exchange S3 for another S3... but the new S3 is picking up only the apps from my tablet?

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
My S3 had a back cover that wouldn't close completely.(a corner is always sticking out slightly, creating a gap)

I took it back to Best Buy and they exchanged it for another identical S3 without any question. After I got home, I put the original 4G LTE SIM card in and fired it up and went through the activating process. I left it on the table for a few minutes and when I came back I noticed something really weird.

The new S3 has installed several dozen apps Unfortunately, all of them were from my Samsung tablet. In fact, it basically mirrored the tablet. (90% of these apps were never installed on the S3 that I just returned)

What am I doing wrong here? I performed a factory reset on the new S3 and started over again. Several minutes later, the same thing happened... :(

Any help appreciated! :)

papafrankm

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, I have the same situation ie a S3 phone and a G2 1.0 tab.
BOTH USING SAME EMAIL FOR BACKUP ACCOUNT.
Perhaps the accounts are merging or the first 1 registered is dominant.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Android Central Forums

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, I have the same situation ie a S3 phone and a G2 1.0 tab.
BOTH USING SAME EMAIL FOR BACKUP ACCOUNT.
Perhaps the accounts are merging or the first 1 registered is dominant.

The thing is that I also have a Galaxy Nexus, but the new S3 did not get any of the apps from the Galaxy Nexus. All of my devices(Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy tablet, and the new S3) are all on one Gmail acct. (I don't have any other Gmail acct) All three devices have sync/back-up turned on.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Android Central Forums

walcolm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
the apps you have on a Google play account will always restore to any new device you activate with that Google play account. the only apps that wont restore to the GS3 are those ones that are not compatible with GS3 because they were designed solely for the tab. most apps have a handheld and a tablet version and the appropriate version will appear on all devices using that account

A solution will be for you to have different accounts for the handheld and the tablet but the downside will be you having to purchase apps twice. or you can go the longer route to just uninstall the apps you don't want on the handheld. once you do that, they wont re-install unless you initiate the install

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
the apps you have on a Google play account will always restore to any new device you activate with that Google play account. the only apps that wont restore to the GS3 are those ones that are not compatible with GS3 because they were designed solely for the tab. most apps have a handheld and a tablet version and the appropriate version will appear on all devices using that account

but the problem I'm experiencing is the complete opposite.

All the apps that were automatically showed up on my new S3 are the apps that were only installed on the Samsung Galaxy tablet. None of the apps that are on my Galaxy Nexus showed up on the new S3. Again, I only have one Gmail address and all three devices use that address.

When I went into the Google Play store, it shows all three devices. S3 and Galaxy tablet are now showing identical number of apps installed,.. (even in the same order)

Any ideas? :)

Tayman52

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
The same thing happen to me when i first got my s3......even the wallpaper from my tablet came over to the s3

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
The same thing happen to me when i first got my s3......even the wallpaper from my tablet came over to the s3

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

yeah, me too.. my Samsung Galaxy tablet had the aquarium live wallpaper that I installed from the Google Play store.
when I activated my Galaxy S3, the same live wallpaper got installed automatically. (my Galaxy Nexu, under the same
Gmail account, always had a different wallpaper)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad