Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts

Default Network Mode

Okay, I have updated my S3 to JB and I see that my phone network mode is set to "Global". Is there any reason I should keep that as my default since I do not have any plans on going to another country. My other choices are "LTE/CDMA" and GSM/UMTS". Obviously since this is a Verizon phone if I were to change I would go to "LTE/CDMA". If I switch would it help the battery life?
    Galaxy S5 16GB Not Rooted
    Verizon,USA
    Android V4.4.4

Default Re: Network Mode

Wondering the same. Noticed that it switched to global mode after the update. I switched back to LTE/CDMA, but not sure if I should have left it in global mode.

Quote Originally Posted by ashishb View Post
    Wondering the same. Noticed that it switched to global mode after the update. I switched back to LTE/CDMA, but not sure if I should have left it in global mode.
    Also wondering this.

If y'all plan on staying here in the USA canada or mexico you can go to lte/cdma....gsm/umts will do nothing for you so global is useless...when u have no signal it will search for cdma and gsm if you are on global so more batery drain

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ajost95 View Post
    If y'all plan on staying here in the USA canada or mexico you can go to lte/cdma....gsm/umts will do nothing for you so global is useless...when u have no signal it will search for cdma and gsm if you are on global so more batery drain

Thanks that is what I suspected.

Also, since an option is GSM/UMTS does that mean if I switch to ATT or any other GSM service that my Verizon S3 would work if I got the proper SIM from the new supplier?
    Galaxy S5 16GB Not Rooted
    Verizon,USA
    Android V4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by neil154 View Post
    Thanks that is what I suspected.

Also, since an option is GSM/UMTS does that mean if I switch to ATT or any other GSM service that my Verizon S3 would work if I got the proper SIM from the new supplier?
    Not sure if they unlocked it or not with the update...i know when they updated the droid razr to global they also unlocked the sim but i dont think they let other gsm USA carriers sim cards work...thats just what i remember so hopefully it was helpful

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

Updated to JB last night. Really nice. Then this evening, started receiving this popup:

Network Mode-uploadfromtaptalk1355614800689.jpg

Turns out, I was set to Global and didn't know it! As previously stated:

Settings - More Settings - Mobile Network - Network Mode

I changed it to LTE / CDMA

Hopefully I won't see that popup again and the slight battery drain I've noticed will disappear.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by titans30dude View Post

Besides when I switched
    to LTE / CDMA phone become faster!