Jelly Bean Issues After Update

RickG.

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem with my battery life. Maps is running a lot and keeping my phone awake for long periods of time. Yesterday, I didn't go anywhere (I was working on my house) and didn't use my phone for probably more than 10 minutes the entire day. I did not open Maps at all. By the evening, my batter was down to about 30% and Maps was #2 on the list for battery usage. I hope this gets sorted out soon. I, otherwise, love the JB improvements.

-SR-
Im having this exact issue. On a plus side my cell standby has gotten way better. My battery seems to be about the same as before, but I have never gotten the great battery life I have heard everyone else has gotten.

zimmedl

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I am hopeful someone will have an answer. If I had it to do over again, I would have stayed with ICS. Never ONE problem with ICS and now with JB everything is in question. I did a total factory reset, took the battery out for 40 minutes before I replaced it, drained the battery to 15% and then charged fully. Re-installed my apps and other files. My phone still is not working correctly. Apps seem to work briefly after a reboot but then working again -- apps like file managers, video players etc.; not all apps --- email is working, internet is working etc. Not sure if battery life has gotten better or not but it really does not matter if I can't depend on my apps to work. I read about doing a clear cache procedure but could not get it to do what the poster was suggesting. Any thoughts from anyone else out there? I wish I could go back to ICS.

Well, I may have stumbled onto something. I was using an external SD card with videos, photos and music on it. I took the card out and rebooted my phone and everything seemed to work fine. I reformatted my external SD card and put a few test files on it. I then put it back into my phone and rebooted. It seems to be working much better now. I hope the battery thing gets better as well.

yanks4life

May 14, 2010
Visit site
So I have been doing some searching around and it appears I might have fix for the map issue. Apparently this option was turned on with the jellybean update and you want to turn it off.

Go into maps app and do the following - Map > settings > location settings > and unselect "report from this device"

I'm going to give it a try today as well but let me know if that helps with people's battery life now.

Im having this exact issue. On a plus side my cell standby has gotten way better. My battery seems to be about the same as before, but I have never gotten the great battery life I have heard everyone else has gotten.

RickG.

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
So I have been doing some searching around and it appears I might have fix for the map issue. Apparently this option was turned on with the jellybean update and you want to turn it off.

Go into maps app and do the following - Map > settings > location settings > and unselect "report from this device"

I'm going to give it a try today as well but let me know if that helps with people's battery life now.
Wasn't the issue on my phone, mine was already unselected. Thanks though.

Yeag3r

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
If anyone can fix the Facebook lockscreen problem now I'll love you forever!:)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

dogboyr1

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Download "Quickshortcutmaker" from the Play Store. Run the app. Search for "blocking". Select the 2nd option. Name your shortcut. There is your shortcut to the dormant settings, and you can now do EXACTLY what you are talking about here. :)

set it up just like this and thought it was working, the text messages stopped alerting, but the emails vibrated all through the night. I have it set to disable notifications and the volume is turned off on all but ringer. Had it in sound mode all night and the sound and vibrate box is unchecked. Any suggestions?? Cant handle another sleepless night!!!

PS the vibrate box is unchecked on the email preferences also

Last edited:

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Still can't get the jelly bean look, everything looks the same , no updates for that look either.

Looked trough all the settings - nothing. Friends say , it changes to a new look right after it is installed, didn't happen to me.
Any suggestions ?

Any changes are very subtle. Menus are different, as are icons.

---
Never had an iphone, and don't want one. Tapatalk on Samsung GS3.

Anomalant

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
For those with Battery Issues have you tried changing the cell service back to CDMA/LTE from the Global Mode that it enabled? That seemed to help me.

Anyone able to replicate my calendar widget issue where it my screen glitches when scrolling left to right from the home screen?

jasondec72#AC

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site

I decided to do this earlier this morning and it appears that my battery has went back to normal. The JB Update turned it on. I'm going to see what other effects it has and report back.

(I also, removed all Map updates as well, but I don't think this has anything to do with it. However, I did notice that when I removed all the updates, it disabled the "Report from this device" option by itself)

juniorgolf18

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I decided to do this earlier this morning and it appears that my battery has went back to normal. The JB Update turned it on. I'm going to see what other effects it has and report back.

(I also, removed all Map updates as well, but I don't think this has anything to do with it. However, I did notice that when I removed all the updates, it disabled the "Report from this device" option by itself)

I removed updates but when I got into map/settings/location settings, mine says I am not sharing location information. I have gps turned off already. But my battery seems ok. I did a clear cache, not factory reset

ashishb

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The main screen on the default email app is very dark. It goes much darker than the settings. Click into an individual email and the brightness comes back? Just like the default browser does?

Can't see to change it? Any tips? I am running white background and black text.

I noticed the same. I sue the default email app for my work email (exchange) and it is much dimmer than my gmail. The only time the default email app starts to brighten is when I'm exiting the app. Anyone else experience this and any suggestions on why this is happening. I've gone through all of the email settings, the exchange settings and even the display settings to see if something got selected/deselected during the update to JB, but can't find anything,

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I could be wrong but my guess is that maps is running more so Google Now knows where you are and can provide better updates. Google Now is nice but...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

ortizds

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much for the tip! I've been looking for a solution. Since my upgrade to Jelly Bean the notification mute feature of Night Clock has stopped working correctly on my Galaxy S3. Your help is appreciated!

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site

Ditto. I found that solution this morning, as well. I think the Jelly Bean update turned it on by default (it did not used to be on). I turned it off this morning, recharged and then rebooted my phone (to start with a clean battery usage graph). I am happy to report that my maps usage is now showing to be virtually "zero" (I actually used it once for a location-based search) and my battery usage is more in line with what it was before the update.

-SR-