Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ttrimmer
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    I am coming from Droid Bionic, and looking at the Galaxy S3 and the new Razr phones. All I want to know is are these reception issues that noticeable? If so, will Jellybean improve it?

    Thanks,


    Deadlift425
  2. #2  
    sroake4's Avatar

    Posts
    16 Posts
    ROM
    EA28 Rooted and Debloated

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    I have no reception or connectivity complaints and it is a huge improvement over the fascinate I came from.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    For me, the reception on my S3 is better than on my old Bionic.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    cjsmoove likes this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    I had both a bionic and a razr maxx. I've only had the S3 for about a week but I have to say there is a huge difference as far as signal strength and reception goes. In the positive way! The S3 is leaps and bounds better. I had both my maxx and S3 side by side and had 2 bars on my maxx and 4 on the S3. Much better phone!

    Sent from CletuS3 using Android Central Forums
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    I've had no signal issues in real world connectivity .... however my phone shows my signal bouncing from 1x, 3g, 4g, often at home.....i ignore it go my merry way and like i said, have no problem. im sadly outside of a 4g zone by a hair.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttrimmer View Post
    For me, the reception on my S3 is better than on my old Bionic.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

    THIS^^^^ From my experience this whole Motorola has better radios thing is for the birds...
    SUCCESS IS MY ONLY OPTION...FAILURE IS NOT !!
  7. #7  
    fofjjsr's Avatar
    Android4life

    Posts
    612 Posts

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    I have had ZERO connectivity problems with my S3. I actually rock full bars nearly all the time unless I am deep into a building of some sorts. I have full bars in my house as we speak with no boosters of any type.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by cjsmoove View Post
    THIS^^^^ From my experience this whole Motorola has better radios thing is for the birds...
    I tend to agree for the most part. Going backwards from 3g on Motorola had unbeatable radios... but since 4g phones started coming out with the exception of when the Tbolt came out hTC has had the best radio setup. Each of the big three manufacturers had issues with their first introduced 4g (Tbolt, bionic, charge) phones, but since has come along ways. Whoops Samsung had 2 with the charge and GNex. But at this point all the high end phones that has come out in 2012 are fairly equal. Antenna arrays and software are really the only differences now.
    You are going to hear complaints about any device when it comes to reception. There are many variables for these complaints.
    I wouldn't hesitate recommending the GS3 to anyone.
  9. #9  
    lbkiml's Avatar

    Posts
    288 Posts
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    Most people have acceptable reception. I, along with some others, have horrible reception. We aren't in fringe areas. I'm in the city.
    For me, it has to do with the buildings because I can barely use it indoors but I get reception when I step outside.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    The S3 for me is the worst reception of anything I've had including Blackberry and Droid Charge. Still acceptable though. I added a booster to my car so Im all set.
    Chicks Dig The Long Ball
  11. #11  
    Crispy's Avatar

    Posts
    433 Posts
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock Galaxy S3

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    The S3 has great reception in normal areas. But its terrible in low signal areas. I've verified this with Verizon reps who reported the same thing from many customers, and with 3 different phones where I live.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    Coming from a droid3 I would say the cellular data is as good as the Moto, the Wifi signal is better than the Moto, and the call qualiry/clarity is worse than the Moto.

    -Suntan
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    I jumped from a dying Thunderbolt which never had great reception.... and this thing is fantastic. No dropped calls as yet, a breeze to work with and extensive support from groups like this.

    great phone, does everything I need.
    Last edited by Kage87Z; 11-30-2012 at 12:17 AM.
    ☆ ★ | ROM | [JellyBean][4.3] BeanStalk Build 4.3.1001 - [04 OCT] |★ ☆



  14. #14  

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    Only trouble I have is when I'm in a bad area. I will be browsing and the browser will lock up and I will see the data drop out but if I wait a few seconds either a 4G or 1x comes back and it will keep happening until I'm in a better area. It's almost as if the phone is having trouble choosing a connection and gets hung up switching back and forth.

    I thought it was my phone at first and I came from a nexus so I freaked until I saw my fiancé's 4s with full 3G unable to load Web pages in the same areas. 3G is only time I get those data drops though once on a good 4G signal its rock solid and 10 fold better than the nexus.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Galaxy Nexus!!! Finally Mine
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by CBCstillmatic View Post
    Only trouble I have is when I'm in a bad area. I will be browsing and the browser will lock up and I will see the data drop out but if I wait a few seconds either a 4G or 1x comes back and it will keep happening until I'm in a better area. It's almost as if the phone is having trouble choosing a connection and gets hung up switching back and forth.

    I thought it was my phone at first and I came from a nexus so I freaked until I saw my fiancé's 4s with full 3G unable to load Web pages in the same areas. 3G is only time I get those data drops though once on a good 4G signal its rock solid and 10 fold better than the nexus.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Same thing happened to me yesterday at the hospital. Bouncing from 4G,3G,1x and gone. So I grabbed my wife's Razr Maxx and it was doing the same thing. I was happy to see the signal the same with both.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by leroybrute View Post
    Same thing happened to me yesterday at the hospital. Bouncing from 4G,3G,1x and gone. So I grabbed my wife's Razr Maxx and it was doing the same thing. I was happy to see the signal the same with both.
    Lol exactly!! Imagine my relief after coming from the nexus! I do seam to have frequent 3G issues with my browser not loading even though it's showing a strong 3G signal but again it seams it's any phone in the same area. Wouldn't happen to be in NJ by any chance?

    Think it's just the growing pains of the lte roll out and the phone choosing between signals. They could also be having minor network issues from the storm too. Can't wait for the day there's only lte everywhere they currently have 3G.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Galaxy Nexus!!! Finally Mine
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by CBCstillmatic View Post
    Lol exactly!! Imagine my relief after coming from the nexus! I do seam to have frequent 3G issues with my browser not loading even though it's showing a strong 3G signal but again it seams it's any phone in the same area. Wouldn't happen to be in NJ by any chance?

    Think it's just the growing pains of the lte roll out and the phone choosing between signals. They could also be having minor network issues from the storm too. Can't wait for the day there's only lte everywhere they currently have 3G.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    No I'm in Idaho. I have never noticed this issue until we were at the hospital. Very large brick and steel building. Go outside and have great 4g.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by leroybrute View Post
    No I'm in Idaho. I have never noticed this issue until we were at the hospital. Very large brick and steel building. Go outside and have great 4g.
    Ah that could be the case... now that I'm thinking about it, this has always happened inside. Last time it happened I was in a Walgreens. It has happened at work too.

    I work in an xray department in a hospital but the hospital uses Verizon services so they installed stuff that strengthen the signal but only 3G, gives full service even inside lead lined walls. Never could get 4G here but now I'm starting to see it strongly when I go outside or upstairs and occasionally very weak inside the department, so I think that's the problem. It wants to switch to 1 or 2 bars of 4G in the department instead of just hanging onto the solid 3G signal. I could just set it to CDMA only at work to avoid the switches that I believe cause the dropouts of data but it happens very rarely and doesn't swam to effect battery to much.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Galaxy Nexus!!! Finally Mine
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by CBCstillmatic View Post
    Ah that could be the case... now that I'm thinking about it, this has always happened inside. Last time it happened I was in a Walgreens. It has happened at work too.

    I work in an xray department in a hospital but the hospital uses Verizon services so they installed stuff that strengthen the signal but only 3G, gives full service even inside lead lined walls. Never could get 4G here but now I'm starting to see it strongly when I go outside or upstairs and occasionally very weak inside the department, so I think that's the problem. It wants to switch to 1 or 2 bars of 4G in the department instead of just hanging onto the solid 3G signal. I could just set it to CDMA only at work to avoid the switches that I believe cause the dropouts of data but it happens very rarely and doesn't swam to effect battery to much.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Yea it's strange how some buildings mess with electronics. Walmart is one place.
    Here's a funny one. At one of our local liquor stores you cannot remote lock or unlock your car. The cashier said it happens to every car with no clue why.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    I had a GS3 with Sprint and the reception was garbage. It never went passed 2 bars and even the signal for the wifi was not so great either. Now I have one on Verizon and I have no reception or signal complaints. I believe the network somewhat depends on how good the reception on the phone will be based on my experience. I have no issues with my GS3 so far on Verizon as far as reception goes, knock on wood.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
  21. #21  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    The building thing is because of the bands that vzw has. I do not know all that is involved, but apparently the spectrum that vzw has is on the weaker end, thus less building penetration. It also depends on the material the building is made of and even the amount of flouresent lights present. All those thing can interfere.

    As far as the car thing, I would check to see what stores are close by. Someone has a damper in use.

    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    Yeah I understand the inside thing but I think what I was talking about was in think what they call a fringe area where it's on the edge of coverage so the phone wants to pick up the 4G buts its not really good do the data gets dropped in the switch while the phone battles with itself to choose a signal.

    This I'm guessing won't happen as often as they roll out more coverage or if they ever go full lte one day. Are there any advantages to Verizon's frequency, why would they choose such a week one?

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Galaxy Nexus!!! Finally Mine
  23. #23  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    Again I am just going on what I remember of the conversation that I had about this before, but I believe that the frequency that they went with while weaker, allowed for more devices (lower frequency broader spectrum).

    Price may have been a factor too, but I doubt it
  24. #24  
    lbkiml's Avatar

    Posts
    288 Posts
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts

    Default Re: Is the reception on the S3 really that bad?

    So probably the area + carrier.

    For me, it's actually usable with 1 "bar" of 4g, than 3 "bars" of 3g. I cant load any pages with 3g unless its full signal.

Similar Threads

  1. How is the GPS on the Galaxy S3?
    By Andy847 in forum Verizon Galaxy S3
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-22-2013, 09:29 AM
  2. How is the GPS reception on the S3?? I need to know...
    By Night Train in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 07:06 PM
  3. Is the Sprint Nexus S 4G really that bad?
    By droid_4_life in forum Sprint Nexus S 4G
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-05-2011, 05:53 AM
  4. Is the lack of speed and lag really that bad?
    By HoldFastHope in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 05:04 PM
  5. Screen quality in the sun, really that bad?
    By mikedaub in forum Google / HTC Nexus One
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 09:28 PM

Posting Permissions

B