OTA JB update keeps failing -- Any ideas?

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
As long as your phone is running right now, it won't be an issue...you just may have some extra steps involved...

Report findings here, folks will help.

Didn't see any signs of root when I loaded it up. Might try searching for the update file, loading onto SD Card and installing that way. Frustrating

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Tried to do the manual update off the SD Card. Still no go. Did a search and saw some people complaining on the VZW message boards about the same thing with no resolution from verizon other than replacing the phone. Seems like a pain.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Noob here. How does one easily undo root?

Keep in mind that I've NEVER actually had to unroot, so I personally can't verify any of this, but here is the post on how to un-root (see bottom of first post starting at "back to stock")...
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ck-bootloader-verizon-galaxy-s3-sch-i535.html

Tried to do the manual update off the SD Card. Still no go. Did a search and saw some people complaining on the VZW message boards about the same thing with no resolution from verizon other than replacing the phone. Seems like a pain.

OK -- this *may* not be the solution for everyone, and does require getting one's hands dirty. If you are really uncomfortable doing these sorts of things AND your phone isn't rooted, then Verizon customer support should help you...although their solution will probably be to get you a new phone. To me, this is pretty straight forward, but I realize that may not be the case for everyone...

See this guide from over on XDA:
[GUIDE] Jelly Bean Factory Image (Root/Recovery/Unlocked Bootloader) *UPDATED 12/12* - xda-developers

By completing ONLY step 1, you will have installed the latest official version of Jelly Bean. As this is an "official" image, it does not require root and is not *technically* a violation of the TOS either (Verizon would not be able to tell if you did it this way vs. the OTA). If you wanted to take it further and complete steps 2 and 3 to root an unlock, that's up to you -- but at that point you would be voiding your warranty.

As it states the only modification made to the stock image being used in this method is that it doesn't wipe the internal data...so it will, in theory, allow you to keep your apps and settings similar to installing an OTA update. Since I, again, have not personally used this method, I will float 2 additional caveats out there...
1. Always be aware that there is chance data could be lost in the process -- make sure your contacts are synced in Google, and backup what you can/want prior to starting.
2. I have found that whether it by OTA updates or manual flashing, a lot of updates are simply more "error free" if you do a factory reset prior. That's a real PITA, so most folks will take their chances and not do a factory reset unless they *have* to (and I understand that), but just thought I'd toss that out there.

For those not familiar with use ODIN, it's a standalone Windows executable that can be used to flash OS images to your device, here's a brief how-to I copied from another post:
Step 1: Make sure you have Samsung device drivers installed.

Step 2: Power device off, then hold the volume down/home/power keys until you see a yellow triangle, then press the volume up key to access "download mode".

Step 3: Open Odin and connect the oem usb cable to pc & device, you should see a "comport #" in upper left hand corner of odin. (This verifies it sees you phone as connected).

Step 4: Make sure auto reboot is checked.

Step 5: Click on the PDA function of odin and select the stock image file you downloaded earlier, select start, should take a minute or two, then odin will say pass/reset.

Step 6: Your device should Reboot.

Aaramona Ward

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you kindly. I'll try these out and let everyone know how it goes!

Will installing jb this way trip that counter?

Keep in mind that I've NEVER actually had to unroot, so I personally can't verify any of this, but here is the post on how to un-root (see bottom of first post starting at "back to stock")...
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ck-bootloader-verizon-galaxy-s3-sch-i535.html

OK -- this *may* not be the solution for everyone, and does require getting one's hands dirty. If you are really uncomfortable doing these sorts of things AND your phone isn't rooted, then Verizon customer support should help you...although their solution will probably be to get you a new phone. To me, this is pretty straight forward, but I realize that may not be the case for everyone...

See this guide from over on XDA:
[GUIDE] Jelly Bean Factory Image (Root/Recovery/Unlocked Bootloader) *UPDATED 12/12* - xda-developers

By completing ONLY step 1, you will have installed the latest official version of Jelly Bean. As this is an "official" image, it does not require root and is not *technically* a violation of the TOS either (Verizon would not be able to tell if you did it this way vs. the OTA). If you wanted to take it further and complete steps 2 and 3 to root an unlock, that's up to you -- but at that point you would be voiding your warranty.

As it states the only modification made to the stock image being used in this method is that it doesn't wipe the internal data...so it will, in theory, allow you to keep your apps and settings similar to installing an OTA update. Since I, again, have not personally used this method, I will float 2 additional caveats out there...
1. Always be aware that there is chance data could be lost in the process -- make sure your contacts are synced in Google, and backup what you can/want prior to starting.
2. I have found that whether it by OTA updates or manual flashing, a lot of updates are simply more "error free" if you do a factory reset prior. That's a real PITA, so most folks will take their chances and not do a factory reset unless they *have* to (and I understand that), but just thought I'd toss that out there.

For those not familiar with use ODIN, it's a standalone Windows executable that can be used to flash OS images to your device, here's a brief how-to I copied from another post:

Last edited:

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Can't wait to hear how this works for you. I am a bit hesitant to do this on the gf's phone. If it was mine I likely would. But since its hers I might just take it in to Verizon and make them replace it.

Aaramona Ward

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Fantastic news! It worked!

For step 1 -- I installed the original stock image using the computer version of odin. Thanks to the helpful tip above.
Step 2 - OTA updates all the way to jelly bean with no more errors!

Can't wait to hear how this works for you. I am a bit hesitant to do this on the gf's phone. If it was mine I likely would. But since its hers I might just take it in to Verizon and make them replace it.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Realize you've already done it, but I would believe that "no", this would not trip the counter since it is an official signed image. I have no evidence to actually support that claim one way or the other though.

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Fantastic news! It worked!

For step 1 -- I installed the original stock image using the computer version of odin. Thanks to the helpful tip above.
Step 2 - OTA updates all the way to jelly bean with no more errors!

Wow. Good for you man! This does make it awfully tempting to do this on the gf's phone because I read the steps and it doesn't seem too difficult.

Does this make any difference on doing future OTA updates? (if anyone knows)

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
As long you don't root or muck with the phone then ota will work.
Wow. Good for you man! This does make it awfully tempting to do this on the gf's phone because I read the steps and it doesn't seem too difficult.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Aaramona Ward

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes OTA updates worked just fine after installing the original stock image. =)