Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SterlingSpring
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unlocked Features

When unlocked, does this phone work on AT&T's 3G (HSPA+) or the international HSPA+ bands? And does this phone only have LTE band 13 and Verizon's EVDO?

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Default Re: Unlocked Features

Ive read around and Ive gathered this answer:

Verizon will release the global phone capability in the next update, which is Jelly Bean 4.1.1. With that update, you will be able to pop in sim cards from other GSM networks and use your phone internationally BUT to keep you from getting a taste for domestic GSM networks, they have somehow locked the phone from using american GSM carriers ATT and T-Mobile on the modem-level of the phone prob to avoid competition. Hope this answers your question!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Oh, and it does work on most international HSPA+ networks. The verizon sg3 has the 850 and 1900 radio bands

4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by nyry View Post
    Oh, and it does work on most international HSPA+ networks. The verizon sg3 has the 850 and 1900 radio bands

Thank you!!
    nyry likes this.

Ive read around and Ive gathered this answer:

Verizon will release the global phone capability in the next update, which is Jelly Bean 4.1.1. With that update, you will be able to pop in sim cards from other GSM networks and use your phone internationally BUT to keep you from getting a taste for domestic GSM networks, they have somehow locked the phone from using american GSM carriers ATT and T-Mobile on the modem-level of the phone prob to avoid competition. Hope this answers your question!

what if all I want is to be able to make voice calls on AT&T or T-Mobile GSM networks inside the US? (using prepaid SIM cards) As much as I love Verizon, there
    are several places that I visit daily that do NOT have any Verizon signal.(not even enough for voice calls)

hold on.. I'm confused... is the GSM capability being unlocked in tomorrow's Jelly Bean update? Or is it coming later?

Thanks!

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Quote Originally Posted by BuyOneGetFour View Post
    what if all I want is to be able to make voice calls on AT&T or T-Mobile GSM networks inside the US? (using prepaid SIM cards) As much as I love Verizon, there
    are several places that I visit daily that do NOT have any Verizon signal.(not even enough for voice calls)

hold on.. I'm confused... is the GSM capability being unlocked in tomorrow's Jelly Bean update? Or is it coming later?

Thanks!
    You wont be able to use ATT or T-Mobile without heavy modification and tweaking...people had some luck on XDA with using an ATT rom on a verizon sg3 to be able to use an ATT SIM but I wouldnt recommend doing that as you would run a high risk of bricking your device.

The good news though is that the GSM capability WILL be coming in the JB update tomorrow for non-domestic GSM carriers

You wont be able to use ATT or T-Mobile without heavy modification and tweaking...people had some luck on XDA with using an ATT rom on a verizon sg3 to be able to use an ATT SIM but I wouldnt recommend doing that as you would run a high risk of bricking your device.

The good news though is that the GSM capability WILL be coming in the JB update tomorrow for non-domestic GSM carriers

If that's the case, I wonder why Verizon allows me to use anybody's SIM card(including T-Mobile USA) in my spare phone, the unrooted, completely stock HTC Rezound. (perhaps it's because the Rezound is basically an orphan in Verizon's eyes? )