Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Deleting Hotmail/Live Mail msg on computer does NOT delete on phone

Just got my S3 and learning to use. I noticed that when I delete an e-mail in live mail on my computer it will NOT delete on the phone when syncd. Sort of "once on the phone stays on the phone until I manually delete. If I delete on the phone it DOES delete off the server and hence off my computer which is exactly what I want. With this issue I am FORCED to not only delete of the computer but manually go into the phone and delete all the same e-mails. Seems when the server re-sysc's with the phone the deleted server messages are not deleted on the phone. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts

Default Re: Deleting Hotmail/Live Mail msg on computer does NOT delete on phone

I am almost positive Hotmail uses POP when using the default mail client to pull in email. This means if you delete it on the Server it will not remove it from the Phone and if you delete it from the Phone it will not remove it from the Server. It isn't an issue with syncing and is something you will have to live with unfortunately. The only mail options that I am aware of that offer true "syncing" like you are looking for are Gmail (when using the Gmail app) and Exchange accounts. Have you tried using the Outlook.com app in the Play Store for your Hotmail account instead of default mail client?

Default Re: Deleting Hotmail/Live Mail msg on computer does NOT delete on phone

To the best of my knowlege, Hotmail (Live mail, Outlook Live, etc) still does not support IMAP, only POP3. What this means is that when your phone checks for messages, it does a 1-time download of the messages off of the server. Most POP3 clients actually have the ability to delete messages from the server when you delete the messages on your device, however the reverse is not true. When you fire up your email client on your phone, it's only going to look for NEW messages -- it will not check the status of messages already downloaded.

This is more a limitation of the protocol than it is the device (although I'd also blame Microsoft for not offering IMAP support). You could try using the hotmail app vs. using POP3 to access hotmail with the builtin email app for a true sync. One downside to this, obviously, is that you would not have offline copies of your messages.