Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Shortcut To Google Now

    Just got my Jelly Bean update a few minutes ago. For those that don't know, there seem to be a lot, if you hold down the options key for a second it will take you straight to Google Now so you don't have to go through the multitasking menu.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    Does the keyboard automatically fill half your screen when opening Google Now using this method? It did when my Sprint GS3 got the JB update.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    Yes, using this method, the Keyboard opens automatically with the cursor in the Google Search box on Google Now.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    Question on the lock screen isn't it supposed to be like you hold it down and you get like a circle of 4 apps or short cuts to choose from then you slide to which one you want? Is there a setting I'm missing and how do you chance the short cuts on your lock screen?

    The amazing galaxy s3
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    I could be wrong, but I believe what you are referring to is Stock JB (a la Nexus). TouchWiz puts its own "touches" on the lockscreen, etc.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    hold down the home button and simply click Google
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    Nice tip! That one works really well too.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    I can't get it to work, When I hold the home key then select google it just returns to the home screen.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    My way around the keyboard opening was to put the app icon for Google Search on my homescreen. For some reason, that was the only way Google Now would open without the keyboard popping up.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by Airlid View Post
    I can't get it to work, When I hold the home key then select google it just returns to the home screen.
    Did you install Google Search and/or update it? Could be why it isn't working properly.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaen View Post
    Did you install Google Search and/or update it? Could be why it isn't working properly.
    I had disabled Google search, I enabled it played with Google now and realized that it is totally worthless and annoying, killed Google now and disabled voice search. Functionally with everything that I have disabled, my phone is no different than when I was running ICS. Pointless update with no REAL improvement.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by Airlid View Post
    I had disabled Google search, I enabled it played with Google now and realized that it is totally worthless and annoying, killed Google now and disabled voice search. Functionally with everything that I have disabled, my phone is no different than when I was running ICS. Pointless update with no REAL improvement.
    If only jellybean had been released months ago, you could've read online the benefits and made a decision earlier.
    Kennyb123 likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by Empty J View Post
    If only jellybean had been released months ago, you could've read online the benefits and made a decision earlier.
    Google now IS voice search. You can still type your queries in manually

    Sent from my EVO LTE using Android Central Forums
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by Airlid View Post
    I had disabled Google search, I enabled it played with Google now and realized that it is totally worthless and annoying, killed Google now and disabled voice search. Functionally with everything that I have disabled, my phone is no different than when I was running ICS. Pointless update with no REAL improvement.
    Really? I use search for everything during a workday.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    Really, At work, I'm actually working not playing with my phone :-)
    EldoradoSan likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by Airlid View Post
    Really, At work, I'm actually working not playing with my phone :-)
    Believe it or not, some people actually use their phone for work purposes and not as a multi-hundred dollar toy with a monthly fee.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    And that list of people is so short that it is incomparable to the amount of people that screw on their phone all day.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by EldoradoSan View Post
    And that list of people is so short that it is incomparable to the amount of people that screw on their phone all day.
    I hate when people pretend like they are different from everyone else. You Jack with your phone just like everyone else. Some use it for work AND play while others use it just for play. 95% of my use is fun. I'm not going to act like i'm all uptight and hard like some on here. I'm so sick of the whole "smartphones are just toys" crap. Of course they are! But I also don't spend my money on tv, movie tickets, beer, or cigarettes. Everyone has the right to choose how they spend their lettuce. I choose electronic toys, Mtn Dew, and Jazz Tickets. I don't walk into a movie theater and shout: "pffff.... You all are just here for recreational purposes! Noobs!". So why do it on here? (rant over)

    Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by LegalAmerican View Post
    I hate when people pretend like they are different from everyone else. You Jack with your phone just like everyone else. Some use it for work AND play while others use it just for play. 95% of my use is fun. I'm not going to act like i'm all uptight and hard like some on here. I'm so sick of the whole "smartphones are just toys" crap. Of course they are! But I also don't spend my money on tv, movie tickets, beer, or cigarettes. Everyone has the right to choose how they spend their lettuce. I choose electronic toys, Mtn Dew, and Jazz Tickets. I don't walk into a movie theater and shout: "pffff.... You all are just here for recreational purposes! Noobs!". So why do it on here? (rant over)

    Sent from my Galaxy S3
    At what point did I EVER say I was any different than anyone else? But I do use my phone as much for work as ANYTHING else. I was merely pointing out the obvious Mr. High and Mighty.
  20. #20  
    kjjb0204's Avatar

    Posts
    289 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,744 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom 5.5

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by EldoradoSan View Post
    And that list of people is so short that it is incomparable to the amount of people that screw on their phone all day.
    In my industry, everyone except the most basic office workers use their phones all day for work. Our company has several thousand mobile workers that all rely on a smartphone to get work done. Every day. Couldn't get business done without it.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by EldoradoSan View Post
    At what point did I EVER say I was any different than anyone else? But I do use my phone as much for work as ANYTHING else. I was merely pointing out the obvious Mr. High and Mighty.
    Clearly I'm not "high and mighty". Cause YOU use your phone for work while I use it mostly for entertainment. I'm practically a nobody. And you insinuate you're different from everyone else when you make comments about how silly it is that some people don't use their smartphone to hammer in nails at the construction site.

    But mostly, i was just using your comments to refer to a massive group of people on here that all make similar statements.

    Some jobs don't require a smartphone. But that doesn't mean we can't carry them for other purposes. (travel navigation, Internet access for trip planning, email access on the go, etc...)

    Just cause the phone isn't used as a screwdriver doesn't mean we just play angry birds all day.

    Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Droid Bionic>Droid Razr Maxx>Verizon Galaxy S3>T-Mobile Galaxy S3, Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    No need to defend toys. Everybody likes toys. That said, I use my phone for work probably as much as the next guy. However, I fail to see anything in JB that would make my phone more productive for work compared to how it works with ICS.

    Personally, Im on the fence as to even bothering to update my phone from where it is now (ICS.)

    Honestly, updating it to JB seems to really only be a benefit to people that want to say they have a phone running JB.

    -Suntan
    LegalAmerican likes this.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    Great shortcut for Google now. For me jb is worth having just for Google now.
    If you wire me $100 I will tell you when the 3.0 update rolls out
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    I'm using Nova Launcher and have the home key set to open Google Now. Running Holo Locker too which gives you the same ability to open Google Now by pushing up as stock JB
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Shortcut To Google Now

    Doesn't JB give the phone Global Phone capability? I was under the impression that without JB, the S3 could not function as a global phone. This would definitely be a business plus to me.

    I spent 2.5 months marooned on a deserted island...ok, it wasn't deserted, but it only had a GSM network, so it FELT like it was a deserted island to my Palm Pre+ on Verizon. And, OK, I wasn't really marooned. I was 'assigned'.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2012, 08:19 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-17-2011, 05:03 PM
  3. Google Talk from 2.3.4...ABLE TO FLASH NOW!!!!
    By BazzBro in forum Android 2.3 Gingerbread
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-07-2011, 11:26 PM
  4. Voicemail now going str8 to google voice on 2.2
    By g1toevo678 in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-23-2010, 05:20 PM
  5. Google now open-sourcing FroYo to partners
    By IIAspire in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

B