Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Default Re: Verizon Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean update questions

Quote Originally Posted by HalizDad View Post
    And those who flashed the leaked GB update on the T-Bolts didn't have a problem either. It was the "official" OTA that screwed the T-Bolts...just like Sprint with a lot of the S2's (I was a victim of that one) But, for the millionth time, not everyone will experience the same results. Some people will be happy, some people will be mad. No 2 phones are identical. That's why custom ROMs work differently for everyone. My phone is PERFECT right now and everything works including the cut and paste, I get no "no sim" warnings, no "sd card unmounted" no frozen screens, have perfect reception, etc. Why on earth would I want to take a chance screwing that up? Sometimes it's the apps, and sometimes it's the carrier update. When I do decide to take it, I will do a factory reset first, pull the battery, and reboot. I've been rotting and ROMing phones since the Hero came out (aka Verizon Eris) and not just my phones. I know a little. The S3 is the first phone I've had for stock more than a day. I'm pleased with it, so I'm not changing it. I couldn't care less about Google Now, or JB because of TW. If I was running AOSP, yes, I'd want JB. I'm sure that I'll root my S3 in another 6 months or so, and start messing with ROMs...I'll just make sure I have a Note 2 sitting on my nightstand as my primary device when I do it. Right now, I only have my S3 and it's the first time I've only had one phone.
    Yup -- I was one of those people as well. It just goes to show it wasn't the update itself, it was installing it OTA that mucking stuff up. And, yes, you're right, even if you follow all recommended steps to the letter, some phones will just get screwed up.

I'm a lot like you...I will never update just for the sake of updating if I'm happy with way things are. Perhaps I'm a bit more of a "hobbyist" and enjoy flashing ROMs more, but once I find a build I'm happy with, I tend to keep it for a while. When I had my Thunderbolt, I actually built my own ROM that I ran for about 9 months, even though newer ones kept coming out.

If you do it that way, the odds are in your favor that it will turn out good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog5000 View Post
    Cool, thanks for confirming. Since I'm running VRLHE, the OTA Blocker does not support this build. Nice intent and app, though, and I have it just in case the developers update it to support VRLHE in the future. I'm trying the Superuser "ota survival" mode right now.
    If I get more free time (I'm supposed to be doing a bunch of house projects right now), I will investigate the manual file editing options that I ran across recently.
    Doing it manually is pretty easy, really, and only takes a few seconds when you're able to get around to it. You just have to use Root Explorer, go to the directory, and make sure it's in "R/W" mode (you'll see a "mount as r/w" button at the top), and then long-press the files to rename.
    [How To][ROOT] Block Verizon OTAs (post bootloader/ROM flash)
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    959 Global Posts

That's one of the weird things about different phones...It loaded right up on mine, and I'm running LHE. Maybe try rebooting your phone and reloading it again? Someone else in the comments said it didn't run after their first update. I do not know definitively yet whether or not it will actually work though. If JB gets crammed down my throat, oh well. Hopefully JB works if it does, or I'll break contract with Verizon and go elsewhere. $350.00 really isn't a lot of money to me for a phone that works. Maybe going back to Sprint is in my future again, or T-Mob if Carly comes with the package...lol
    Good suggestion. I did a full power cycle and ran the OTA Blocker again. Says that my "phone has a critical error with your OTA files. Do not proceed...SDM.apk (or its backup) has an unrecognized hash". The option to "Enable OTA Blocker" is not functional.
    I thought that maybe the Superuser "ota survival" mode being active may have had a lock on the SDM.apk, so I unchecked that option, then reinstalled OTA Blocker. Still same results. So, for now I'll stick with the "ota survival" mode and see it that helps until I have more time to research the manual file edit methods.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    959 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    Yup -- I was one of those people as well. It just goes to show it wasn't the update itself, it was installing it OTA that mucking stuff up. And, yes, you're right, even if you follow all recommended steps to the letter, some phones will just get screwed up.

I'm a lot like you...I will never update just for the sake of updating if I'm happy with way things are. Perhaps I'm a bit more of a "hobbyist" and enjoy flashing ROMs more, but once I find a build I'm happy with, I tend to keep it for a while. When I had my Thunderbolt, I actually built my own ROM that I ran for about 9 months, even though newer ones kept coming out.

If you do it that way, the odds are in your favor that it will turn out good.

Doing it manually is pretty easy, really, and only takes a few seconds when you're able to get around to it. You just have to use Root Explorer, go to the directory, and make sure it's in "R/W" mode (you'll see a "mount as r/w" button at the top), and then long-press the files to rename.
    [How To][ROOT] Block Verizon OTAs (post bootloader/ROM flash)
    Nice, just saw your latest response. I implemented the file renames as noted in the post. I should be double covered now.

ROM
    Stock but unlocked

Question Everyone: I've installed the 3rd leak whcih is very stable and looking to update my device to the "official" version. Should I factory reset and the install and have to install all my apps again with settings?

Whats the best way of going?

What are the available options to be able to use the wireless hotspot if you're on the Verizon unlimited plan without having to fork over the additional $20 per month with JB?

Quote Originally Posted by flyfish23 View Post
    Question Everyone: I've installed the 3rd leak whcih is very stable and looking to update my device to the "official" version. Should I factory reset and the install and have to install all my apps again with settings?

Whats the best way of going?
    Are you rooted or not? I'll assume "not" for my response...

If you REALLY want to ensure that the update installs without a hitch, then yes, I'd recommend doing a factory reset prior to installing it...but obviously you'll want to wait until the update is actually available before you do this. It is absolutely, however, not necessary.

The catch 22 is, if you're running a leak, there's a chance you won't be able to update via OTA...just depends on whether the update recognizes your system as valid. (it *should*...just a chance it may not).

Global Posts
    959 Global Posts

Are you rooted or not? I'll assume "not" for my response...

If you REALLY want to ensure that the update installs without a hitch, then yes, I'd recommend doing a factory reset prior to installing it...but obviously you'll want to wait until the update is actually available before you do this. It is absolutely, however, not necessary.

The catch 22 is, if you're running a leak, there's a chance you won't be able to update via OTA...just depends on whether the update recognizes your system as valid. (it *should*...just a chance it may not).
    So after playing around more I decided to do a Factory Reset (after backup). Out of curiosity I ran the Software Update and received "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped.". I wondered if root still lived after the reset, and confirmed with Root Checker Basic that root was still functional. Next, I reinstalled Root Explorer and checked the filename extensions for FWUpgrade and SDM. They are still at the renamed instances of .bak and odex.bak, respectively.
    So, being this is the first time I've rooted is what I experienced after a Factory Rest normal? Seems as if an OTA push relies upon the Software Update feature and the underlying files/apps; then it will not succeed.

Global Posts
    509 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted, Unlocked

My JB update just pushed OTA!!!!

When you say pushed OTA do you mean it just updated on its own?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

I think he means that it finally showed on his phone. OTA means over the air if I'm not mistaken. And I think it prompts you to update, asking you if you want to perform the new software update.
    Verizon Galaxy S4>>JellyBeans B4>>KT-747>>64gb SanDisk ext SD.

Still got much love for my retired S3.. Man do I miss MOAR

"If you're killed in the Matrix...You die here?"
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Verizon Galaxy S3
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Verizon HTC Incredible 2
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

Quote Originally Posted by pakmansi View Post
    What are the available options to be able to use the wireless hotspot if you're on the Verizon unlimited plan without having to fork over the additional $20 per month with JB?
    I think you can use a tether (usb cable) , or also use blutooth I'm pretty sure. I wouldn't recommend using the 3g mobile hotspot app. It's terribly slow. I bought a version jet pack and it costs me 10$ for access then I share all my data. It's pretty dang fast (fast enough to play Xbox live, though that eats your data like crazy) and it's pretty cheap . I would go with that.

Verizon Galaxy S4
    Verizon Galaxy S3
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Verizon HTC Incredible 2

He was mistaken he said in another post that it was an older update

The amazing galaxy s3
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

I just read on Verizon's website that when it asks if you want to update, that if you say no it will keep asking every 30 minutes. Ugh.
    Also, quick question : My S3 is completely stock, it's not rooted or anything (I'm not even using a launcher right now). Should I still do a factory reset prior to downloading the update? Will it make it less buggy? Or will it even matter? I really would like to not have to do a factory reset, but i will if it will make things easier and smoother. Like I said, my phone is completely stock except for apps I've downloaded.
    Thanks alot.

Verizon Galaxy S4
    Verizon Galaxy S3
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Verizon HTC Incredible 2
    Banned

ROM
    Stock for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholi2789 View Post
    I just read on Verizon's website that when it asks if you want to update, that if you say no it will keep asking every 30 minutes. Ugh.
    Also, quick question : My S3 is completely stock, it's not rooted or anything (I'm not even using a launcher right now). Should I still do a factory reset prior to downloading the update? Will it make it less buggy? Or will it even matter? I really would like to not have to do a factory reset, but i will if it will make things easier and smoother. Like I said, my phone is completely stock except for apps I've downloaded.
    Thanks alot.
    Download a wifi toggle off the market and turn off your wifi until you're ready to update. If that doesn't work, turn off your mobile data and use your phone as a PDA until you're ready
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

Download a wifi toggle off the market and turn off your wifi until you're ready to update. If that doesn't work, turn off your mobile data and use your phone as a PDA until you're ready
    Well I'm sure that I'll end up doing it whenever it comes out. I was just trying to figure out the best/smoothest way to do it. Do you think I should do a factory reset? Or will it matter at all on a stock phone?

Verizon Galaxy S4
    Verizon Galaxy S3
    Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Verizon HTC Incredible 2

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholi2789 View Post
    Well I'm sure that I'll end up doing it whenever it comes out. I was just trying to figure out the best/smoothest way to do it. Do you think I should do a factory reset? Or will it matter at all on a stock phone?
    Do it after the update. Smoothes out a lot of issues IMO

Sent from my phablet.

Checked for the update this AM. Nothing so far.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

When I had my Moto Droid X I found out that there were documented issues with the system cache causing problems for app updates and system performance.
    This came about because the system cache was not being managed properly by the apps and Operating System that used it.
    Back then, I got into the habit of periodically clearing the system cache in the Droid X. I did this after doing a lot of app updates or just before a system update.

While I do not know for a fact that the S3 has any issues with it's system cache not being managed properly, I have continued my habit of periodically clearing the system cache in the S3 anyway. (Both after doing a lot of app updates or just before a system update.)

For those interested in knowing how to clear the system cache in the S3 here is the procedure:

Please Note: Be VERY CAREFUL when doing this procedure that you do not do a Factory Reset by accident.

Personally, I would not do a factory reset unless the update fails or I start having a LOT of issues with a LOT of apps.
    After an OS update such as JB, it would not be unusual to see some apps have issues because the app needs to be modified to work properly with the new OS.
    Doing a Factory Reset will not help in situations like this where the app is the issue.

Hopefully the JB update will not cause very many problems for too many of us.
    I am looking forward to seeing the new features & functions JB brings to the table for our S3s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog5000 View Post
    So after playing around more I decided to do a Factory Reset (after backup). Out of curiosity I ran the Software Update and received "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped.". I wondered if root still lived after the reset, and confirmed with Root Checker Basic that root was still functional. Next, I reinstalled Root Explorer and checked the filename extensions for FWUpgrade and SDM. They are still at the renamed instances of .bak and odex.bak, respectively.
    So, being this is the first time I've rooted is what I experienced after a Factory Rest normal? Seems as if an OTA push relies upon the Software Update feature and the underlying files/apps; then it will not succeed.
    To make sure you still have root:

1. Make sure you have "Super SU" app

2. Run an app that asks for root, and make sure you get prompted for it. One very quick way to tell is to download "Terminal Emulator" app, open it and type "su -" at the prompt. It should pop up and ask you to grant root permissions if it's working correctly.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    959 Global Posts

To make sure you still have root:

1. Make sure you have "Super SU" app

2. Run an app that asks for root, and make sure you get prompted for it. One very quick way to tell is to download "Terminal Emulator" app, open it and type "su -" at the prompt. It should pop up and ask you to grant root permissions if it's working correctly.
    Worked perfectly from what I can tell so far.

I just got my S3 yesterday in the mail. I could not wait for today to open it up and set it up. I have seen that people are saying to format the phone back to factory after the update... Am I really going to have to do this?

Endgadget reported that the JB update for Verizon is actually 400MB...62MB was a mistake.

Quick question:

I just got the update and it automatically set me to Global network mode. Should I leave it that way or change it back to LTE/CDMA?

Quote Originally Posted by hanzo336 View Post
    Endgadget reported that the JB update for Verizon is actually 400MB...62MB was a mistake.
    Yep, just got it. 400 MB it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ejpark View Post
    Quick question:

I just got the update and it automatically set me to Global network mode. Should I leave it that way or change it back to LTE/CDMA?
    Same here. Anyone know if it makes any difference being on global vs lte?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast