start until 98, Sprint Spectrum started in 96 and New York wasn't part of it. Baltimore was the starting point.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Darn. You had Sprint Cell service before Sprint had Cell service which started in 1996. It will be 16 years for me in December.

I was with Sprint from 1998 - 2012. Connections got slower and slower, and they probably won't add LTE here for years. My VZW bill is $83.00 a month (rounded up) after discounts. My bill with Sprint was $76.00 a month (rounded up) after discounts. I have LTE with VZW. With Sprint I had 3G at home, and WiMax outside, 20 miles South of me. $7.00 a month was well worth the swap for solid coverage. Not all of us live in large cities...not all of us want to.

Roustermiller

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Sprint PCS didn't start until 98, Sprint Spectrum started in 96 and New York wasn't part of it. Baltimore was the starting point.

Nah buddy sprint been out way longer then you think dig a little deeper

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I was with Sprint from 1998 - 2012. Connections got slower and slower, and they probably won't add LTE here for years. My VZW bill is $83.00 a month (rounded up) after discounts. My bill with Sprint was $76.00 a month (rounded up) after discounts. I have LTE with VZW. With Sprint I had 3G at home, and WiMax outside, 20 miles South of me. $7.00 a month was well worth the swap for solid coverage. Not all of us live in large cities...not all of us want to.

I wish the difference for me was that little. I am going to save about 75, get new phones all the way around the house and only have to deal with reduced speed for maybe six months if that. My dilemma is do I want a note 2 or another sgs3...

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I wish the difference for me was that little. I am going to save about 75, get new phones all the way around the house and only have to deal with reduced speed for maybe six months if that. My dilemma is do I want a note 2 or another sgs3...

I'm not saying Verizon is cheap, by any means. They'd love to sell me a $400.00 a month plan, I'm sure.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I will say that Verizon's service was excellent throughout most of the NYC/NJ area during and after Sandy. I never lost service, and didn't even notice an appreciable decline in data speeds. I know that my friends on ATT couldn't say the same. Don't know about Sprint.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Sprint actually has LTE in my area (middle TN). Is it really that bad? If I didn't have unlimited data I would certainly be looking into sprint.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Goes back to at least 1993:
Triple Play
Sprint ? Becomes first major company to provide local, long distance and wireless services.

Sprint

In which in 1994 they sold it off in which it became 360 Communications because of regulatory problems.

In 1982, SPC and GTE entered into merger negotiations, and in 1983, they merged under the name "GTE Sprint".

Sprint Corporation brand mark (1987-2005)
GTE had previously acquired a national X.25 provider, Telenet, in 1979. In 1986, GTE Sprint and Telenet merged with the United Telecom properties US Telecom, Uninet, and ISACOMM, forming US Sprint. This was initially a joint venture co-owned by GTE and United Telecom. In 1988, United Telecom sold Telespectrum to Centel to fund the purchase of an additional 30% of US Sprint. This purchase gave United Telecom operational control of US Sprint.

In 1989, United Telecom purchased a controlling interest, and in 1991, it completed its acquisition of US Sprint. In 1992, United Telecommunications adopted the nationally recognized identity of its long distance unit, changing its name to Sprint Corporation, due in large part to the increased brand recognition as a result of the successful Candice Bergen "Dime Lady" advertisement campaign.

[edit] Return to wireless

In 1995, Sprint acquired Centel, allowing Sprint to provide local service in a total of 18 states, putting them back in the wireless market. In 1994, Sprint spun off their existing cellular operations as 360 Communications for regulatory reasons, in order to start a new service in the PCS band. In 1998, 360 Communications was acquired by Alltel, which was in turn acquired by Verizon in 2009.

In late 1994 and early 1995, Sprint acquired near nationwide 1900Mhz PCS spectrum, via Sprint Spectrum?APC (a joint venture between Sprint and several cable companies). Later in 1995, the company began to offer wireless service under the Sprint Spectrum brand in the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area. This was the first commercial PCS network in the United States. Although the current Sprint PCS service is CDMA, the original Washington-area network used GSM. Eventually, Sprint launched their new nationwide CDMA network, then in 1999 sold the decommissioned GSM infrastructure to Omnipoint which re-launched in May 2000. Omnipoint was later acquired by VoiceStream Wireless, which eventually became part of T-Mobile USA.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for pasting wikipedia in here......none of this proves your original claim.

Here is something to ask yourself? When was the last time you put a sim card in a Sprint phone to operate on a gsm network other than world phones? And don't say Nextel because that is and about to be history a TDMA network not gsm. I was on Sprint Spectrum before they switched me over to Sprint PCS in 98. In NY at the time, NYNEX controlled the state and city of NY in which that is the company my phone roamed under when going thru that region. You want to fault wiki-pedia go ahead, but don't post half the story and try to fault someone because you left out a part that doesn't fit the bill.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Here is something to ask yourself? When was the last time you put a sim card in a Sprint phone to operate on a gsm network other than world phones? And don't say Nextel because that is and about to be history a TDMA network not gsm. I was on Sprint Spectrum before they switched me over to Sprint PCS in 98. In NY at the time, NYNEX controlled the state and city of NY in which that is the company my phone roamed under when going thru that region. You want to fault wiki-pedia go ahead, but don't post half the story and try to fault someone because you left out a part that doesn't fit the bill.

I'm not faulting Wiki, which isn't a good source either way, but even what you posted refutes what you claim. You said "Spint PCS didn't start until 1998". Here's a small passage from your Wiki source:

In 1994, Sprint spun off their existing cellular operations as 360 Communications for regulatory reasons, in order to start a new service in the PCS band.

So this says that Sprint PCS started in 1994. So nice try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress