A confused Android isheep

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi Guys: Well I was losing sleep and obssessing over the arrival of the note 2 on Thursday with big red. Had my iphone 5 ready to be sold tonight via craigslist and all was well. I went to bestbuy and because I am buying at retail prices I was told I had use of any phone until Jan 24 for all holiday returns. Figured I would buy the S3 and use it until I was ready for the note2 whenever BB got it in stock. Well, activiated it last night and I am really sad.

The phone runs HOT (using flip case) battery went from 100% to 88% with 10 minutes of app use (cant be normal) and more concerning, its very sluggish. Moving screens and especially the speeds of the home screen being fully loaded (stock screen mind you) from swiping to unlock is 3-4 seconds. The apps I use the most are really slow compared to iphone too.

I could be just used to the lightning speed of the apple for all these years? OR, is this phone just not as snappy as I am expecting? Assuming the note will be better with its quad core?

I understand the learning curve for this OS is night and day compared to the simplicity of ios but I am less than 24 hours in and am bummed I activated it.

Any pointers? Just need time to get used to it??

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like you may have a bad unit.

My sgs3 only every gets warm with prolonged navigation use. The battery might just need some settle in. It is easily as snappy as the 4S that my daughter has.

I would take it back to best buy and get a different one

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
There is definitely something wrong there. The phone should not run hot, especially when it's more or less idling and it should take quite some time to get to 88%! Time to home screen on mine is instant, not counting the transition animation (fade-in). Everything happens very quickly on my phone, so it sounds like something is running on yours that should not be. Click and hold the home button and pick task manager and see what is running. There shouldn't be anything. If there is, you should be able to kill it from there. If it's something stupid, uninstall or disable it. There are quite a few programs preloaded you can disable anyway if you are not planning to use them.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
hmm thanks. I find it downright hot to hold, so maybe its because the battery is new? I am more than likely going to make a final decision on staying android with the note 2 and swap this for that.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Mine was never even warm - pretty much always room temperature, except when charging when you could feel a small temperature rise. But other than that nothing. The short battery life and high temperature tell me something is wrong. I'd take it back. The S3 is really an extraordinary phone. But the Note 2 looks sweet too :)

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
My phone gets pretty warm when I'm using it for navigation or watching Slingplayer for prolonged times, other than that I just get the occasional expected warmth associated with heavy use. If your is getting hot quickly, that's not good.

Regarding the battery life, that can be pretty normal if you just got it and have been using it non-stop setting it up and such, but otherwise that's pretty bad; although a bit expected I guess based on your comments about heat -- high heat = high processor use = high power consumption

As far device quickness, I assure you that you should be experiencing a device just as snappy as the iPhone. There are plenty of differences between the 2 phones, however both should be operating at pretty much the same speed for basic home screen operations. Unlock to homescreen should be pretty much instant.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Pete, thanks for your comments. In the last hour setting up widgets etc makes me love it!!! But, its hot while charging and not so I will bring it in, IF I decide the note 2 is too big for me. 3 hours ago I was ready to give up and go back to apple but am enjoying the customization!!

mrbowlman

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
If the phone is getting hot, and the battery is running down quickly, you should check and see what app is draining the battery. Settings > Battery. It sounds like something is running wild.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
If the phone is getting hot, and the battery is running down quickly, you should check and see what app is draining the battery. Settings > Battery. It sounds like something is running wild.

android system 50% Is this too high?
screen 20% (auto brightness on)
internet 14%

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I just switched from the 4S to the GS3 and can't believe how much faster the GS3 is than my 4S was. I can't speak much on the 5 but the GS3 blows the 4S out of the water in pretty much every way except battery life. You definitely got a bad unit. You might want to try a factory reset before returning the unit. That might help.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
android system 50% Is this too high?
screen 20% (auto brightness on)
internet 14%

Android System is always going to be high...that's just generic processes.

Here's what I would do....

Fully charge it.
Remove the battery. Wait ~5 minutes.
Re-insert battery, power on. (observe battery % remain)
Try not to use it very much for about an hour. (left preferably in a spot with wifi signal or good moble data signal)
Pick it up, do a few *light* tasks on it -- check email, facebook, etc, so the screen is awake for a few minutes, but not running any intense processes.

Is it still hot? Where's the battery sitting?

I guess what I'm trying to rule out is something many of us went through: not being able to put our phones down when we first got them and abusing the heck out em on the first day or two. If the processor gets bogged down with too many tasks at once, it's gonna get hot, consume power and start to run sluggish. This SHOULD NOT be a normal occurence, but can happen to any device if used too heavily. doing a full power cycle should ensure no rouge processes are running -- if that test passes with flying colors, then I'd just keep an eye on it and make sure the overheating behavior isn't common. If so, just go exchange it.

aimeeinohio

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I came from iPhone to the s3. My battery feels hot only if im playing with it while its charging or when using nabigation for an hr or more (iPhone got hot under the same conditions). With everything you're describing, I agree with everyone else. I think you got a lemon.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel