Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By paintdrinkingpete
  • 1 Post By paintdrinkingpete
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Lightbulb Help with App Icon Name Text going to Second Line

This is kind of hard to explain but....I just got an S3 and I had a Droid 3. With the Droid 3 if the name of an APP was too long it would just cut off like Authentic... for Authenticator. But with the S3 it keeps going and creates a second line like Authenticat
    or
    Is there anyway to change this? I think looks BAD.

I've attached a screenshot for reference.

Thanks in advance for the help guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with App Icon Name Text going to Second Line-screenshot_2012-11-28-11-50-59.png  

Default Re: Help with App Icon Name Text going to Second Line

I think it looks bad too.

I don't know of any *easy* way to fix it....but here are two suggestions you can take or leave....

1. Try Nova Launcher. Nova runs great on the S3, and has some nice added features compared to the stock TW launcher. I recommend this because I use it and love it, and it does not have the issue you noticed in the OP.

2. Folder Organizer Lite. This app allows you organize your apps and such. I honestly rarely use any of it's features so I can't speak too much about it, but it does let you create you own shortcuts to apps, so, given the expamle in your post, you could create a shortcut to "authenticator" and give it a shorter name.
    Thanked by:
    JessicaYupYup likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I was afraid of that. I was trying to NOT put a launcher on and just use TW but if there is no other option then so be it. I am really surprised and angry that there is NO WAY to change this otherwise.

Grrr.

Quote Originally Posted by JessicaYupYup View Post
    I was afraid of that. I was trying to NOT put a launcher on and just use TW but if there is no other option then so be it. I am really surprised and angry that there is NO WAY to change this otherwise.

Grrr.
    FWIW, I felt the same way -- With any 3rd party launchers I had used in the past, it seemed that any added features they could provide were negated by the performance hit and home screen lag my device would suddenly show...that, or crucial features I liked from the stock launcher would no longer be available.

I have to admit, however, that running Nova over the stock TW launcher on this phone runs GREAT. No lag, no loss of functionality, just works perfectly. As a rooted user who flashes ROMs frequently, I really like the ability to backup and restore home screen configs as well.
    Thanked by:
    JessicaYupYup likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    FWIW, I felt the same way -- With any 3rd party launchers I had used in the past, it seemed that any added features they could provide were negated by the performance hit and home screen lag my device would suddenly show...that, or crucial features I liked from the stock launcher would no longer be available.

I have to admit, however, that running Nova over the stock TW launcher on this phone runs GREAT. No lag, no loss of functionality, just works perfectly. As a rooted user who flashes ROMs frequently, I really like the ability to backup and restore home screen configs as well.
    Yeah that is where I was coming from. I installed Nova and I am going to tweak it and see whether it is worth it or not. Thanks for the help Pete and here is hoping samsung updates this in the future.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Menu/Nova Settings/Desktop/Uncheck the Label Icons box