S3 Battery Life

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
This is with moderate - heavy usage. I would have changed my TB battery about 4 tines by now. Loving my SIII.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy SIII

Screen shots of screen-on time or this doesn't mean anything. The fact that standby is higher indicates actual usage time was pretty low.

ducey99

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Screen shots of screen-on time or this doesn't mean anything. The fact that standby is higher indicates actual usage time was pretty low.

Too late. It's a new day. It may not mean anything to you but it means the world to me. I wouldn't have made it 3 hours not using my TB let alone 14 hours.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Too late. It's a new day. It may not mean anything to you but it means the world to me. I wouldn't have made it 3 hours not using my TB let alone 14 hours.

What I mean is that even though you had a long time between charges, it doesn't appear you used it much. Any phone can sit for 14 hours.

ducey99

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
What I mean is that even though you had a long time between charges, it doesn't appear you used it much. Any phone can sit for 14 hours.

I'm understand that and I'll post a screen shot of display on time the next time but I believe there are plenty of people out there who would beg to disagree with you. Was I playing on the phone the entire 14 hours? No. Was it used consistently throughout the day? Yes. The Thunderbolt, which was my previous phone could not just sit on a 4G connection for 3 hours, let alone 14. And I did use it. Nevertheless, I posted it in comparison to my TB and to say that the battery on this phone is much better than the phone I had before. In fact, if you go back to the very first post of this thread,... which I in fact posted, it was a comparison of the SIII to the Thunderbolt. #okaybye

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys. I am new to the forums and really need help. I just got my Galaxy S3 two days ago from a Verizon store. I love it, except the battery life is horrendous. I have done many things to try to conserve it like disabling features and downloading juice defender. The battery life was much better since, but it is still bad compared to my old iPhone. I get7 hours and 13 minutes on battery with 9 percent left. My screen time on is 4 hours and 22 minutes at 9 percent. My display is using 43 percent of power, the Android OS is using 17 percent, and the internet is using 9 percent. Is my battery/phone defective? What do I do? Thank you!

godsidekurt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Did you turn off Gtalk ? That's enabled out of the box. Also not reporting from this device in Gmaps...both of those helped my battery. Don't forget too if you're in a area which gets a bad signal, that drains your battery fatty too

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I took a look at Juice Defender Ultimate on my S3. It's supposed to extend battery, and it does. Sort of. A little. I wrote pretty long review that gives an overview of method, results and what they mean in the real world. But it did teach me a couple of things. If you are not within range of wifi - or even if you are and not downloading lots of data, turn it off. Turn off bluetooth if you are not using it. Cut the brightness of your screen. For everyday use I fine 50% plenty. I get through a day with 40-45% battery doing this, which is fine since I charge every night. But if you want real longevity, your choices are limited. Get an extended battery (I cannot recommend the Onite strongly enough - it runs longer than a Maxx or MaxxHD. How do I know? I have them and have checked). Or forget the S3 and get a Maxx. They are both just superb phones. You won't regret either.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys. I am new to the forums and really need help. I just got my Galaxy S3 two days ago from a Verizon store. I love it, except the battery life is horrendous. I have done many things to try to conserve it like disabling features and downloading juice defender. The battery life was much better since, but it is still bad compared to my old iPhone. I get7 hours and 13 minutes on battery with 9 percent left. My screen time on is 4 hours and 22 minutes at 9 percent. My display is using 43 percent of power, the Android OS is using 17 percent, and the internet is using 9 percent. Is my battery/phone defective? What do I do? Thank you!

4hrs and 22minutes of screen on time is better than most people get on most phones so I really don't see your problem.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

LdotAdot13

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm very satisfied with my battery life!
sent from CletuS the almighty S3

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359953865816.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359953865816.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 24
Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, it's not that good IMO. It just died at 7 hours and 30 mins at 4:00 PM. Didn't last me all day:(Juice defender plus installed. GPS off. Brightness: 25 percent. Battery defective?

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, it's not that good IMO. It just died at 7 hours and 30 mins at 4:00 PM. Didn't last me all day:(Juice defender plus installed. GPS off. Brightness: 25 percent. Battery defective?

How much screen on time? If ur 3hrs or around that on screen on time then it sounds pretty normal

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

I'm understand that and I'll post a screen shot of display on time the next time but I believe there are plenty of people out there who would beg to disagree with you. Was I playing on the phone the entire 14 hours? No. Was it used consistently throughout the day? Yes. The Thunderbolt, which was my previous phone could not just sit on a 4G connection for 3 hours, let alone 14. And I did use it. Nevertheless, I posted it in comparison to my TB and to say that the battery on this phone is much better than the phone I had before. In fact, if you go back to the very first post of this thread,... which I in fact posted, it was a comparison of the SIII to the Thunderbolt. #okaybye

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3

It's true, my old Thunderbolt would lose ~10%/hour in standby (screen off, no user interaction) if mobile data (4G LTE) was on. While screenshots of battery life may be misleading because we know little of the conditions surrounding the device (network connection status, apps used, amount of data transferred, screen time, etc), I feel they can be least semi-relevant in posts like this. The degree of relevance obviously increases if the person posting the screenshot gives as much info about the scenario in which that performance was achieved, however.

Did you turn off Gtalk ? That's enabled out of the box. Also not reporting from this device in Gmaps...both of those helped my battery. Don't forget too if you're in a area which gets a bad signal, that drains your battery fatty too.

Disabling GTalk or *any* unused services will obviously help get you as much extra juice as possible, but for each user it's going to be different. I actually use GTalk quite a bit, so for me leaving it on is necessary. I prefer to leave maps on too. Just a matter of balancing which services you want vs. the battery efficiency you want to achieve. Maps can be a battery hog, especially if you use Google Now and are in a low-signal area with poor data signal, however I've never really found Google Talk to make that much of a difference.

1. Remove Juice Defender

2. Are you able to pinpoint which apps are frequently using data? What kind of network are you using (wifi, mobile)? What kind of signal strength do you have?

When I'm at home on wifi, my battery lasts incredibly long -- I've gone close to 48 hours on a single charge. At work in my office, however, with horrible signal and wifi to connect to, my phone is often near dead by lunch time even if I start the day on a full charge.

Under normal conditions, screen time is probably gonna be the biggest consumer of power, however if your data signal is low, and you've apps trying to access data, that will eat your battery VERY quickly.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
It's true, my old Thunderbolt would lose ~10%/hour in standby (screen off, no user interaction) if mobile data (4G LTE) was on. While screenshots of battery life may be misleading because we know little of the conditions surrounding the device (network connection status, apps used, amount of data transferred, screen time, etc), I feel they can be least semi-relevant in posts like this. The degree of relevance obviously increases if the person posting the screenshot gives as much info about the scenario in which that performance was achieved, however.

Disabling GTalk or *any* unused services will obviously help get you as much extra juice as possible, but for each user it's going to be different. I actually use GTalk quite a bit, so for me leaving it on is necessary. I prefer to leave maps on too. Just a matter of balancing which services you want vs. the battery efficiency you want to achieve. Maps can be a battery hog, especially if you use Google Now and are in a low-signal area with poor data signal, however I've never really found Google Talk to make that much of a difference.

1. Remove Juice Defender

2. Are you able to pinpoint which apps are frequently using data? What kind of network are you using (wifi, mobile)? What kind of signal strength do you have?

When I'm at home on wifi, my battery lasts incredibly long -- I've gone close to 48 hours on a single charge. At work in my office, however, with horrible signal and wifi to connect to, my phone is often near dead by lunch time even if I start the day on a full charge.

Under normal conditions, screen time is probably gonna be the biggest consumer of power, however if your data signal is low, and you've apps trying to access data, that will eat your battery VERY quickly.

I'm usually on 4G LTE, but I come home at around 4 and I have wifi at home. I just got a replacement today from Verizon since I was within warranty. Maybe this S3 will perform better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad