Verizon Galaxy S3 Jelly Bean update questions

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I see one in Google Play that's specifically for this phone and carrier. Root is a prerequisite. Looks like I'll be rooting today :D Nice tip. I have the same concern that you and others have voiced around " The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly" that comes with any new update. Notice any issues with the OTA Blocker thus far?

None yet...I haven't had an update thrown my way since I bought it. It only blocks OTA's from Verizon.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
There's no way to block root on un-rooted phones, because there's no way to "freeze" the processes that check for updates without it. I'm assuming the app just does what many of us have already done manually, which is to rename the .apk file(s) that the system uses to check for updates so they can't run. I couldn't imagine there would be any way to know if there were any "issues" with the app until an update actually arrives.

As I've mentioned on other threads, a huge majority of the "bugs" reported after updates are the result of app and user data on device, and not the update itself. OTA's are basically what root-users would refer to as a "dirty flash", meaning that the update is applied directly over top the existing configuration without clearing any user data first. The advantage to doing it this way is that all your apps and settings and such are retained during the update process, but the disadvantage is that often that data is incompatible with the new OS and causes your device to become "buggy". I assure Verizon (and other carriers) do this because the average user certainly doesn't want to factory reset each time they run an update (forcing you to set your device up all over again), however doing that would eliminate a LOT of issues folks have. I highly recommend all non-rooted users do a factory reset prior to applying an OTA update (and think that carriers should at the very least put out info on how to do it for their users)...but I also know that 99.9% of folks probably don't. Instead what happens is people install the OTA, have issues, call Verizon tech support, *then* they suggest you factory reset.

As someone who's running the current leak right now, I will say that it's actually pretty freakin' stable and runnin' like a champ.

And those who flashed the leaked GB update on the T-Bolts didn't have a problem either. It was the "official" OTA that screwed the T-Bolts...just like Sprint with a lot of the S2's (I was a victim of that one) But, for the millionth time, not everyone will experience the same results. Some people will be happy, some people will be mad. No 2 phones are identical. That's why custom ROMs work differently for everyone. My phone is PERFECT right now and everything works including the cut and paste, I get no "no sim" warnings, no "sd card unmounted" no frozen screens, have perfect reception, etc. Why on earth would I want to take a chance screwing that up? Sometimes it's the apps, and sometimes it's the carrier update. When I do decide to take it, I will do a factory reset first, pull the battery, and reboot. I've been rotting and ROMing phones since the Hero came out (aka Verizon Eris) and not just my phones. I know a little. The S3 is the first phone I've had for stock more than a day. I'm pleased with it, so I'm not changing it. I couldn't care less about Google Now, or JB because of TW. If I was running AOSP, yes, I'd want JB. I'm sure that I'll root my S3 in another 6 months or so, and start messing with ROM's...I'll just make sure I have a Note 2 sitting on my nightstand as my primary device when I do it. Right now, I only have my S3 and it's the first time I've only had one phone.

Last edited:

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
There's no way to block root on un-rooted phones, because there's no way to "freeze" the processes that check for updates without it. I'm assuming the app just does what many of us have already done manually, which is to rename the .apk file(s) that the system uses to check for updates so they can't run. I couldn't imagine there would be any way to know if there were any "issues" with the app until an update actually arrives.

As I've mentioned on other threads, a huge majority of the "bugs" reported after updates are the result of app and user data on device, and not the update itself. OTA's are basically what root-users would refer to as a "dirty flash", meaning that the update is applied directly over top the existing configuration without clearing any user data first. The advantage to doing it this way is that all your apps and settings and such are retained during the update process, but the disadvantage is that often that data is incompatible with the new OS and causes your device to become "buggy". I assure Verizon (and other carriers) do this because the average user certainly doesn't want to factory reset each time they run an update (forcing you to set your device up all over again), however doing that would eliminate a LOT of issues folks have. I highly recommend all non-rooted users do a factory reset prior to applying an OTA update (and think that carriers should at the very least put out info on how to do it for their users)...but I also know that 99.9% of folks probably don't. Instead what happens is people install the OTA, have issues, call Verizon tech support, *then* they suggest you factory reset.

As someone who's running the current leak right now, I will say that it's actually pretty freakin' stable and runnin' like a champ.
Appreciate the additional perspective. Understand about the ability to detect issues until the OTA Blocker is actually invoked, I was just checking if there were any general issues installing, etc. Your PSA announcement was also good reading and helpful. I just rooted via the process here http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve.../233457-problems-rooting-mac.html#post2430525

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
None yet...I haven't had an update thrown my way since I bought it. It only blocks OTA's from Verizon.
Cool, thanks for confirming. Since I'm running VRLHE, the OTA Blocker does not support this build. Nice intent and app, though, and I have it just in case the developers update it to support VRLHE in the future. I'm trying the Superuser "ota survival" mode right now.
If I get more free time (I'm supposed to be doing a bunch of house projects right now), I will investigate the manual file editing options that I ran across recently.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Cool, thanks for confirming. Since I'm running VRLHE, the OTA Blocker does not support this build. Nice intent and app, though, and I have it just in case the developers update it to support VRLHE in the future. I'm trying the Superuser "ota survival" mode right now.
If I get more free time (I'm supposed to be doing a bunch of house projects right now), I will investigate the manual file editing options that I ran across recently.

That's one of the weird things about different phones...It loaded right up on mine, and I'm running LHE. Maybe try rebooting your phone and reloading it again? Someone else in the comments said it didn't run after their first update. I do not know definitively yet whether or not it will actually work though. If JB gets crammed down my throat, oh well. Hopefully JB works if it does, or I'll break contract with Verizon and go elsewhere. $350.00 really isn't a lot of money to me for a phone that works. Maybe going back to Sprint is in my future again, or T-Mob if Carly comes with the package...lol

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
And those who flashed the leaked GB update on the T-Bolts didn't have a problem either. It was the "official" OTA that screwed the T-Bolts...just like Sprint with a lot of the S2's (I was a victim of that one) But, for the millionth time, not everyone will experience the same results. Some people will be happy, some people will be mad. No 2 phones are identical. That's why custom ROMs work differently for everyone. My phone is PERFECT right now and everything works including the cut and paste, I get no "no sim" warnings, no "sd card unmounted" no frozen screens, have perfect reception, etc. Why on earth would I want to take a chance screwing that up? Sometimes it's the apps, and sometimes it's the carrier update. When I do decide to take it, I will do a factory reset first, pull the battery, and reboot. I've been rotting and ROMing phones since the Hero came out (aka Verizon Eris) and not just my phones. I know a little. The S3 is the first phone I've had for stock more than a day. I'm pleased with it, so I'm not changing it. I couldn't care less about Google Now, or JB because of TW. If I was running AOSP, yes, I'd want JB. I'm sure that I'll root my S3 in another 6 months or so, and start messing with ROMs...I'll just make sure I have a Note 2 sitting on my nightstand as my primary device when I do it. Right now, I only have my S3 and it's the first time I've only had one phone.

Yup -- I was one of those people as well. It just goes to show it wasn't the update itself, it was installing it OTA that mucking stuff up. And, yes, you're right, even if you follow all recommended steps to the letter, some phones will just get screwed up.

I'm a lot like you...I will never update just for the sake of updating if I'm happy with way things are. Perhaps I'm a bit more of a "hobbyist" and enjoy flashing ROMs more, but once I find a build I'm happy with, I tend to keep it for a while. When I had my Thunderbolt, I actually built my own ROM that I ran for about 9 months, even though newer ones kept coming out.

If you do it that way, the odds are in your favor that it will turn out good.

Doing it manually is pretty easy, really, and only takes a few seconds when you're able to get around to it. You just have to use Root Explorer, go to the directory, and make sure it's in "R/W" mode (you'll see a "mount as r/w" button at the top), and then long-press the files to rename.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...k-verizon-otas-post-bootloader-rom-flash.html

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
That's one of the weird things about different phones...It loaded right up on mine, and I'm running LHE. Maybe try rebooting your phone and reloading it again? Someone else in the comments said it didn't run after their first update. I do not know definitively yet whether or not it will actually work though. If JB gets crammed down my throat, oh well. Hopefully JB works if it does, or I'll break contract with Verizon and go elsewhere. $350.00 really isn't a lot of money to me for a phone that works. Maybe going back to Sprint is in my future again, or T-Mob if Carly comes with the package...lol
Good suggestion. I did a full power cycle and ran the OTA Blocker again. Says that my "phone has a critical error with your OTA files. Do not proceed...SDM.apk (or its backup) has an unrecognized hash". The option to "Enable OTA Blocker" is not functional.
I thought that maybe the Superuser "ota survival" mode being active may have had a lock on the SDM.apk, so I unchecked that option, then reinstalled OTA Blocker. Still same results. So, for now I'll stick with the "ota survival" mode and see it that helps until I have more time to research the manual file edit methods.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Yup -- I was one of those people as well. It just goes to show it wasn't the update itself, it was installing it OTA that mucking stuff up. And, yes, you're right, even if you follow all recommended steps to the letter, some phones will just get screwed up.

I'm a lot like you...I will never update just for the sake of updating if I'm happy with way things are. Perhaps I'm a bit more of a "hobbyist" and enjoy flashing ROMs more, but once I find a build I'm happy with, I tend to keep it for a while. When I had my Thunderbolt, I actually built my own ROM that I ran for about 9 months, even though newer ones kept coming out.

If you do it that way, the odds are in your favor that it will turn out good.

Doing it manually is pretty easy, really, and only takes a few seconds when you're able to get around to it. You just have to use Root Explorer, go to the directory, and make sure it's in "R/W" mode (you'll see a "mount as r/w" button at the top), and then long-press the files to rename.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...k-verizon-otas-post-bootloader-rom-flash.html
Nice, just saw your latest response. I implemented the file renames as noted in the post. I should be double covered now.

flyfish23

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Question Everyone: I've installed the 3rd leak whcih is very stable and looking to update my device to the "official" version. Should I factory reset and the install and have to install all my apps again with settings?

Whats the best way of going?

pakmansi

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
What are the available options to be able to use the wireless hotspot if you're on the Verizon unlimited plan without having to fork over the additional $20 per month with JB?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Question Everyone: I've installed the 3rd leak whcih is very stable and looking to update my device to the "official" version. Should I factory reset and the install and have to install all my apps again with settings?

Whats the best way of going?

Are you rooted or not? I'll assume "not" for my response...

If you REALLY want to ensure that the update installs without a hitch, then yes, I'd recommend doing a factory reset prior to installing it...but obviously you'll want to wait until the update is actually available before you do this. It is absolutely, however, not necessary.

The catch 22 is, if you're running a leak, there's a chance you won't be able to update via OTA...just depends on whether the update recognizes your system as valid. (it *should*...just a chance it may not).

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Are you rooted or not? I'll assume "not" for my response...

If you REALLY want to ensure that the update installs without a hitch, then yes, I'd recommend doing a factory reset prior to installing it...but obviously you'll want to wait until the update is actually available before you do this. It is absolutely, however, not necessary.

The catch 22 is, if you're running a leak, there's a chance you won't be able to update via OTA...just depends on whether the update recognizes your system as valid. (it *should*...just a chance it may not).
So after playing around more I decided to do a Factory Reset (after backup). Out of curiosity I ran the Software Update and received "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped.". I wondered if root still lived after the reset, and confirmed with Root Checker Basic that root was still functional. Next, I reinstalled Root Explorer and checked the filename extensions for FWUpgrade and SDM. They are still at the renamed instances of .bak and odex.bak, respectively.
So, being this is the first time I've rooted is what I experienced after a Factory Rest normal? Seems as if an OTA push relies upon the Software Update feature and the underlying files/apps; then it will not succeed.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think he means that it finally showed on his phone. OTA means over the air if I'm not mistaken. And I think it prompts you to update, asking you if you want to perform the new software update.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
What are the available options to be able to use the wireless hotspot if you're on the Verizon unlimited plan without having to fork over the additional $20 per month with JB?
I think you can use a tether (usb cable) , or also use blutooth I'm pretty sure. I wouldn't recommend using the 3g mobile hotspot app. It's terribly slow. I bought a version jet pack and it costs me 10$ for access then I share all my data. It's pretty dang fast (fast enough to play Xbox live, though that eats your data like crazy) and it's pretty cheap . I would go with that.

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I just read on Verizon's website that when it asks if you want to update, that if you say no it will keep asking every 30 minutes. Ugh.
Also, quick question : My S3 is completely stock, it's not rooted or anything (I'm not even using a launcher right now). Should I still do a factory reset prior to downloading the update? Will it make it less buggy? Or will it even matter? I really would like to not have to do a factory reset, but i will if it will make things easier and smoother. Like I said, my phone is completely stock except for apps I've downloaded.
Thanks alot.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I just read on Verizon's website that when it asks if you want to update, that if you say no it will keep asking every 30 minutes. Ugh.
Also, quick question : My S3 is completely stock, it's not rooted or anything (I'm not even using a launcher right now). Should I still do a factory reset prior to downloading the update? Will it make it less buggy? Or will it even matter? I really would like to not have to do a factory reset, but i will if it will make things easier and smoother. Like I said, my phone is completely stock except for apps I've downloaded.
Thanks alot.

Download a wifi toggle off the market and turn off your wifi until you're ready to update. If that doesn't work, turn off your mobile data and use your phone as a PDA until you're ready

Nicholi2789

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Download a wifi toggle off the market and turn off your wifi until you're ready to update. If that doesn't work, turn off your mobile data and use your phone as a PDA until you're ready
Well I'm sure that I'll end up doing it whenever it comes out. I was just trying to figure out the best/smoothest way to do it. Do you think I should do a factory reset? Or will it matter at all on a stock phone?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julieharrison