Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default To root or not

I'm about at that point with my S3. I've always had HTC devices up until this one. I've always rooted and messed around with different roms. I pulled up the rooting forum and there's a couple of different ways of rooting. I am feeling the itch for CM10 or just something new. But I assume Verizon will push out the JB update within a month or two. Should I wait and root from there? Or just do it now. I don't actually mind my S3 stock which is suprising. And what way is the preferred way to root? Thanks, I'm a Samsung noob.

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 2.5

Default Re: To root or not

If you really want to root just to help the itch go for it its super easy and also easy to get back to stock. And if jelly bean is your main thing on waiting there some nice jb Roms that work awesome. As always with rooting and roming read read read lol and as always have fun.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Racer of Elevators

Global Posts
    1,139 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

Unlock the bootloader, root it, put CWM on it and make a nandroid backup of your current stock ROM. Then you can flash whatever you want when you want. If you want to stick to the forthcoming stock JB release, just flash the rooted package that someone will inevitably assemble. You can try out any of the CM10 flavors or other stock-based ROMs in the meantime, too.
    If you are inclined to spend a lot of money and want a pretty trophy with which to pass the next few years of your life that talks to you in a condescending voice, can't navigate to save its life, expects full control over all you do, demands $13 for a $3 purchase, allegedly has a single recessed button, needs an expensive computer and a credit card to do anything, hates your music and has purses designed just for it...

Get married to someone you hate... or get an iPhone.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New to LG's premium Android phone? Check out the Optimus S Welcome Guide.
    Used ROM Mangler on your Optimus S and having problems? Try this.

Try out a ROM and have fun. I just put a TW JB ROM on mine and love it! Was a bit nervous rooting but the forums here are great for instructions and it was super easy. Sounds like you've got experience with the whole process though.

I actually like the stock ROM on the S3 but there were a couple little things that bugged me. The CleanROM I'm using now addressed just about all those little quirks that I could've lived with but now don't have to! And, I've got JB on there as well.

Verizon is hands down one of the slowest carriers to update their phones. I've always gotten impatient and just rooted and installed hacked updates.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by sparkomatic View Post
    Try out a ROM and have fun. I just put a TW JB ROM on mine and love it! Was a bit nervous rooting but the forums here are great for instructions and it was super easy. Sounds like you've got experience with the whole process though.

I actually like the stock ROM on the S3 but there were a couple little things that bugged me. The CleanROM I'm using now addressed just about all those little quirks that I could've lived with but now don't have to! And, I've got JB on there as well.
    I'll second that. Just put CleanRom 4.5.on my phone and I absolutely love it. Buttery smooth and the battery is ridiculously good

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by horseface123 View Post
    I'll second that. Just put CleanRom 4.5.on my phone and I absolutely love it. Buttery smooth and the battery is ridiculously good
    +1

I just followed the directions on CyberWarrior's post [Guide] Root/Unroot/Recovery/Unlock Bootloader for the Verizon Galaxy S3 (SCH-i535).
    Last edited by socal; 11-20-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Included link

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

I was on the fence for a while simply because the phone runs so darn good stock. Decided to give it a go with the JB leak... It was a world of difference. The few hang ups I had on stock such as launcher redraws, random lag, flickers were all gone. There is no stuttering or lag anywhere except with the Samsung keyboard it seems.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt