OTA JB update keeps failing -- Any ideas?

Aaramona Ward

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
After the OTA update is done downloading and starts to install it gets about 1/4 of the way through and the little android guy falls over and dies with a red tummy. The phone then reboots and a dialog box informs me that the update failed. It is doing this everytime. Any ideas?

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
After the OTA update is done downloading and starts to install it gets about 1/4 of the way through and the little android guy falls over and dies with a red tummy. The phone then reboots and a dialog box informs me that the update failed. It is doing this everytime. Any ideas?
Are you rooted with any frozen or deleted apps? Did you load any other ROM or anything? As cute as the red tummy and falling over Android sounds, I hope I never see it.

jate322

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue. I am rooted but have not deleted and apps. I made sure none of the apps are frozen. Very annoying.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Anyone figure this out. I've been trying to update and it keeps failing. Did a factory reset and still fails afterwards. Not sure what is causing it to fail and what I can do to get this update working. Anyone who has some advice is appreciated! Thanks

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Most likely you need to go back to pure stock no root no unlock. There's something u did that when it checks your phone it finds missing. Also try clear cache in Google services framework

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
That's what I thought I was doing when I did the factory reset. Sorry for the newb question, but how can I tell if the phone is rooted or unlocked?

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Based on my experience with it - it's not worth the aggravation. You won't notice any changes significant enough to make it worth it.

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Based on my experience with it - it's not worth the aggravation. You won't notice any changes significant enough to make it worth it.

What do you mean - the update isn't worth it? I personally love the update - it already pushed to my phone. I'm having problems with it on the gf's phone.

If you meant to root/unlock isn't worth it --- I've never done that and don't really intend to. But I did buy my gf's phone off ebay and wonder if the previous owner rooted it. I just don't know how to check for that.

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Do you have Superuser or SuperSU installed?

My gf has not installed anything more complicated than bubble shooter games, lol. I don't see any apps installed that I don't recognize. But again, I don't know if after doing a Reset it would delete those apps but leave the root. I have no idea how any of that works. I just don't see why her phone would keep failing on the update install process unless something was done. But what do I know, lol.

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
You may have a custom recovery installed by the previous owner which would prevent the update.

Power off the phone. Once it's off, power it up by holding the volume up, home button and power button simultaneously. If Clockwork Mod or TWRP appear, there's the problem.

akio

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have the same problem. Spent about an hour on the phone with Verizon and Samsung. The lady a Samsung was a joke, so Verizon is sending me a new to me phone.

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You may have a custom recovery installed by the previous owner which would prevent the update.

Power off the phone. Once it's off, power it up by holding the volume up, home button and power button simultaneously. If Clockwork Mod or TWRP appear, there's the problem.

I'll be doing this tonight and checking it out.

I have the same problem. Spent about an hour on the phone with Verizon and Samsung. The lady a Samsung was a joke, so Verizon is sending me a new to me phone.

I hope this isn't the issue for me. Is a phone still under warranty when you buy it 2nd hand? Its obviously still less than a year old since it hasn't even been out that long.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
To the OP and others, if you've ever rooted your phone in the past, there's a good chance you also flashed a custom recovery partition during the process. Even if your OS is completely stock and you have no frozen bloatware, etc, you could still experience an issue similar to the OPs.

Check for ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery as "jdk2" states above. If you do have a custom recovery and you absolutely need to get this update via official channels, then you'll want to do a full UN-root procedure to make sure all of your components are stock.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'll be doing this tonight and checking it out.

I hope this isn't the issue for me. Is a phone still under warranty when you buy it 2nd hand? Its obviously still less than a year old since it hasn't even been out that long.

As long as your phone is running right now, it won't be an issue...you just may have some extra steps involved...

Report findings here, folks will help.

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
As long as your phone is running right now, it won't be an issue...you just may have some extra steps involved...

Report findings here, folks will help.

Will do. I won't see the gf until late tonight so i will get on here as soon as i can with any info!

thanks guys! these forums are 100x better than any tech support with samsung/verizon.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I mean the update isn't worth any aggravation. If you have an issue that JB will cure that's one thing. If you are updating a perfectly usable phone for the sake of having JB and it's not working? Not worth it.

What do you mean - the update isn't worth it? I personally love the update - it already pushed to my phone. I'm having problems with it on the gf's phone.

If you meant to root/unlock isn't worth it --- I've never done that and don't really intend to. But I did buy my gf's phone off ebay and wonder if the previous owner rooted it. I just don't know how to check for that.

Aaramona Ward

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Noob here. How does one easily undo root?

To the OP and others, if you've ever rooted your phone in the past, there's a good chance you also flashed a custom recovery partition during the process. Even if your OS is completely stock and you have no frozen bloatware, etc, you could still experience an issue similar to the OPs.

Check for ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery as "jdk2" states above. If you do have a custom recovery and you absolutely need to get this update via official channels, then you'll want to do a full UN-root procedure to make sure all of your components are stock.

KenshoSC

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I am having the same issues.

I have cleared Google Framework cache and the cache from the reboot screen and nothing works.

I have never rooted and it was a new phone when I got it.

Any progress?