Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By wolverine2003
  • 1 Post By strtgng
  • 1 Post By DroidXcon
  • 1 Post By DarkSorrow
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I hate bubbles in SMS - are there any SMS apps that AREN'T for teen girls?

My favorite text system of all time was the VERY clean and VERY simple software used by Blackberry. Alternate colored bars. No space wasting bubbles. No cutsie graphics. Text, period. it just worked, every time. It did SMS, MMS, group messaging, and let you sort, filter by sender and search. Everything you need, nothing you don't. I have looked at 5 SMS apps;

GO
    Chomp
    Handcent
    Verizon
    Pansi

None of them are just good, plain SMS apps. Is there ANYTHING even remotely close to that available? I would *very* gladly pay for this app. Or do I have to wait for BB10 and dump Android? I am very anxious to see what RIM comes out with in January

Default Re: I hate bubbles in SMS - are there any SMS apps that AREN'T for teen girls?

Go SMS I think is the best. You can customize to have boxes, bubbles, how ever you would like. There are a ton of different themes that you can use as well. Here are 2 that I use. Both box like and not so "girly" bubble style.

sent from CletuS the almighty S3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I hate bubbles in SMS - are there any SMS apps that AREN'T for teen girls?-uploadfromtaptalk1354797558068.jpg   I hate bubbles in SMS - are there any SMS apps that AREN'T for teen girls?-uploadfromtaptalk1354797569968.jpg  

Default Re: I hate bubbles in SMS - are there any SMS apps that AREN'T for teen girls?

In Handcent, you can change the conversation style to Android and it will remove the bubbles.
    Kage87Z likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine2003 View Post
    In Handcent, you can change the conversation style to Android and it will remove the bubbles.
    this.

2nd this.
    Kage87Z likes this.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

3rd this

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Kage87Z likes this.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    My favorite text system of all time was the VERY clean and VERY simple software used by Blackberry. Alternate colored bars. No space wasting bubbles. No cutsie graphics. Text, period. it just worked, every time. It did SMS, MMS, group messaging, and let you sort, filter by sender and search. Everything you need, nothing you don't. I have looked at 5 SMS apps;

GO
    Chomp
    Handcent
    Verizon
    Pansi

None of them are just good, plain SMS apps. Is there ANYTHING even remotely close to that available? I would *very* gladly pay for this app. Or do I have to wait for BB10 and dump Android? I am very anxious to see what RIM comes out with in January
    Can you find a picture of what it looked like that way we can find sometging similar.

If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    Can you find a picture of what it looked like that way we can find sometging similar.

This is it. Note that this is off a sim, not a real device.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I hate bubbles in SMS - are there any SMS apps that AREN'T for teen girls?-blackberrystorm2sms.jpg  

Yeah, I just switched to the SG3 and Im not impressed with the messaging app. I have GO SMS and its ok.

This is sorta related, but does anyone know how to show the names of the sender in group messages for the regular messaging app? If Im in a group chat, I get the messages, but it doesnt show me the sender.
    Geek Mom

Quote Originally Posted by LdotAdot13 View Post
    Go SMS I think is the best. You can customize to have boxes, bubbles, how ever you would like. There are a ton of different themes that you can use as well. Here are 2 that I use. Both box like and not so "girly" bubble style.

sent from CletuS the almighty S3
    I love that second theme! What is it called?

Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    ROM
    Rooted Stock

So in other words you want the stock sms app....
    My history: Ericsson 628, 768, T10, T28 World, Siemens S12, Nokia 8290, 3390, Motorola C330 , V70, Ericsson T68i, Motorola v100, Accompli 009, Sony Ericsson P800, T300, T610, O2 XDA II, BlackBerry 6210, Sanyo SCP5300, SCP8100, VM4500, PM8200, MM7400, MM8300, MM9000, BlackBerry 7750, Kyocera KX18, MM-A900, SCP8400, Pearl 8130, Tour 9630, Torch 9850, Samsung Epic 4G, HTC Design 4G, Nook Tablet, S3, S5, Samsung Nook, Note 4. CO's: Omnipoint, Voicestream, T-Mobile, (Amp'd for short time) Sprint, Verizon
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

No. It uses bubbles.

So far Pansi seems to be the best one for me. It's clean and fast. But delivery notification does not work. And you get two incoming text notifications.

I'm really hoping for great things from RIM. BB10 looks awesome. But they will probably screw up text with bubbles too.

No. It uses bubbles.<br />
    <br />
    So far Pansi seems to be the best one for me.
    you didnt want it to look girly... So you choose Pansi hahah the irony

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by hossman12 View Post
    you didnt want it to look girly... So you choose Pansi hahah the irony

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3
    Yea yea yea Hey, I didn't name it!

Global Posts
    1,484 Global Posts

So I was happily chugging along with the Verizon app - bubbles and all. Hadn't crossed my mind until this thread that somehow bubbles in my SMS app might be a problem

The main reason I switched from the stock SMS app to the Verizon one is due to the lack of group messaging support. Looks like the Note 2 stock SMS app does have native group messaging capability. If it also has an option to remove bubbles then that may be an option once the S3 gets Jelly Bean.
    Galaxy Note 2 Messaging App

I like Handcent. Go SMS makes you pay just to show Facebook profile pictures in your SMS's.
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooted
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Rooted

4G LTE
    Kage87Z likes this.

I have used GO Chat and Sliding Messaging Pro.
    Like you, I made mine very clean.

Sliding Messaging Pro

GO Chat

Use handcent. You can customize it anyway to your liking and definitely don't have to use lame *** bubbles.

Posted via Android Central App

I just got my Galaxy Express. Upgraded from an ZTE Avail. Right away I noticed the Samsung Bubbles when texting (the Avail didn't have it). I also hate it and was bummed Samsung didn't let you get rid of them. Samsung must really like their bubbles. After searching and reading here, I downloaded Handcent. Fixed me up real nice. Lots and lots of customization options and lots of skins to download. No more freaking bubbles!