Can't Access Application Manager - Settings Stopped Working

moemo916

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I am trying to delete/look at my applications on my phone but when I try to go to the Application Manager screen it opens up, freezes then shutdowns.

Settings>Application manager then I get "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped."

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen that problem posted before, so I can only give you the standard suggestions:
1. Restart the phone
2. Power off and remove the battery
3. Perform a factory reset
Is your phone rooted? Have you installed an alternate launcher? The service that's crashing is a system service so it's unlikely that an application has corrupted it, but a launcher might be the culprit.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

moemo916

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Actually I found the problem. It was one of the recent applications I downloaded.

Prior to finding the problem though I did steps 1 and 2; it didn't work. Thanks for the reply though!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Glad you figured it out - it may help someone else if you list what application was causing that problem.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Hubs27

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Same thing with me on Samsung GT-I9300 with Android 4.1.1
I came across this problem 2 times.
The first time it happened when I installed a game "Waking Mars". The game was working fine, I played for around 20 minutes and then wanted to check free storage left after installing. But when I opened Application manager swiping was very laggy and after a few (5-10) secs it crashed with "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped" error or just closed. At that time I didn't know that it was because of "Waking Mars" and started to delete unnecessery applications I installed that day and yesterday, but problem vanished only after uninstalling "Waking Mars". Also, while this app was installed, phone's screen was glitchy and became bleached (the glitch disappeared after rebooting), like when "Natural" screen mode is activated, but it wasn't. When I had tried to install the game again, the problem came back.
The second time it was because of "Galaxy On Fire 2" installed. Same problems appeared: crashing Application manager and glitchy screen.
Both games contained their data in ".apk" file, but another Waking Mars version with separate data (cache) caused the same problem too.
For those of you who wanna check if the game works fine on your device, check these .apk's:
Waking Mars
Galaxy on Fire 2 for Mali-400 MP devices (Galaxy S3\S2\Note)
By the way, funny thing is that both games are about space :D
P.S.: Sorry for my English, it isn't my native language.

zentenario

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Actually I found the problem. It was one of the recent applications I downloaded.

Prior to finding the problem though I did steps 1 and 2; it didn't work. Thanks for the reply though!

Hi moemo916, could you be so kind to tell me what app are talking about -causing that issue? I'm facing the same problem too and have none of apps mentioned by Hubs27 here below

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Jimmy,
Not quite sure what problem you're having - it's normal following a Factory Reset to have to go through the setup process again. Just follow the various prompts to select your language, enable your Google account, etc.
If there's something else happening please be a little more specific.

PhoneixS

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your tip. In my case I have Waking Mars installed, after uninstall it I can access Application Manager again.

Maybe is because Application Manager try to whes what is the size of the app and crash because a dark cause.

sgcosimo

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
i didn't get "settings has stopped "message,but i can't get to settings to Change anything. When i press settings,it goes for like 2 seconds,then exit to home screen.still can't figure out why and what to do.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You're between a rock and a hard place - if you can't get into the Settings menu you can't do anything to correct the problem (like uninstalling apps).

You could try booting into Recovery mode and clearing the system cache. If that doesn't work then it's time for a Factory Reset.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Anil Kumar15

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Can someone please give me a step by step instruction on how to root my samsung s3. My google play and application manager is not working. Have already tried to reset to factory setting. Still the problem persists. Someone please help.

Thanks

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Did you try booting into Recovery mode and clearing the system cache?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Anil Kumar15

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
I have similar problems as discussed in the thread. some of the apps in my S3 is not working. It says unfortunately stopped working... My google play store, application manager, whatsapp etc are not working. As some of you suggested to clear cache, i am not even able to go to application manager to try that. not been able to delete google play store app. I have already tried the factory reset and the button reset as suggested by another forum. can someone please help me to reinstate my phone to original settings. I dont mind losing any data or apps. If someone know a solution, kindly give a step by step instructions so i can try accordingly. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you cleared the system cache in Recovery mode, and performed a Factory Reset, the only other suggestion I can provide is to reload the firmware using the Kies software on your PC - something is really messed up and that should take care of it.

Alexa Manzano

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I can't also access the settings on my phone, the same the camera and gallery. error message said they suddenly stopped working. Their icons also disappeared on my phone. I tried hard factory reset but I get "OOBE suddenly stopped working". Good thing I had a back up so I got my phone working again but I still can't access my settings, camera and gallery.

Please help guys.

Hitesh Jagwani

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
I can't also access the settings on my phone, the same the camera and gallery. error message said they suddenly stopped working. Their icons also disappeared on my phone. I tried hard factory reset but I get "OOBE suddenly stopped working". Good thing I had a back up so I got my phone working again but I still can't access my settings, camera and gallery.

Please help guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac