Would you Buy The S3 Again Now?

Matt Moore

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a working but somewhat problematic HTC Thunderbolt. I would get the HTC DNA but the lack of additional storage eliminates it for me. The Note 2 is compelling but too big for me.

If you had a upgrade available, a working phone, would you buy the S3 now or wait knowing that it might be Feb, March, April before the S4 or another device that is considered cutting edge?

Thanks
Matt

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I had an HTC Thunderbolt and moved to the 32gb S3. I would do it again without a second thought.

I used to seriously dislike Samsung because of issues I had with past Samsung devices. I didn't really hate my Thunderbolt, but it had issues. I was reluctance to switch to Samsung, but HTC didn't really have anything on Verizon worth considering. But my S3 has had few things to complain about. It generally just works well. Sort of boring in fact because I haven't wanted to experiment with alternate roms, because the stock rom works so well.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I had an HTC Thunderbolt and moved to the 32gb S3. I would do it again without a second thought.

I used to seriously dislike Samsung because of issues I had with past Samsung devices. I didn't really hate my Thunderbolt, but it had issues. I was reluctance to switch to Samsung, but HTC didn't really have anything on Verizon worth considering. But my S3 has had few things to complain about. It generally just works well. Sort of boring in fact because I haven't wanted to experiment with alternate roms, because the stock rom works so well.

Ditto

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and my girlfriend sleeps on the couch.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I'd buy it again. If not this, then the Note 2. Personally, I got sick of Sense on the HTC's, and it seems to take up a lot more resources than TW. Of course, 2GB of RAM makes a world of difference. Either way, I use Nova Launcher, so I don't see TW.

Sting32

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
(yes but still has to be under $150)

I came from the droid3, I liked the keyboard but seldom needed it... I like 2 main things, although money was a factor I wanted the NOTE 2 instead, but dont have the $$$...
I like removable easily changed battery. I camp and can have a battery charged and in my bag when I am not close to any electricity... Plus, I live in out-lying area, weak signals cause phone to go dead sooner than for some. This has the same reception for me on VZW as my droid if that matter.

I got the 16g version black friday at samsclub, for really cheap (97 CENTS). then added already owned 16gig card, and I am happy as heck!

But, VZW holding out on updates, ticks me off to almost never buying anything again...

Wnrgway

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
While I might consider the Droid DNA if I was in the market now, I'd have concerns over its battery life. I haven't read how it stacks up to the GS3, but I'd have to imagine that it wouldn't last as long. It's also larger than the S3 and the Samsung phone was about as big as I wanted to go.

So, yes I think I would probably get the S3 again. I don't see any other available phone being a big leap from its capabilities in the near future.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I have a working but somewhat problematic HTC Thunderbolt. I would get the HTC DNA but the lack of additional storage eliminates it for me. The Note 2 is compelling but too big for me.

If you had a upgrade available, a working phone, would you buy the S3 now or wait knowing that it might be Feb, March, April before the S4 or another device that is considered cutting edge?

Thanks
Matt

If had to get a Verizon phone right now, I'd definitely get the S3. For everything that looks great about the DNA, there are too many things I don't like (non-removable battery, storage), to put it ahead of the S3. I'd consider the Note 2 for sure, but in the end, that really is too big for what I'd want to carry around all the time.

I'd buy it again. If not this, then the Note 2. Personally, I got sick of Sense on the HTC's, and it seems to take up a lot more resources than TW. Of course, 2GB of RAM makes a world of difference. Either way, I use Nova Launcher, so I don't see TW.

I really can't add anything to these comments -- they both sum up pretty much how I feel about it as well.

Not too long ago, I wouldn't have believed I would choosing a Samsung TW device over an HTC Sense device...but here we are.

Matt Moore

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses, I would go for the DNA but with what I store on my HTC TB, I would be left with only 3 or 4 GB. Not enough to last another 1.5-2 years.

mesocyclonic

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I'd get it again in a heartbeat. The S3 is such a great phone. Only thing is that if I were getting it now, I'd be sure to find a good deal since it's been out for almost 6 months, which is an eternity in smartphone time.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I wanted the s3 when it released but money was tight and I wasn't eligible for an upgrade well yesterday I went with my wife to best buy and asked the store clerk what did he recommended and all the workers said the s3 and I was shocked because android phones usually go out of style fast and now 5 months later its still the Phone to get Samsung did a good job on this phone I ended up with the note 2 but the s3 is still the android king

jmalucci

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I had a bolt up till about a week ago. Don't get me wrong I liked my bolt, what I did not like was all the lies from HTC/Big Red but I digress. I love my s3 one of the best phones I have had so far.

rvhighway

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
If I were doing it today, I would give great consideration to the Note2. However, you said that model was not in the running. In that case, I can think of nothing other than the S3.

I also had the T'Bolt for a little over a year, but I switched to the S3 shortly after it came out. Would I do it again? The answer is, Yes . . . without question. It's good in stock form and is even better unlocked, rooted and running a ROM (Synergy Jelly Bean).

One thing you'll notice over the T'Bolt is the battery life improvement. It's becomes an even greater difference when running a ROM. It's like night and day with the S3.

You'll also like the improved performance. I didn't happen to find the T'Bolt too bad, but now that I've been on the S3 running JB, the smoothness and responsiveness is without compare. You'll like the change.

One thing you won't like is the bloatware. Of course, you have that with the T'Bolt. However, there's some Samsung junk that's just as annoying - especially that useless S-Voice. If you ROM it, you can get rid of the junk you don't want and install Google Now to replace S-Voice. It's been ported over to ICS and it obviously runs on the JB ROMs. It's far superior to S-Voice and you should find it useful.

Last edited:

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site

Thanks
Matt

I'd get the note 2 but since you said it's too big, the. Gs3

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo