Jelly Bean Issues After Update

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Couple of things...first off, the "email" app that I don't use (only use the gmail app) is always running now according to the settings app manager "running apps" thing, after the update. It says that it was started by another app (?) for debugging (???). I have stopped it several times, and cleared its data at the same time, and it keeps getting restarted. Any ideas about that one? This is the biggest annoyance to me, why an app should be running all the time that I don't use at all is really a mystery. "Disable" is greyed out for the email app, and I cannot move it from the apps pages to the trash bin, so can't get rid of it.

As far as battery life goes, I had to go through all my settings and put them back the way they were before the update. Now that I've done that, the battery life seems fine, about what it was. Lots of "deep sleep" state (using CPU Spy and BetterBattery Stats apps to look at that). Not sure why the update didn't restore my settings to what they were, that would only be polite *smile*. But now that I've done it things seem fine (other than the annoyance of the "email" app running all the time).

And the battery settings thing with "Cell Standby" showing inflated percentage of battery use appears to be fixed, that's nice. Helps to have more realistic statistics to look at when looking at problems.

papafrankm

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The camera updates are amszing
Taking stills while videoing..zoom much better shutter flawless

What a great product in my opinion

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

anneemonster

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Also having issues with widgetlocker. It would crash maybe once a week before, but now it doesn't seem to want to cooperate at all. Works about 40% of the time.

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
My lock screen picture is also faded on the left side. It's a picture of my dog, and she looked fine before JB on the picture, but now the left side is faded like i left the picture sitting out in the sun. But it's almost like a line through the middle, vertically.

Don't know if mine was doing this before or if I just now noticed since I changed my pic. But it is for sure different with the same pic on my lock screen and home. Faded or fuzzy on the lock, crisp and clear on the home. It is odd... Have tried setting them together and separately and with different apps. Stock gallery and wallpaper wizardrii so not sure why it does ot

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

Mes3

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You're right Mes3. I went into my wife's phone and disabled the "send callback number" in text and now I don't get that annoying CB number after each text anymore. Still annoying that they would turn this on for everyone as a default. Why do you need the call back number of who sent you a text when the number will show if they are not in your contacts, and if they are in your contacts you don't need it?

Its useful for business people. You might have a number that forwards your calls to your desk phone, your business cell, and your personal cell.

zimmedl

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
My battery before JB update was doing just fine. I had screen brightness set higher, apps running, live wall papers etc. running and the battery still lasted all day long. Since JB update the battery has really taken a hit. I have now gone into power saving mode, reduced screen brightness, avoided using live wall papers etc. and the battery is till dropping. Clearly this is due to the JB update. Can't be anything else.
If I do a factory reset as suggested ---- will I lose my apps etc. that I have put onto the phone. What is the upside or downside of doing a reset?
Thanks.

drews66

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
My battery before JB update was doing just fine. I had screen brightness set higher, apps running, live wall papers etc. running and the battery still lasted all day long. Since JB update the battery has really taken a hit. I have now gone into power saving mode, reduced screen brightness, avoided using live wall papers etc. and the battery is till dropping. Clearly this is due to the JB update. Can't be anything else.
If I do a factory reset as suggested ---- will I lose my apps etc. that I have put onto the phone. What is the upside or downside of doing a reset?
Thanks.

Apps are deleted, but they will typically auto install after factory reset from the play store or you just reinstall them. App data saved progress games will be lost.. The upside is it will clean up any issues of overwriting files etc. It typically clears up most issues and is always a good idea after upgrade.

Just backup what you can if not rooted. Contacts, photos, music etc.

dogboyr1

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Not thrilled with the update, 2 big things, no dormant setting as advertised on Verizon. Searched the web for this setting and its not available on Verizon. No new jellybean look as advertised, and the one that really gets me is that I cant leave the ringer only on at night anymore and silence the rest of the alerts. If anyone has any suggestions how to fix this please let me know. I cant have my phone going off all night while sleeping but cant miss important calls either. Was never an issue with ICS.

Kennyb123

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Not thrilled with the update, 2 big things, no dormant setting as advertised on Verizon. Searched the web for this setting and its not available on Verizon. No new jellybean look as advertised, and the one that really gets me is that I cant leave the ringer only on at night anymore and silence the rest of the alerts. If anyone has any suggestions how to fix this please let me know. I cant have my phone going off all night while sleeping but cant miss important calls either. Was never an issue with ICS.

Download "Quickshortcutmaker" from the Play Store. Run the app. Search for "blocking". Select the 2nd option. Name your shortcut. There is your shortcut to the dormant settings, and you can now do EXACTLY what you are talking about here. :)

zimmedl

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Apps are deleted, but they will typically auto install after factory reset from the play store or you just reinstall them. App data saved progress games will be lost.. The upside is it will clean up any issues of overwriting files etc. It typically clears up most issues and is always a good idea after upgrade.

Just backup what you can if not rooted. Contacts, photos, music etc.

Thanks for your reply. I will give this another day to settle in and if not better will do reset. I am making sure things are backed up first. Hope JB is worth it.

frankles42

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I have my lockscreen set to activate two minutes after I turn the screen off, and on ICS pressing the home button when the screen was off in those two minutes would simply turn it on, not engage in any home screen behavior. For example, if I was currently using an app and turned the screen off, the home button would simply turn the screen on, maintaining the app activity.

Now, when I press the home button in those two minutes, the home button turns the screen on AND brings me back to the launcher (which I don't want), all in one push.

Would love to know if there's a way to change this!

has anyone else had this and gotten it resolved? i'm having the same issue using widgetlocker and a pin unlock thats required by school for exchange access. before the jb update i was able to set it to not lock the phone for ~15 minutes after it timed out, and it would just give me my normal widgetlocker lock screen. if i hit the home button to either turn the screen on, or from the lock screen, nothing would happen. once it was off for the 15 minutes the pin would be required once i got past the widgetlocker screen.

now a press of the home button will take me straight to my launcher even if the screen was off as long as the timer for the pin requirement hasnt gone off.

archer23

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
My battery issues worked itself out, but now I noticed that the text message ringtone gets cut off. It only plays about half of it and it is already a short tone (less than a second before it started getting cut off)

crabbz

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Couple of things...first off, the "email" app that I don't use (only use the gmail app) is always running now according to the settings app manager "running apps" thing, after the update. It says that it was started by another app (?) for debugging (???). I have stopped it several times, and cleared its data at the same time, and it keeps getting restarted. Any ideas about that one? This is the biggest annoyance to me, why an app should be running all the time that I don't use at all is really a mystery. "Disable" is greyed out for the email app, and I cannot move it from the apps pages to the trash bin, so can't get rid of it.

I see the same thing! I don't use the stock email app and can't prevent it from running. I also see "Simple alarm clock" running, which appears to be for a (new?) widget that I'm not using.

rjmnyg

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone posted about foxfi yet but after update the Verizon mobile hotspot popped up in the notification bar when I turned on foxfi anyone else have this happen

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC