And Verizon is now the last to release jelly bean.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I am in that boat. I like to root mostly so I can backup app data, but I do not like custom ROMs at all.

I have been waiting for JB to root, I know it will be released as soon as I do... so to everyone out there, I am sorry for making all of you wait JB.

*IF* you're planning on rooting anyway, you're best bet is to DO IT NOW! The official JB update may very well lock down the known exploits being used to gain root and unlock bootloader, so it's highly possible you won't be able to root after the update.

IMO, waiting for an update prior to rooting is counter-productive. Seize the day! Root now, root early, root often! Don't let VZW dictate your update schedule! Once you root, you can always install any new updates manually, as its usually pretty easy to find a stock rooted version of any update released...especially for a phone this popular.

Again, *IF* you're planning on rooting anyway, it would be better to root now, and manually install a rooted version of the update once it's released. As a bonus, you could go ahead and install CleanROM or one of the other many JB flavors already floating around out there to get a taste of what's coming. I know some folks are weary of "beta" or "leaked" releases, but I assure you that CR is about as stable as they come. (I can't testify to any others as I haven't tried any other builds based on the newest leak...haven't had a reason to).

Clean ROM, while it may be a custom ROM, can be configured to be pretty much stock, but with nice little extras. Of course, if you really don't want custom at all, you can just install the stock version of the latest JB leak: [11/20] ROM - Stock Rooted - I535VZWBLK1 - Jellybean Leak #3! - Ready!!! - xda-developers

mrbowlman

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I am in that boat. I like to root mostly so I can backup app data, but I do not like custom ROMs at all.

I have been waiting for JB to root, I know it will be released as soon as I do... so to everyone out there, I am sorry for making all of you wait JB.

Keep in mind that if you take the JB update on a unrooted/locked phone, you may not be able to root after. They will probably fix the holes that allowed root. You may still be able to use Odin to flash back to a rootable ICS release, but you'll be forced to use a 3rd party ROM to get JB.

So, if your plan is to root your phone, you may not want to wait for JB. I would suggest something like CleanROM. It's mostly stock, but you can control what bloat gets installed.

*edit - department of redundancy department.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
There was a thread exactly like this for ICS on the Verizon Razr. Seems rather pointless to me.

Pointless perhaps, but what amazes me is that folks are still surprised that Verizon is last to the table with an update. Everyone should have known back in July that whenever it was that JB was released for the Verizon S3, it would come after pretty much every other carrier had pushed it out.

I'm not necessarily bashing Verizon for this, as frustrating as it may be -- because you can argue that the more users and devices you have on a network, the more stringent your R&D process must be for software updates, as well as the time to train support staff. None the less, there's no reason to act shocked when it happens...again and again. To quote one of my favorite movies, "They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into...I say, let em crash!"

Personally, it doesn't bother me one bit as long as I can root and update as I want.

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Good point. I didn't wait with my Bionic, and to be honest, I always accepted the OTAs while rooted and never had a problem and never lost root. I have only rooted Moto devices, so I do not know what to expect on the S3. I just hate the idea of making a mistake and losing my data or bricking it.

I may give it a shot later tonight.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Good point. I didn't wait with my Bionic, and to be honest, I always accepted the OTAs while rooted and never had a problem and never lost root. I have only rooted Moto devices, so I do not know what to expect on the S3. I just hate the idea of making a mistake and losing my data or bricking it.

I may give it a shot later tonight.

Well, whatever you decide to do, I highly advise AGAINST installing an OTA on a rooted device.... Installing a ROM may seem daunting at first, but it really is a fairly simple task once you've got the procedure down.

Anything that's of real importance to me (emails and contact info) are stored with Google anyway, so I awhile ago I just adopted a cavalier attitude towards the possibility of having to wipe my device...but that's certainly not to say I don't back my stuff before I flash any ROMs!

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Verizon said their version of GS3 isn't getting JB. They said the difference between JB and ICS isn't enough to justify the manhours in adapting it to the phone.

I heard it from the cat next next door. Damn cat was lying, but figured I'd torment the few who are dying to get something that won't really make much of a difference on their phone.

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I always checked the forums and everyone said they were fine accepting the ota while rooted.

I am going to do it now. I still have titanium to back everything up between rooting and loading the new rom so I shouldn't lose anything. Actually, I still have some data I never restored from my bionic since I never rooted my s3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Verizon said their version of GS3 isn't getting JB. They said the difference between JB and ICS isn't enough to justify the manhours in adapting it to the phone.

I heard it from the cat next next door. Damn cat was lying, but figured I'd torment the few who are dying to get something that won't really make much of a difference on their phone.

Truth is, there really isn't that much of a difference at all. Google Now is pretty neat, even useful at times...but it's more or less a novelty and pretty much the only major change I even notice, outside of minor things here and there.

HaVoK_C89

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Does "Project Butter" make a big difference on the S3 or is it like a gimmick?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

pank

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Does "Project Butter" make a big difference on the S3 or is it like a gimmick?

I don't think it's a gimmick at all. But, until (we) on Verizon get it I'm not sure we'll see a huge difference since the S3 is incredibly fast on ICS.

rodericg

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I just installed it via Kies on my S3. No issues with install and it is smooth as.... You guessed it butter.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Android Central Forums

HaVoK_C89

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
This Def makes me wanna root. I haven't ed rooted a phone tho since my Droid Incredible lol.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I for one can't wait to get back to were I already was. After switching from Sprint S3 with JB for several months this is like giving a kid candy and then taking it away after only one bite!

Come on VW please don't force me to take my hole company to AT&T!

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry, Sprint may have released theirs a while ago, but no one on their network has finished downloading it yet. :D We'll still beat them to the install.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure VZW is working 24/7 on the update. They need to make sure all of their bloatware works just as it should. :p

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.

NCchrisSU

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
I know this is probably a very stupid question, so please be easy on me, but does someone know where I can find very simple step-by-step instructions in lamens terms to root/unlock the bootloader and install things such as this Clean ROM on my Verizon Galaxy S3? I would love to root, but I also can't afford to brick the phone so I want to make sure that I am doing everything exactly right.

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I know this is probably a very stupid question, so please be easy on me, but does someone know where I can find very simple step-by-step instructions in lamens terms to root/unlock the bootloader and install things such as this Clean ROM on my Verizon Galaxy S3? I would love to root, but I also can't afford to brick the phone so I want to make sure that I am doing everything exactly right.
Here you go: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ck-bootloader-verizon-galaxy-s3-sch-i535.html