Jelly Bean Issues After Update

CBCstillmatic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
My only issue after the update that's been bugging me is when I get text alerts I get a long vibrate and the sound cuts off. I factory reset before and twice since the update and still messed up and I don't get it. If I pull the battery it works good first time then no good after. Even if I turn off the vibration the alert still gets cut off. It seams the text wakes the phone and as soon as the screen comes on the alert cuts short. This happens with both my custom times and the built in one's. I may have to try a different text app or call Verizon up if that don't work.

On another note the max overall volume seams a bit lower to me. And I really miss the notification bubbles that used to pop up on the lock screen that you could swipe to go right to the text or missed call or whatever.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Here's something that's come up. I use a basic Droid eye wallpaper for my lock screen and I've noticed that now I have faded blotches on the left side of it. When I look at this wallpaper in the gallery or set it for my home screens it doesn't show up. Just for the lock screen....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

My lock screen picture is also faded on the left side. It's a picture of my dog, and she looked fine before JB on the picture, but now the left side is faded like i left the picture sitting out in the sun. But it's almost like a line through the middle, vertically.

CBCstillmatic

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Never mind I just found the answer 2 pages back. Turning off auto delete old messages fixes my alert issue though I never seamed to have that issue with ics.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean by expanding notifications in the bar? I just always pulled down to see notifications then touched on the notification like txt or email and it took me to the app... Is there something different you can do?

If you pinch to zoom on the notification you can collapse or expand them. To see more or less of the info on the notification. Originally it was designed to see them expanded with a two finger drag down but they must have altered that at some point.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

N2myN2

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
It looks to me like what you guys are calling "problems" are simply the normal things in JB. Except for the battery life, everything seems normal to me. I have a Note 2 and just helped my daughter install this update her S3. It looks like my Note 2 now. You will get the app issues worked soon and all will be well soon. After a few days to get the bugs worked out, try Apex launcher and a few new JB apps and widgets and I'm sure you will love your S3 even more than before.
Patience my friends,
Rob

jaebberwock

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I've had trouble with Foxfi after the update. Foxfi has been somewhat temperamental since they've switched over to a paid version for whatever reason. After the Jelly Bean update, my connection to the hotspot has been very unstable. The connection itself is fine but I frequently got page load errors, unable to connect, etc. all while Windows shows a perfectly fine internet connection. I am also wary that it makes Verizon's hotspot app pop up now.

Also, this is kind of a big deal to me but probably not to most is that I was able to set my phone to vibrate only when silent. Unless I'm missing something, it's either vibrate and sound together or no vibrate at all, i.e. if you don't check the option, the phone won't notify you that you have a message when on silent.

I like to have audio only with no vibrations if possible but would like vibrations for discrete situations. I find getting vibrations annoying when texting.

I think the wifi problem is the biggest deal though. I've actually gone back to my Thunderbolt for the time being until the wifi issue gets hammered out.

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I *LOVED* how I would get a super short vibration notice to a text message while on a call. Now, it's back to a LONG vibration, which the caller can hear, and it disrupts the conversation. Any ideas on this one?

Have you gone back into the settings for vibrate pattern? Under sound menu. May have reset? Mine has always been a long vibrate but I know you can set a custom or different pattern.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

anon(3092520)

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Anybody having problems with the stock texting app? Voice recognition isn't working, words aren't completing and the predictive words aren't popping up sometimes.

Blennidae

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I don't even see the widget anymore in my list which is odd. I thought maybe they added a toggle switch in notifications but there is nothing there either.

The widget still works for me. In fact I noticed the upgrade seemed to fix the redraw issue I saw when going from portrait to landscape when using Nova Prime as my launcher. I went to see if it was still listed, and it is missing from the list on my phone as well. I did have it on one of my screens prior to the upgrade, I guess that's why its still available.

jkane001

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Only real issue I have is after you select an app to always respond to a click, it pops up a message telling you that you can change default apps by going to application manager and clearing all. It gives you that message every time, and the first 2 or 3 times I saw it, I thought it was an error message, so I actually did what it said, clearing all my defaults.

It was only a few times later that I realized it was a "helpful" message. I'd love to be able to turn that off.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
2 issues
I've noticed it seams to take a lot longer to charge, and why is Google making it more and more difficult to remove an app?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

handyman79

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
ive actually had good luck with it since it updated. no longer is Device Idle been my problem with battery life...usually it was at 30 to 40% of the reason for my battery drain on my phone. now its sits at 4 and 6 % all the time. I did a reset on my phone after i updated and been good.

drews66

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
ive actually had good luck with it since it updated. no longer is Device Idle been my problem with battery life...usually it was at 30 to 40% of the reason for my battery drain on my phone. now its sits at 4 and 6 % all the time. I did a reset on my phone after i updated and been good.

device idle was a bug not a real battery drain. It just showed the wrong info nice that it has been fixed. I to have had great luck also factory reset as I think you should

Kennyb123

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Have you gone back into the settings for vibrate pattern? Under sound menu. May have reset? Mine has always been a long vibrate but I know you can set a custom or different pattern.

I always had a long vibrate pattern for text messages, but the vibrate was just a super short blip while on a call, and I loved it. *sigh*

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
The callback number in text messages has everything to do with the person texting you. For some reason Verizon decided to enable this feature in the messaging app (its not there in ATT update). If you go into your message settings you can see that you can enable your own callback number. This is a standard thing on Blackberries and I wonder if it's on all newer Verizon handsets. I know the RAZR M send out a CB#.

Don't think so. Wife and I both have the 16gb, she updated yesterday, I'm on clean rom, both have callback number turned off, I'm getting her texts with her callback number, she does not get the callback on my texts to her. This is really annoying.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My update downloads but every time I go to install it, it says it failed. It brings me to the recovery screen to install a untrusted zip file? Any ideas?
enanu2yz.jpg

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have blk1 radio files, do you think that's the issue?

EDIT: JB radio files were the culprit. Make sure to have ICS radio files before attempting to update
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: