Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By charlier180
  • 2 Post By paintdrinkingpete
  • 1 Post By Ricky Babalu
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Jellybean

Will we ever get an auto update from ice cream sandwhich...i think that is ehat i have

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Jellybean

Quote Originally Posted by Lorroth1 View Post
    Will we ever get an auto update from ice cream sandwhich...i think that is ehat i have

VZW is cruel! I think they want to get all they can out of the Jellybean OS equipped Droid line and Note II. Then the GSIII will get it in the middle of December. Hope I'm wrong.

Global Posts
    924 Global Posts

You are.. We won't get it middle of December... More like middle of February

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 on Verizon 12G

Quote Originally Posted by DT81 View Post
    You are.. We won't get it middle of December... More like middle of February

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 on Verizon 12G
    I suppose since you have an s8 running on Verizon 12G you probably will not get it untilled February 2020...
    Meanwhile!

I just got JB... You just have to look in the Drippler GSG3 forums. The post is dated 11-19-12. Leaked VZW JB 4.1.1 already rooted version that does not show up on the VZW binary flash counter. This version is only for the Verizon SCH-I 535. I got it installed and running in less than 8 minutes.
    $@$

Does the rooted JB have the same battery life as ICS? I am very satisfied with ics battery life.

My old gs2 went from fair to very bad in battery life when I installed official update to ics. That was a sprint version, now I have gs3 on Verizon. I just do not want to jump on an update and find the update kills the battery life once again.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jpent View Post
    Does the rooted JB have the same battery life as ICS? I am very satisfied with ics battery life.

My old gs2 went from fair to very bad in battery life when I installed official update to ics. That was a sprint version, now I have gs3 on Verizon. I just do not want to jump on an update and find the update kills the battery life once again.

Thanks.

I'm very happy with the battery life with JB. It's as good, if not better than ICS. IMHO.
    $@$
    Sent From My SCH-I535

Quote Originally Posted by wiscottsin View Post
    I just got JB... You just have to look in the Drippler GSG3 forums. The post is dated 11-19-12. Leaked VZW JB 4.1.1 already rooted version that does not show up on the VZW binary flash counter. This version is only for the Verizon SCH-I 535. I got it installed and running in less than 8 minutes.
    $@$

Depends on the ROM and kernel. Devs often make several kernels that target certain areas to excel over others and of course a balanced one as well. Some kernels give excellent battery life and some give crazy performance by over clocking the cpu thus affecting battery life.

Mobile Devices: Nexus 5 32GB Black
    Carrier: AT&T
    Computer: MacBook Pro (2012) 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    Other devices: iPad Mini

The Basics: Unlocking and Rooting - http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc...hing-roms.html

The OP is asking about JB OTA! So you guys are a little off topic or high jacked the thread. Which ever.

Drives me crazy when people try to talk or ask questions not related to rooting and rom their phone and a bunch of people have to brag or try to push it on people. Don't get me wrong I love to play and have several phones and tablets that are rooted. Before bashing me read the OP and help answer her with the intended question that person asked.

A Jellybean update is no doubt in the works. Nothing anyone here does or says will speed up the process when it comes to an over the air update from the carrier.
    One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes updates come with problems. The new operating system itself can have issues that do not come up until after it is released. Be advised that an operating system update can cause apps that worked fine with the prior operating system to start crashing or causing the phone to crash. When it comes to a new operating system some might say "Be Careful what you wish for, you might get it" (and more... headaches).

Having been in a number of "soak groups" with my previous Motorola Droid X phone I can tell you first hand that past operating system releases were FAR FROM PERFECT. Some phone makers and carriers are not as focused on putting out a quality product as they should be. That means headaches for the consumer who choose to keep their phones stock and want updates ASAP.

I have been in the Tech field for 30+ years. While the thought of rooting is very tempting, I simply do not have the time to do it and deal with possible issues that can and do come up when one does root. Right now I need a device that works and fits my needs so I keep my device stock. For those who have the time to root their phones, do the extra work involved and deal with potential problems that can come with rooting I say have at it. Freedom of choice and flexibility is why we use Android devices and what it is all about.

Well, there have been 3 leaks in the past month or so, what that tells me is:

1. The official OTA is not far off -- generally a lot of leaks in a short amount of time means they are getting close to polished "ready for prime time" version.

2. The fact that the most recent leak just popped up last week means there *if* this latest does in fact turn out to be the approved official version, then you're probably looking a few weeks of testing prior to release. If too many bugs are found and they need to tweak it again...that will add more time.

Despite some paranoid theorists around here, I can guarantee you that VZW and/or Samsung doesn't just "sit" on a perfectly good update to allow another device (i.e. Note 2) to benefit from being the "only device with Jellybean" -- it's simply a matter of getting an OS through the R&D process, which Verizon is known to have one of the most stringent (for better or worse). Delaying updates doesn't benefit anyone...but pushing out buggy updates has a much more negative effect on Verizon's PR than being late to get it out.

Having run all 3 of the latest leaks, I will say the first 2 did definitely have some bugs and quirky behavior (i.e. auto-correct issues with keyboard, unable to turn off LED notifications, etc), although this latest leak does "feel like a winner" so far, been running it since Friday and haven't found any real bugs based on my usage yet.

As far as battery life goes, I have found the JB leaks to be noticeably better than the previous ICS...so I'm happy about that!
    Thanked by 3:
    dyastrab and karsdroid like this.
    BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by charlier180 View Post
    A Jellybean update is no doubt in the works. Nothing anyone here does or says will speed up the process when it comes to an over the air update from the carrier.
    One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes updates come with problems. The new operating system itself can have issues that do not come up until after it is released. Be advised that an operating system update can cause apps that worked fine with the prior operating system to start crashing or causing the phone to crash. When it comes to a new operating system some might say "Be Careful what you wish for, you might get it" (and more... headaches).

Having been in a number of "soak groups" with my previous Motorola Droid X phone I can tell you first hand that past operating system releases were FAR FROM PERFECT. Some phone makers and carriers are not as focused on putting out a quality product as they should be. That means headaches for the consumer who choose to keep their phones stock and want updates ASAP.

I have been in the Tech field for 30+ years. While the thought of rooting is very tempting, I simply do not have the time to do it and deal with possible issues that can and do come up when one does root. Right now I need a device that works and fits my needs so I keep my device stock. For those who have the time to root their phones, do the extra work involved and deal with potential problems that can come with rooting I say have at it. Freedom of choice and flexibility is why we use Android devices and what it is all about.
    On your first point 100% agree! Which brings me to your 2nd point. I rooted and unlocked my phone so I can have the choice to "block" the upcoming update. JB will get pushed out without your consent and if there are bugs or issues with it there is nothing you can do. If after reading the reviews/comments on JB, I decide to "accept" I can do so. I also need a device that works and fits my needs, which is why mine is "Stock", and which is why I am staying on ICS, the jury is out on JB. BTW, rooting took all of 5 minutes and gives me "peace of mind" knowing the JB update will not be forced on me (something you cannot prevent if you are not rooted).

To the OP, yes you will eventually get JB, but when is anyone's guess.
    chevyman29 likes this.

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

Well im not about to root my new gs3 for JB. Hopfully it will be no later then december... google now would be the real crazy thing to look fourward too IMO.