Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mothy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Thumbs down Found what I like least about my S3

It has been shouted around this forum but I'll say it again, SD card issues! I went with the S3 because it had SD card support. I went with a 32GB class 10 Sandisk card. It worked well for a few months and I was syncing podcasts to the card without issue. In the last two days it has repeatedly unmounted on its own. I removed the card and tried to format the card and it won't format. Reading around the forum this is not a new problem with the S3. I will be going back to Verizon to see what they can offer for a solution since I'm tied to this for two years. I love the phone in general but this problem is quite frustrating.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Found what I like least about my S3

Very weird, I havent seen the issue with either S3 I had. have you tried to both format it in the phone and with a computer?

I've had an SD card in my S3 since the day I got the phone and haven't had any issues. I got my phone just prior to the release day on Verizon since I pre-ordered.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

The SD Card is hosed...common problem...Not the fault of the phone. they don't like being written to, rewritten, deleted, rewritten, etc. I only buy the 16GB ones now. Cheaper, and easier to tolerate losing.

I used to have the Samsung Intercept and that happened all the time on that phone. I absolutely hated that phone.. But that has never happened to me on my gs3.

Sent from my Galaxy s3 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by HalizDad View Post
    The SD Card is hosed...common problem...Not the fault of the phone. they don't like being written to, rewritten, deleted, rewritten, etc. I only buy the 16GB ones now. Cheaper, and easier to tolerate losing.
    This is not an answer based on any technical knowledge, but from my experience, as you fit more data onto smaller packages, reliability goes down. I've been using a 32GB card that I've had since my Thunderbolt, and I've had zero issues, but I agree frequent re-writes/deletes/etc can definitely have a degrading effect on these small flash drives.

Very possible the OP has a unit with bad contacts, or something like that, but I'd bet it's the card and not the phone.

Global Posts
    1,274 Global Posts

If your running a custom ROM that could cause issues as well. I remember on my Fascinate there was a newer modem that people were using but it ate up sd cards.
    bigjobber69 likes this.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    If your running a custom ROM that could cause issues as well. I remember on my Fascinate there was a newer modem that people were using but it ate up sd cards.
    My first of 2 Evo4G's ate the SD Card while running a custom ROM and along with the card, ate the phone. Took me forever to straighten that mess out.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Eats the cards? I still have in pretty common use the 16gb card that came with my Fascinate....

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Eats the cards? I still have in pretty common use the 16gb card that came with my Fascinate....

*Not all users will have the same experiences on every phone, and not all ROMs flash the same way and work the same way for all users. IOW, just because yours works, doesn't mean they will all work for everybody the same. Eventually, you'll get a crap phone. It happened to me with the GNex. Karma shined down upon me with my S3 though.
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Another thing I wonder about, but that hasn't been dissected and discussed much is the speed of the cards. A Class 10 on an Evo4G wasn't needed as the phone couldn't read or write fast enough to use it, but I have a Class 10 in my S3 and everything is instantaneous. I wonder if running a slower card in the S3 would make the card susceptible to burning up (for lack of a better term other than crapping out) quicker?
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Oh I understand that milage may vary and I have been on the upside through all my phones.

I believe that I read in another thread that the sgs3 still does not write fast enough for a class ten card. I think the write speed is equal to a six, but don't quote me on that

I recall my 4gb got eaten in the fassy when this happened. It wasnt a modem problem it was a cm7 issue I recall......
    Hit The "Thanks" button If I have helped you! It makes me
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Oh I understand that milage may vary and I have been on the upside through all my phones.

I believe that I read in another thread that the sgs3 still does not write fast enough for a class ten card. I think the write speed is equal to a six, but don't quote me on that

Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Not sure of your point and tldr

Quote Originally Posted by smrathburn View Post
    It has been shouted around this forum but I'll say it again, SD card issues! I went with the S3 because it had SD card support. I went with a 32GB class 10 Sandisk card. It worked well for a few months and I was syncing podcasts to the card without issue. In the last two days it has repeatedly unmounted on its own. I removed the card and tried to format the card and it won't format. Reading around the forum this is not a new problem with the S3. I will be going back to Verizon to see what they can offer for a solution since I'm tied to this for two years. I love the phone in general but this problem is quite frustrating.
    Get a MicroSDHC card, not a MicroSD...the "HC" ones work much better
    I have not had any problems with my SD Card since I got my phone, its been in there since I got it lol
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Not sure of your point and tldr

The S3 writes at almost Class 10 speeds...Reads even faster. It wasn't a long post (tldr), but, whatever.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Read isn't the issue, it is write. And with everything else, ymmv. The tldr we the forum you sent me to

BEACH BUM

Global Posts
    1,947 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

I'll throw my .02 in as well. I have had the Sandisk 64GB SDXC Ultra class 6 since day one and have not had any issues.

I've never once had any issue with my SD card, but I've had my 32gb card since I got a Droid X. I'd argue the issue is with the card manufacturers and not the device.

Galaxy S3
    My Podcast-
    My Blog-