1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Trying to decide

I'm trying to decide between this and the maxx hd. Have a couple q's. can I realistically expect a solid days worth of battery out of this phone? I see an avg of 12 hours of time and that seems kind of low to me.

How is the audio quality on the headphone jack?
    If I turn 4g off will it help battery more? Anyone done this?
    Any reason not to root and rom it? I used to have the OG droid years ago and I have that itch lol

Default Re: Trying to decide

Quote Originally Posted by electric turd View Post
    I'm trying to decide between this and the maxx hd. Have a couple q's. can I realistically expect a solid days worth of battery out of this phone? I see an avg of 12 hours of time and that seems kind of low to me.

How is the audio quality on the headphone jack?
    If I turn 4g off will it help battery more? Anyone done this?
    Any reason not to root and rom it? I used to have the OG droid years ago and I have that itch lol
    There are lots of posts on this already but I will answer to the best of my ability and with my opinion/my usage. I would consider myself a moderate to light user depending on the day (work or no work) and I will easily make it through a day without charging my phone. Most of the time I will be able to make it to midnight with about 20% battery left. On heavy use days I may reach for a charger but usually only if I'm playing games on my phone or on Facebook all day.

Sounds out of the headphone port is good. Haven't used it too much but as an audio out it works well.

Don't know how to turn off 4g within the phone. Think you need to root for this. And from my experience when using only 3g actually my phone runs through battery faster as it is looking for 4g signal.

I love this phone and still think it is the best one I have ever had. If you want battery life for sure though go for the maxx hd but the S3 is a terrific phone and you won't regret it.

I run stock but have always considered rooting. I like the way it runs with the stock rom so km pretty happy do far and may consider it later but for now happy with stock.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Android Central Forums

The other place I would check out is the Engadget review of the phones they do a very good job of hitting the major points of the phone and battery life specifically.

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drmaf894c View Post
    There are lots of posts on this already but I will answer to the best of my ability and with my opinion/my usage. I would consider myself a moderate to light user depending on the day (work or no work) and I will easily make it through a day without charging my phone. Most of the time I will be able to make it to midnight with about 20% battery left. On heavy use days I may reach for a charger but usually only if I'm playing games on my phone or on Facebook all day.

Sounds out of the headphone port is good. Haven't used it too much but as an audio out it works well.

Don't know how to turn off 4g within the phone. Think you need to root for this. And from my experience when using only 3g actually my phone runs through battery faster as it is looking for 4g signal.

I love this phone and still think it is the best one I have ever had. If you want battery life for sure though go for the maxx hd but the S3 is a terrific phone and you won't regret it.

I run stock but have always considered rooting. I like the way it runs with the stock rom so km pretty happy do far and may consider it later but for now happy with stock.

To add to that, the RZR Maxx, HD has an extended battery so I think that it's like comparing apples to oranges. Put an extended battery in the SIII and then compare. I'm getting great battery life out of my SIII. If you love the SIII but want battery life like the Maxx get an extended battery for it.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Default Trying to decide

The biggest problem with extended batteries is the bulk that it adds. Don't like that at all

I came from a Razr Maxx (not HD). Razr does make a far more compact package but putting an extended battery on the S3 gives you MORE runtime (assuming you use the Onite or similar here - not the Seidio) than you get on the Maxx. Display on the S3 is better too. I compared displays on the S3 and Maxx HD - I like the displ;ay size of the S3 and display characteristics better. But I do like the overall size of the Maxx and it is in my opinion better looking. So it's really a tossup. I will also mention that the S3 camera is better.

I guess I'd get the S3 and extended pack (that is in fact what I did)and switch to the OEM battery when smaller size matters.
    Thanked by: