Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Portable Speaker

We use the speaker on the S3 a lot when we have a couple people taking part in the conversation. I was wondering if I could use the battery operated plug-in speaker I use with my MP3 player on my phone? Apologizing in advance if this is a stupid question.

Default Re: Portable Speaker

Assuming it's using the standard 3.5mm jack, yes you may.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
    df74 

Maybe not.
    When you plug anything into the headphone jack, it may assume that you are plugging in a headphone that includes a microphone. Headphones with a microphone have an extran contact ring around them. So it may depend on if the S3 detects that ring as there or not. All you can do is try it.
    Racer of Elevators

Global Posts
    1,139 Global Posts
    ROM
    Paranoid Android / CM7

I use it in my car this way with a tape adapter. It doesn't work as well as another device that I used like this. I'm guessing that it either uses the top mic or it does not adjust as if it were on speakerphone. But the mic does work in this configuration.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but AC has a link to Jam Boxes on sale this week, they are known to work well for this purpose.
    If you are inclined to spend a lot of money and want a pretty trophy with which to pass the next few years of your life that talks to you in a condescending voice, can't navigate to save its life, expects full control over all you do, demands $13 for a $3 purchase, allegedly has a single recessed button, needs an expensive computer and a credit card to do anything, hates your music and has purses designed just for it...

Get married to someone you hate... or get an iPhone.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    New to LG's premium Android phone? Check out the Optimus S Welcome Guide.
    Used ROM Mangler on your Optimus S and having problems? Try this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I attempted this yesterday. I plugged the portable speaker into the phone, made my call, I could hear the phone ringing and the person speaking through the speaker but he could not hear me. I tried twice and then gave up. Does it make sense that it only works on my end?

Quote Originally Posted by df74 View Post
    I attempted this yesterday. I plugged the portable speaker into the phone, made my call, I could hear the phone ringing and the person speaking through the speaker but he could not hear me. I tried twice and then gave up. Does it make sense that it only works on my end?
    Read what I wrote above.
    When you plug into the headphone jack, it is going to assume that the microphone is included in the headphone that you plugged in. If there is no microphone on your speakers, then the other end isn't going to hear you.
    Thanked by:
    df74 

Quote Originally Posted by df74 View Post
    The Jambox work for this perfect and if you don't want to plug them in they also connect blue tooth.
    Thanked by:
    df74