S3 Battery Life

randomdude

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
keep in mind this is using the stock battery.

i have two emails accounts pushed, check facebook and twitter every so often, text, etc. i have wifi on at work and home as well

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Are you guys getting 18+ hours not using your phone much? I'm a fairly heavy user and can't always get through the day. I'm on wi-fi at home (also work from home) but the battery drains fast in the evening when I'm using it most. I don't stream movies, music or do Facebook but I'm on Chrome and Twitter quite a bit. I am stock however.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I got this phone on Sunday and love it so far. My gnex had horrible battery life even with the extended battery.

Yesterday streamed Pandora all day and got 8 hours. Today no Pandora and am at 78% after 3.5 hours off the charger.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
The Thunderbolt was a pretty big bust. The S3 battery life is amazing. I use my phone a lot and will still have 30 to 40% battery life by the end of the day. I use mine for both work and personal.

- - - Updated - - -

The Thunderbolt was a pretty big bust. The S3 battery life is amazing. I use my phone a lot and will still have 30 to 40% battery life by the end of the day. I use mine for both work and personal.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
First, to the OP -- the battery life on the S3, even with the stock battery and running stock OS is definitely a noticeable improvement over the Thunderbolt's battery. As a previous TBolt owner myself, I can attest to this first-hand. Obviously each person uses their phone differently, but with a similar usage profile, I'd estimate I get 1.5 to 2 time the battery life out of mine. The only problem, the S3 is so awesome, I find I use it more (which obviously is a battery killer in and of itself!).

Are you guys getting 18+ hours not using your phone much? I'm a fairly heavy user and can't always get through the day. I'm on wi-fi at home (also work from home) but the battery drains fast in the evening when I'm using it most. I don't stream movies, music or do Facebook but I'm on Chrome and Twitter quite a bit. I am stock however.

There are a lot factors to consider. I have easily got 18+ hours on a charge before...but that's assuming I'm not using it non-stop, spending most of my time on WIFI and definitely not streaming videos. Two weeks ago, for example, I was home all weekend and generally just hanging around the house, so I pulled my phone off the charger Saturday morning and left it off until Sunday morning with around 20-30% remaining (sometimes I'll leave it off the charger just to see how far I can push it!). So that's a full 24 hours and charge to spare.

Now, on the flip side, during the week when I'm working in my office (with awful cell reception and no wifi) and using my phone much more frequently, I generally have to plug in the phone after lunch just to make it through the day.

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
First, to the OP -- the battery life on the S3, even with the stock battery and running stock OS is definitely a noticeable improvement over the Thunderbolt's battery. As a previous TBolt owner myself, I can attest to this first-hand. Obviously each person uses their phone differently, but with a similar usage profile, I'd estimate I get 1.5 to 2 time the battery life out of mine. The only problem, the S3 is so awesome, I find I use it more (which obviously is a battery killer in and of itself!).

There are a lot factors to consider. I have easily got 18+ hours on a charge before...but that's assuming I'm not using it non-stop, spending most of my time on WIFI and definitely not streaming videos. Two weeks ago, for example, I was home all weekend and generally just hanging around the house, so I pulled my phone off the charger Saturday morning and left it off until Sunday morning with around 20-30% remaining (sometimes I'll leave it off the charger just to see how far I can push it!). So that's a full 24 hours and charge to spare.

Now, on the flip side, during the week when I'm working in my office (with awful cell reception and no wifi) and using my phone much more frequently, I generally have to plug in the phone after lunch just to make it through the day.

That makes sense. I just don't see how people are claiming that much battery life on ANY Android phone with a decent amount of use. Having left Android back in May to iOS, I was shocked at how good the 4S' battery life was. Now that I'm back to Android (to stay this time), I have to work to get it through the day on a single charge. Fortunately I'm almost always near a power source but it's nice to know how far I can stretch it if I need to. If I really tried I could get over 2 days out of my 4S. I haven't had a chance to see how far I can stretch the GS3's battery yet.

Movein

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I take mine off the charger at 6am and its got 20% left at 10pm. Not a heavy user but moderate. My son has s3 too and he complains his battery is going down quick. I think its an app he installed. I told him to reset it. Not sure he has yet.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm at 14 hours with 13% left. I used it moderately today and I don't know how I could ever get any more with the way I use my phone. I might try rooting and see if that will help squeeze some more battery life.

Sting32

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
The problem with battery life, it is affected by so many things (I know we hear this over and over) but I live in the sticks, and when at work I'm in the basement, of an OLD hospital. weak signal makes my phone go nearly dead in 12 hours, if I dont plug it into USB. Nice thing about this phone is I can get spare battery, and a $4 charger from amazon, which I have done with my Droid3, and swap when I get home. Plus I have battery to take with me (charged and ready) for when I wont be near a computer or the car charger, camping for example. My Droid used to last not quite as long as this S3 does, but as the battery got old, like 1 year, well... last week droid would die at 3pm if not charged at work, where before it would last past 5pm (when I got to the car). second battery is nice for me. Im thinking to get 2 of those 4800mah batteries for this guy...

srgio123

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The Razor series doesn't have removable batteries, but with the gs3 you can replace the stock battery with extended batteries. My 4000mah battery blows away the 3300mah Razor Maxx battery, I hardly ever see my charger anymore.

ducey99

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The Razor series doesn't have removable batteries, but with the gs3 you can replace the stock battery with extended batteries. My 4000mah battery blows away the 3300mah Razor Maxx battery, I hardly ever see my charger anymore.

I'm curious as to how the S3 looks with the extended battery. Is there any way that you can post a picture of your S3 with the etx w/ and w/o the case?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

socal

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
S3 battery is 100x better than my old TB.
Usually made it through the day with no problems. After one of the recent updates, I noticed it wasn't lasting as long but also could have been due to some new apps I installed as well.
I recently decided to root and install CleanROM 4.5 and my battery life has been even better. Almost made it two full days on one charge with moderate use.
Today I'm nine hours in with moderate use and only down to 78%. Most of my time is spent in a wifi area.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
So I just read a post from someone who said their husband upgraded from an iPhone 4 to the S3 and said that after an update the battery is as bad as the HTC Thunderbolt. If anyone knows anything about the Thunderbolt they know that the battery SUCKS! (its my current phone). I take my battery off the charger at 7am and change my battery by 9am. Yea its bad. I'm getting the S3 in 5 day, please tell me that I'm not making a mistake with getting the S3.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Wait so they went from the iPhone to the s3? And making comments about a phone they didn't have?

No S3 battery life is crazy good. Best I've ever had. My the time my day is done I always have over 75% left and I generally have 2 hours of screen on time with that percentage.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

LdotAdot13

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Battery life isn't too bad! Better then my old rezound, that's for sure.

Sent from my S3 CletuS using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354409191952.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354409191952.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 58
Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been averaging 14-18 hours of moderate usage out of mine and I'm very pleased with it. My EVO 4G gets about 2 hours a charge anymore so it is a great change. One thing I did try last night was setting my g3 on airplane mode, when I woke up it had 5 hours on it and it was still at 99%. Surprised the heck outta me. :)

ducey99

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
This is with moderate - heavy usage. I would have changed my TB battery about 4 tines by now. Loving my SIII.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355880756443.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355880756443.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 43

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
It's not THAT bad! However, I did get an extended battery, and love it; yes, it is more bulky, but I hardly notice it. 2 of the things I really liked when I first got it is the light weight, and slim depth; but I've been surprised at how the extended battery with custom back doesn't bother me. The screen on this phone is awesome! I get 1.5-2 days without a charge with my 4600 mAh Mugen battery. Yes, it was expensive, but so worth it.

Did you get a case to go with the extended battery? My biggest problem with extended batteries from anywhere is the extra size of the case which are usually built lousy

RunSilent23

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I have one suggestion: Give it some time. Every time I have updated my Android devices (Samsung Fascinate and GSIII), it takes about 7-10 days for my battery life to get back to normal. Apps are continually updating and I am using the phone more trying out all of the new features. The other thing is that the update changes several of the settings back to some power-consuming defaults (like haptic feadback and brightness).

So try a little patience and make some simple adjustments before you get too uptight about the battery. Oh and stop pinging Google Now every 5 minutes about things like the meaning of life and how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty