Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By broadwayblues
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why have third party mobile hotspot widgets suddenly stopped working, but FoxFi continues to works?

I have a Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S3 with unlimited data plan.

To get "free" mobile hotspot, I've always used third-party widgets. However, it suddenly stopped working a few days ago. From my computers(Mac and Asus tablet), I can still see the hotspot network name from the Galaxy S3. I can connect to it, but there is no access to the internet. Tried several other highly-rated third-party hotspot toggle widgets and got the same thing.... (again, the computers can connect to the wi-fi network on the phone) It just seems odd that all third-party hotspot widgets stopped working at the same time.

After a bit of searching on this forum, I looked up FoxFi and installed it. It works fine and my computers can access the internet again.

FoxFi has its own configuration menus. The third-party widgets just brings up the SIII's default mobile hotspot menu.

Does anyone know why all the other third-party hotspot toggle widgets stopped working, but FoxFi continued to work? Thanks for your help!
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Why have third party mobile hotspot widgets suddenly stopped working, but FoxFi continues to wor

foxfi supposedly went to a pay model so do not upgrade it. I don't know what isn't working for you, but mine is still working fine. I just do not use it because I am not on 4G. I am using wifi tether-treve mod

Default Re: Why have third party mobile hotspot widgets suddenly stopped working, but FoxFi continues to wor

Foxfi shuts off in 15 minutes making you have to restart it in the free version. We have several unlimited lines so it was worth the 7 bucks. Foxfi also works with jellybean Note II. Biggest complaint was that foxfi doesn't work with jb but it does.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by leroybrute View Post
    Foxfi shuts off in 15 minutes making you have to restart it in the free version. We have several unlimited lines so it was worth the 7 bucks. Foxfi also works with jellybean Note II. Biggest complaint was that foxfi doesn't work with jb but it does.
    I don't mind paying $7 for FoxFi, but Verizon will most likely release Jelly Bean for S3 in 5 to 6 months... FoxFi doesn't work with Jelly Bean on the S3, right?

Also, I would like to find out if there's a problem with my phone(software or hardware) that caused the free hotspot tethering apps to stop working all of a sudden.
    (except FoxFi, of course)

Oh wait a minute... any chance that it was Verizon who caught on and cut me off?

Global Posts
    119 Global Posts

FoxFi no longer works on Razr M after JB update. Is it working on other phones after JB update? I gives a notice that it has not been updated to work with JB when you try to start it.

The other day my old Free FoxFi version (the one without the 15 minuter timer) kept displaying a message that I had to upgrade when I tried to start it. The message would not allow me to start Foxfi. For the last few weeks I have been avoiding updating my old free FoxFi version to the new free version with the 15 minute timer. Not sure what changed that prompted my old free version to start doing this. I downloaded and installed the Widgetsoid widget which turns on the hotspot ok. I have noticed that when this widget turns on the hotspot, internet access periodically slows down or stops running. Once JB comes out and I am satisfied that Foxfi will work with it, I have no problem buying the paid version.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

okay... something fishy is going on here... now FoxFi also has stopped working on my phone.
    Fattin, SVTP, and now FoxFi... nothing works... what's going on here?

I've tried other hotspot tethering apps from the Google Play today. None of them worked.
    (or more precisely, my computers can see the wifi hotspot, connect to it, but get no connection
    to the internet)

I can only conclude that Verizon is blocking me? But I thought they weren't allowed to do this anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by BuyOneGetFour View Post
    I don't mind paying $7 for FoxFi, but Verizon will most likely release Jelly Bean for S3 in 5 to 6 months... FoxFi doesn't work with Jelly Bean on the S3, right?

Also, I would like to find out if there's a problem with my phone(software or hardware) that caused the free hotspot tethering apps to stop working all of a sudden.
    (except FoxFi, of course)

Oh wait a minute... any chance that it was Verizon who caught on and cut me off?
    That is strange. My sons and my GS3 has JB and foxfi works on it. And so does both of our GN2's with JB. Our GS3's are rooted with JB Roms but shouldn't make a difference. Foxfi does work with JB or at least the paid version does.
    I also don't believe Verizon is messing with you.
    Go into recovery and do a partition cache wipe and see if that helps.
    BEACH BUM

ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

Well, after reading this I tried my Foxfi and sure enough it no longer works (Old version 1.91.2).

Default Re: Why have third party mobile hotspot widgets suddenly stopped working

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Babalu View Post
    Well, after reading this I tried my Foxfi and sure enough it no longer works (Old version 1.91.2).
    Same. Said that the free version's no longer supported!
    BEACH BUM

ROM

Default Re: Why have third party mobile hotspot widgets suddenly stopped working

So I was about to uninstall FoxFi ( version 1.91) and decided to instead "Clear Data". I then rebooted, tried to start again but got the "no internet" screen. I then noticed that at the very bottom under "Hash Code" the field was empty ( before there were #'s) I then inputted 1234 hit enter and it generated a new "Hash Code". I then tried again and Viola it is working again. I have had it on for 20 minutes so far.
    Thanked by 2:

Looks like I am not the only person with this problem.
    I sure hope that the developer did not put expiration code (ie a time bomb) in his free app to do this. If he did, then that says a lot about the developer and what he will do for $$$$$.
    Thanked by:
    BEACH BUM

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by charlier180 View Post
    Looks like I am not the only person with this problem.
    I sure hope that the developer did not put expiration code (ie a time bomb) in his free app to do this. If he did, then that says a lot about the developer and what he will do for $$$$$.
    Did you see my post above?

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Default Relax

No they re not blocking you. It's a known issue with the Hotspot on the phone. There is an IP conflict with the phone and it's connected devices after it disconnects and reconnects. I'm still not sure if this conflict is there for people who pay for the tethering fee on unlimited data. If you look at your phone when using the Hotspot it will drop off all data connections because of this.

Just restart everything, phone and computer and try again.

It's my speculation that only connecting with one device it doesn't have this ip conflict.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

Global Posts
    510 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted, Unlocked

Default Why have third party mobile hotspot widgets suddenly stopped working, but FoxFi continues to works?

Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post
    No they re not blocking you. It's a known issue with the Hotspot on the phone. There is an IP conflict with the phone and it's connected devices after it disconnects and reconnects. I'm still not sure if this conflict is there for people who pay for the tethering fee on unlimited data. If you look at your phone when using the Hotspot it will drop off all data connections because of this.

Just restart everything, phone and computer and try again.

It's my speculation that only connecting with one device it doesn't have this ip conflict.

I pay for the tethering feature and use the official app. I notice that my phone will often lose 4G for a second and then it reappears. The connection drops just long enough to drop my secure connection to online classes.

Do you think this ip conflict can cause the data connection to reset itself? This ONLY happens when I tether, otherwise I have a solid lte connection that never drops.

I've also read that the app itself is to blame.

All I know is I pay for tethering and the solution that Verizon has isn't working.

It also does this if I restrict my hotspot to one device.

pauliesgalaxys likes this.

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Interesting. Youre the first to reply that ive heard who pays for tethering and has the same issue. Im no programmer or networking dude but if I had to guess I would say it may be an issue on verizons end. I have noticed it works fine with one device then you connect 2 and it gets wonky. If you pay for verizon and feel like putting effort into it you should contact Verizon. Those few of use still on unlimited data still matter too! Lol

The only real solution I know is to restart everything then reconnect or rename your network name to something new. I now have the note 2 and the same widget trick works that it did on the s3.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

I have a new Droid Razr HD. FoxFi worked great with ICS so I upgraded to the paid version and got along great until Jelly Bean. Now it looks for my subscription plan with Verizon, instructs me to buy the Verizon monthly plan. FoxFi indicates that it is connected, I just can't get to the internet. Verizon has shut me down unless I buy their hot spot!

i use a t999 gs3 on the unlimited 4g plan and ran into same problem. On tmobiles ICS version 4.04 the only third party app that worked and did quite wek was SVTP WIFI. After JB update all were blocked even the wifi tether for root user app. after trying everything from rare high tech ROMS to every app in store i found only one thing that works is a modified version of wifi tether for root 3.2beta TrevE mod. Modv5 for us tmobile unlimited. You have to allow non market apps in phone settings and google search for the modified .apk file download but well worth it as its a really well done and comes with nice widget. dro anybody on JB modified ROM or stock it was a life saver. And shoutout to triangle away. now allshare cast and samsung media hub work perfect fven though im rooted. that and mobile Odin saved me and my root access since it injects root into any ROM or other being flashed. PS i did notice on the new xquisit ROM the TrevE modv5 wifi tether app came pre installed.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...y.wifi.hotspot

Works instantly and well

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Thats awesome Mr Leroy.. the only thing keeping me from getting a Note2...now is eliminated.