Asurion Fraud

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I received a letter from Asurion thanking me for my recent transaction on a replacement device. They then regretted to inform me that because it was my second claim in 12 months they would be canceling my insurance effective immediately! Here's the problem I HAVE THE SAME S3 I BOUGHT THROUGH PREORDER. Someone had used my number and received two Galaxy S 3 devices, and had them shipped to a different address . I contacted Verizon about this and the phones were active in other states. Has anyone else ever been the victim of this fraud?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Can't say I've had any problems in the past with Asurion, which is what Sprint uses also.

I have made multiple claims on the same device within a 12 month period and have had good results.

I would really look more into this, especially if there is evidence/proof of varying shipment addresses other than your own.

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
The whole situation doesn't make sense. There is supposed to be a deductible paid upfront, and cannot be billed to account. So the thief either paid the deductible with a CC (would have the perps name) or the deductible was never issued (inside job from Asurion). The whole fact that the shipping address was changed only on the Asurion side is strange. My Verizon account still shows my address. I'm thinking this may have been an Asurion employee. I did some research and this has been going on for a while.

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Also I remember one day (the day Verizon told me the claim was made) , I received an email and text from Verizon saying that there was a change in my billing account and a letter would be in the 'My Verizon' documents. I never could find the letter explaining what was changed. This screams fraud all over it. Somewhere in one of these two companies dishonest employees are taking us for a ride.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I have seen a lot of phone/email scams going around that people have fallen for and giving out account information recently. Verizon should take care of this for you. Might take a little bit but the fraud team is real good and does a great job investigating these types of things. Give it time and it will be taken care of.

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Verizon has been great so far, have talked to two people and they seemed to genuinely care, and help me out. I really just want to know how this happened. I'm not one to fall for scams through email or text, so I wonder if my computer could be infected, but I have Norton 360 running all the time, I don't visit shady sites on my phone or laptop. Who knows?

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Do you shred your Verizon phone bill? I have been the victim of Identity Fraud twice! I shred everything with my name or address on it (might be paranoid), but better safe than sorry. Does not necessarily have to be a problem with your PC, text, or email. It is real easy for someone to dig through your trash and get loads of info on you.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Do you shred your Verizon phone bill? I have been the victim of Identity Fraud twice! I shred everything with my name or address on it (might be paranoid), but better safe than sorry. Does not necessarily have to be a problem with your PC, text, or email. It is real easy for someone to dig through your trash and get loads of info on you.

You actually get a paper bill? Save the trees (and more importantly your shredder), go paperless my man!

The dood

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
The whole situation doesn't make sense. There is supposed to be a deductible paid upfront, and cannot be billed to account. So the thief either paid the deductible with a CC (would have the perps name) or the deductible was never issued (inside job from Asurion). The whole fact that the shipping address was changed only on the Asurion side is strange. My Verizon account still shows my address. I'm thinking this may have been an Asurion employee. I did some research and this has been going on for a while.

I had Asurion with sprint & was able to have my claim billed to my account. 4 crappy replacements later, including one that the screen was falling out of. (right from the box) I no longer waist my money on "insurance".

Sorry to hear of the bad luck!
Imo, Asurion IS the scam.

Sent from my PH44100 using Android Central Forums

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Also I remember one day (the day Verizon told me the claim was made) , I received an email and text from Verizon saying that there was a change in my billing account and a letter would be in the 'My Verizon' documents. I never could find the letter explaining what was changed. This screams fraud all over it. Somewhere in one of these two companies dishonest employees are taking us for a ride.

Did you verify your billing and address info with Verizon??

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Kamen

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I had Asurion with sprint & was able to have my claim billed to my account. 4 crappy replacements later, including one that the screen was falling out of. (right from the box) I no longer waist my money on "insurance".

Sorry to hear of the bad luck!
Imo, Asurion IS the scam.

Sent from my PH44100 using Android Central Forums

This is why I buy my phones at Best Buy and opt for their insurance. Instead of getting a crappy refurb replacement they give you a brand new phone and they are much easier to deal with than Asurion. Plus they cover water damage for those times your phone accidentally falls in the toilet...

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Did you verify your billing and address info with Verizon??

I have, I looked through my profile and billing address is my address. I'm hoping it's just a employee that did this, and not someone who has all of my personal info for banks and my life outside of cellular. I definitely am going to start shredding everything.

gaijin82

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Inside job at Asurion sounds most likely. If you haven't been charged the 100 dollars each for the replacement phones then you haven't been hacked. The whole idea with Identity theft is that they spend YOUR money, not theirs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree it's probably just an inside job at Asurion. Have them clear those fraud claims somehow. They have to.

GatorPT

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Well they(Asurion) cleared my account, and did so rather quickly. The lady didn't seem surprised or taken back by the fact they were taken for fraud. That tells me that this issue happens pretty frequently and is probably an inside job and they know it.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Well they(Asurion) cleared my account, and did so rather quickly. The lady didn't seem surprised or taken back by the fact they were taken for fraud. That tells me that this issue happens pretty frequently and is probably an inside job and they know it.

Nice at least they cleared your account. So the deductible would be 100 bucks for an S3 in general correct?

Sting32

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
If you got an email saying you got something, that you didnt do, it is called PHISHING. Read up, I get emails throughout my workplace, saying newegg or some retailer is shipping your item, login to confirm... Be careful. more than 90% of the staff where I work even know what newegg is... if you use Internet Explorer turn on "status bar" this way you can see that the link for logon to newegg.com that it looks like on the email, actually takes you to something like http;//fakeaddress.newegg1ss.com for example. if you click the link in email, you logon they just copy and past what you typed into a list of account usernames and passwords they can buy stuff with.

pank

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Something is very, very fishy with this situation (no, not saying it's fishy on your end... just in general).
You need to be really careful and get something in writing that this is truly cleared up. When you get a replacement phone you only have 14 days (I think it's 14 days) to ship your old phone back to VZ.

If not they can add the full cost of your phone to your bill and you don't want that! Good luck, hope it gets cleared up.

Claudia Leon1

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The same situation just happened to me. They sent me a letter saying that my insurance was discontinued because they had processed the maxium amount of claims in 2 months when I haven't filed any!!! This is very disturbing and upseting. When I called Asurion all they told me was "We are sorry, do you want your insurance reinstalled back?, The letter was sent by mistake. When I called verizon they assured me that assurion had sent one phone to Florida and one to Philadelphia under my name. Asurion was not helpful at all, and they even told me why I was so upset if they hadn't charge me anything. Please be careful with this insurance company. I think I'll better save on my own in case if my phone brakes off, than be dealing with this insurance companies.