Migrating from Thunderbolt to S3

wedge40

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Got the phone yesterday. Tried to backup Thunderbolt on the Winbloze computer (Vista) and it couldn't mount the phone?? Ok that wont work. DL'd "app backu & restore" I could move my apps but not the data. Some apps have lots of data that I dont wont to have to recreate. Ok.. Tried "My Backup Pro" it seemed to backup all the apps AND data fine and move everything over. Problem is, it trashed my home screen. Not sure if I got all the data this time or not. All I want to do is move everything from the Thunderbolt to the S3. It shouldn't be this difficult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Also I have a program that is registered on the Thunderbird and when I put on the S3 it want's me to re-register and pay for it again. If it was inexpensive I wouldn't care, but it's a $20 program. The program is "Construction Mater Pro"

Thanks in advance.

Wedge

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
When I moved from a Thunderbolt, I had the apps backed up by My Backup Pro.
I then put my sdCard on the S3, installed My Backup Pro. Configured it to find the backups on extSdCard. And it went fairly well from there.
I only restore apps. I did NOT try to restore any system data. All of my pay apps, included a couple of high dollars ones, restored fine. I of course used the same Google / Gmail login.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Got the phone yesterday. Tried to backup Thunderbolt on the Winbloze computer (Vista) and it couldn't mount the phone?? Ok that wont work. DL'd "app backu & restore" I could move my apps but not the data. Some apps have lots of data that I dont wont to have to recreate. Ok.. Tried "My Backup Pro" it seemed to backup all the apps AND data fine and move everything over. Problem is, it trashed my home screen. Not sure if I got all the data this time or not. All I want to do is move everything from the Thunderbolt to the S3. It shouldn't be this difficult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Also I have a program that is registered on the Thunderbird and when I put on the S3 it want's me to re-register and pay for it again. If it was inexpensive I wouldn't care, but it's a $20 program. The program is "Construction Mater Pro"

Thanks in advance.

Wedge
It's not that it's "that difficult", the problem is that you're approaching it the wrong way. You're essentially trying to backup data from one phone and restore it to another...from a different manufacturer, running a different OS version. Theoretically, backup and restoring just your apps shouldn't be a problem, but this is why Google does everything "in the cloud"...so *most* of your stuff automatically transfers right over when you sign-in on a new device.

My Backup or Titanium Backup should help you out...however...

1. For *most* of your apps, they should restore automatically when you sign in with your Google Account, as long as you have the backup and restore options selected when you do the initial signon/setup wizard. If you do have to restore your apps from backup, I'd recommend only restoring apps, and not data, except for those that absolutely need it.

2. Do NOT backup or restore any SYSTEM DATA. If your homescreen was jacked up, that sounds like you were restoring more than just apps -- and mixing system data across different phones from different manufacturers is asking for a lot of trouble!

3. Regarding having to re-register your app. All purchases made in Google Play store are attached to your account, not your device, so if you have a particular app that requires some additional step and/or uses non-traditional licensing methods, then your beef is with the maker of that app -- because most of the time apps purchased on one phone can be used on any device your activate with your account.

If you did restore system data and home screen is "trashed" as you say, I'd highly consider doing a factory reset and starting over from scratch!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
^ What he said, with one caveat:
I was under the impression that you CANNOT restore your app DATA unless your phone is rooted - if this is in error I apologize in advance - I don't use that capability.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
^ What he said, with one caveat:
I was under the impression that you CANNOT restore your app DATA unless your phone is rooted - if this is in error I apologize in advance - I don't use that capability.

Correct as far as I know. This is the main reason I rooted.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2