Verizon Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean update questions
01-01-2013 09:28 AM
- 12-14-2012 12:52 PM
- Change it back to LTE/CDMA it will use more battery in global mode. My friends Razr did that as well and he said his battery life suffered a little until he switched it back to LTE/CDMA. My S3 is updating to the Jellybean OTA as I type this and I plan to switch it back to LTE/cdma so I don't loose battery life.12-14-2012 01:00 PM
- To make sure you still have root:
1. Make sure you have "Super SU" app
2. Run an app that asks for root, and make sure you get prompted for it. One very quick way to tell is to download "Terminal Emulator" app, open it and type "su -" at the prompt. It should pop up and ask you to grant root permissions if it's working correctly.12-15-2012 01:39 AM
- DO. NOT. DO. IT!! this is the biggest mistake i have made in regards to my phone.. i loved my phone so very much (with ICS), and i was very excited for Jellybean. so, at around midnight last night when i saw on the Samsung Mobile USA Facebook page that they'd confirmed the roll-out for JB, and that it was also in my phones new updates (as an OTA), i jumped right on it. now, i am frantically looking for a way to un-do this travesty and regain the functions of my once adored SGIII. here are the issues i am experiencing (SO FAR). if ANYBODY has ANY insight, or can point me in the direction of restoring ICS (my phone is NOT rooted, and i would very much prefer not to ROOT) i would be eternally grateful.. please! i love my SGIII so much. i am actually so upset.. i plan to return my brand new Christmas present of my Galaxy Tab2 7 because i want absolutely NOTHING MORE to do with Samsung! they have destroyed all that was good and right with the nearly perfect phone, the Samsung Galaxy S3. it is NOW to the point of being unusable.
(side-note before i dive in- nothing changed when you update OTA; all of your contacts, call log, apps, settings, screens, preferences, every single small thing stays EXACTLY the same. all of my apps are working exactly the same, and correctly, SO FAR, but i've not yet had time to open all 140+ apps on my phone. i will amend this if necessary. okay, onward..)
-NO MORE linking contacts. nada. buh bye. say hello to your contacts looking like a disorganized mess. this is making a mildly-OCD person like me very upset. i like organization and structure, and this was a VERY important feature to me.
-BYE BYE BATTERY LIFE! i had my phone off the charger for, oh, 35 minutes this morning and it went from 100% batter to 76% in that time.. it usually takes my phone about 8 hours to get to that point (i have meticulous power-saving settings, and nothing changed when the update went through.. i will do more heavy settings-tweaking and report back)
-the WIDGETS! for the love of technology, the WIDGETS.. where do i begin? firstly, they take at LEAST a full minute to load upon start-up/power-on of device.. they are now VERY slow moving, slow to load, they are sluggish and well.. they just don't 'act' right. YES, i deleted them all and re-applied them. this did not help in the least. secondly, widgets such as the picture fame are now showing most of my photos as 'broken' files (showing only a black/grey exclamation point where my photos would normally be. this never once occured with ICS.. this worries me GREATLY as this could be a potential SD issue that JB is encountering..). if you attempt to select said 'broken file' it informs you 'unable to find this item'.. but, go straight to your gallery, and it shows NO broken .jpegs or photos, and shows your SDHC card as installed normally.
-using VIBRATE as an alert accompaniment within apps (Facebook, G-mail, mail, etc..) now wants to make you chuck your phone at a wall/other hard surface. with ICS, this was a useful tool.. if you did not hear the audible alert, you would feel a small pulse of a 1 sec. vibration to let you know of the impending message/alert. this has now turned into a full 5 sec. vibration, which well outlasts the audible alert.. i don't know if this would bother a lot of you, but it MORE than bothers me!
-the amount of space this app will use on your phone is.. inordinate. i hope you have the 16 gb. model of the SGIII, because if not, you will very likely not even be able to update to JB! i went to my Settings > Storage > Device Memory, to make sure my SD card was being properly recognized (due to all the broken photos appearing in my widget).. and i thought my eyes were being deceived for a moment. there is a break-down bar at the top that tells you the amount of space being used by each part of your phone (apps, photos/videos, downloads, 'misc. files' aka bloatware and OTA updates). now, before my JB update, granted i still did not have a ton of space available on the device itself (this is where my 32 gb. memory card carries most of the burden), but i know it was somewhere around 1.3 gb of FREE SPACE available.. unused.. NOW? now, i have left, after the JB update.. 789 MB. MEGABYTES, left. JB and it's 'miscellaneous files' are currently overtaking 11.69 GB of space on the device itself. that makes me want to vomit.
-(*AMENDED) no longer compatible with SYNC to computer.. it informs that the device requires an update of drivers, but provides NO solution to this issue.. i had a message appear briefly on my screen, informing my that the device was no longer recognized as a USB device, and unable to sync with Android, Google, media, etc etc.. it informs me to use Kies to download a Samsung software update. since my phone is bricked at the moment (i have NO apps/widgets/icons on my phone, no screens, no pull-down notification bar, no lock-screen apps.. nothing), i am unable to attempt this anyway.. but, i have done a bit of digging into this issue via other Samsung and Android forums to see what this error message meant, (there are even several threads here, on AC, addressing this exact issue..) and most users are informing that Kies is crashing or denying access to the actual 'fix'.
this is all i have come across, YET.. i am far too stressed out to look for anything further, as i now have a call to make to VZW. i will be demanding a swap for my SGIII as well as returning to them the 5-day-old Galaxy Tab 2 7" i just got.. shame, i very much like the Tab.. but i will never, EVER willingly own another Samsung product after what they have done here. Brava, Samsung.. releasing a half-baked version of a software just to pacify the masses? guess what? now you ARE just like Apple.
i reiterate- if you enjoy your SGIII, as i did up until today, DO NOT DO THE UPDATE TO JB. i am so unhappy right now, it is immeasurable. i had literally finally found what i had deemed the perfect phone.. and they ruined it in one fell swoop of a shoddy update that needed just a little more work.. but they gave into the screaming masses, as the conglomerates do. now, they will make us wait 6 months for an 'update' to fix all the issues with it. i, for one, intend to raise hell with my carrier. i know the in's-and-out's of Verizon well enough to know what to say and do to get use out of my 1-year manufacturer's warranty. in the meantime.. somebody.. ANYBODY.. PLEASE, tell me there is a way back out of this awful rabbit hole?! PLEASE!
(*AMENDED) after 3 and a half hours on the phone with VZW tech support yesterday, i was informed that for the past 3 days, they have been inundated with calls from SGIII and NoteII users with my EXACT same issues.. phones, well for lack of a better word, 'bricking'. after a failed master system reset, and a failed remote reset, they had to sent out a replacement device. luckily, i will be getting ICS back.. when i get my replacement device in 5-7 days. you can be sure i will absolutely NOT be attempting another OS 'upgrade' to JB! at this point, after flashing my device and attempting a master reset, it only worsened the issues. my phone has no more icons/apps/widgets, no more screens, no more lock screen functions.. it only shows the background image upon being powered on, not even showing the drop-down menu bar or any of the icons that should be in it (time, 3G/4G, battery, charge percentage, notifications..). i have no idea exactly what went wrong here, but this is clearly something to do with a corrupted JB OS, as was confirmed by one of Verizon's tech support managers. the bottom line is, these updates ARE causing major damage to many phones, and not even working correctly to begin with. to me, this is not worth the couple extra features it comes with. i went from being so very happy with my phone, to absolutely hating it, and Samsung, and everything they stand for.12-30-2012 12:07 PM
- Although you won't root, your best solution is either cleanrom 5.5.1 or another similar.
Understand product development when a phone first comes out optimizes everything. People then insist on the latest update, and this is more about compatibility.
The great modders then tweak and throw out the bloatware.
Samsung is not really to blame. They build great devices.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums12-30-2012 01:17 PMLike 1
- Same here. I have encountered no problems with the update. Battery life seems the same, all my apps are working fine. I think it was a worthy update. I really enjoy Google now and use it quite a bit. I don't know why other people are having problems but all well with mine.12-30-2012 08:17 PM
- i am (was) very happy with my device.. thank you for the tip. i have been sent out a replacement device due to the extensive damage to my device, that 3 and a half hours on the phone with tech support could not rectify. it actually made it worse. much, much worse. this is the result of demanding consumers and a conglomerate that buckles to the pressure to pacify the masses, so they release a 'meh' version of an OS, instead of having waited 3 more months to completely work out all of the bugs and release something that works properly. i am so disappointed in Samsung as a company. they really did not do the right thing here as far as what was right vs. what was smart. they really just.. they blew it. those of you satisfied with your updates.. maybe you aren't seeing these issues yet. but they're there. and they will start to annoy or upset you as you find them, because it is negating the overall wonderful experience of these awesome phones. i went digging to seek out these issues, i was looking to see if anything was wrong with JB, hoping to NOT find these problems, but i knew what i was looking for. every OS is going to have it's issues but this is outright sloppy.. it's like the kid who forgot to do his art project, woke up an hour earlier for school, and glued together some popsicle sticks and cotton balls and didn't even let it dry. that is truly the best analogy i can think of for JB. it is unfinished, unrefined, and it truly shows. had they put just the smallest amount more of effort into this, it would be a huge step up for our Galaxy products. instead, it is a giant step backwards. when and IF they finally do work out the kinks in a few months, i will reconsider. until then, i was very happy with my ICS.. and in my opinion, JB isn't really much of a step forward (especially with so many issues).12-31-2012 11:06 AM
- 12-31-2012 07:05 PM
- Samsung Android Phones
- Samsung Galaxy S3
- Verizon Galaxy S III
Verizon Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean update questions
- By kiikii07 in forum AT&T Galaxy S IIIReplies: 7Last Post: 12-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Question about the Samsung charger that came with Verizon Galaxy S3, does it have 0.7A or 1A output?By BuyOneGetFour in forum Verizon Galaxy S IIIReplies: 4Last Post: 12-08-2012, 01:20 PM
- By D_Cubeddd in forum Verizon Galaxy NexusReplies: 2Last Post: 10-03-2012, 03:48 PM
- By Kronko in forum Samsung Galaxy S3Replies: 2Last Post: 09-16-2012, 03:19 PM
- By 1aziz in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy NexusReplies: 8Last Post: 07-23-2012, 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD