Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Using the Verizon GS3 with an international sim card.

Hi guys,

My girlfriend is visiting me here in England with her Verizon Galaxy S3. We just updated it to 4.1.1 via the official OTA, and were trying to use it with a Vodafone sim card that she was using previously with an English HTC Wildfire S.

The GS3 connects to the Vodafone network and will receive SMS sent to the UK number but doesn't connect to Vodafone's data network. (if we put the sim back in the wildfire S it connects to data just fine).

I was thinking I might have to enter APN settings, but on the GS3 when the Vodafone sim card is in the APN settings list is blank and there is no option to add new ones.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Using the Verizon GS3 with an international sim card.

Is her phone rooted? Also you said text is working fine, are voice calls working fine too?

I assume the data isn't working because the GS3 does not have the right MHz frequencies as vodaphone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock rooted

Like Michael said above make sure that voda phone uses the same frequencies that youre phone is capable of (850/1900)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

I thought the Verizon S3 also had a quad band GSM radio.. I.e 850/900/1900/2100

Quote Originally Posted by nyry View Post
    Like Michael said above make sure that voda phone uses the same frequencies that youre phone is capable of (850/1900)

Its got all the gsm and umts frequencies needed...quad band for both....check to make sure you have roaming data enabled because your roaming on usa carriers here...just a thought

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I did try it with data roaming turned on, but no dice. The phone says not roaming when it is connected with the Vodafone sim. We are going to goto a Vodafone store and try and get a new micro sim rather than the old one that i cut down.

I travel overseas often and it would make my day if the SIII will work on a different network. I am tired of carrying two phones...

With this new 4.1.1 update, is the phone in theory supposed to work with a new SIM card? Will it have to be WCDMA network? Does it have to be unlocked by Verizon first?

Please keep us posted with your findings with Vodafone.

Cheers
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I talked to verizon global roaming support, and the agent said that it is unlocked out of the box and should work with another sim. But I'm pretty sure that entering the APN's is the problem, as I can't find a way to enter apns without rooting the phone.

Thanks, mate.....

If it's unlocked, it should pick up the apn setting from the SIM card automatically. I have just returned from Asia where I simply popped a SIM in my unlocked Nexus 7. All the configuration was automatic, I didn't have to change the apn at all. All I did was agreeing to the user agreement via the 3g connection that came on soon after the SIM was inserted.

Maybe you can share your experience with a new SIM from Vodafone? I'd appreciate it... I am off to Asia again in 4 weeks.

Cheers,

Same exact issue here in Israel on Pelephone 850/1900. Talk+text is good but no data and no option for APN.
    No root here.

Any ideas?

Well, im going to the Cayman islands for a few days and am going to try swaping sim cards there. Ill report back findings on Thursday.

Keeping my fingers crossed!
    Galaxy Tab 10.1 running "The Beginning" by Task650
    Nexus 7 - retired
    Galaxy S3 - retired
    Galaxy Note 2 - retired
    Galaxy Note 3 - Stock

Those here that report this working, are you getting micro SIM cards straight from these other international carriers or are you cutting them down from larger SIM cards?

Edit: oops just read above that the SIM card was cut down from a larger one. I just ordered a SIM card cutter from amazon, we will see how well that works

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I got my micro sim from the carrier...

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chachazlo View Post
    Same exact issue here in Israel on Pelephone 850/1900. Talk+text is good but no data and no option for APN.
    No root here.

Any ideas?

Same issue here with Singtel prepaid. Tried the prepaid with s3 international and no issue.

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

So I'm guessing we still need to root and use the APN program?

Quote Originally Posted by dajmeister View Post
    Hi guys,

My girlfriend is visiting me here in England with her Verizon Galaxy S3. We just updated it to 4.1.1 via the official OTA, and were trying to use it with a Vodafone sim card that she was using previously with an English HTC Wildfire S.

The GS3 connects to the Vodafone network and will receive SMS sent to the UK number but doesn't connect to Vodafone's data network. (if we put the sim back in the wildfire S it connects to data just fine).

I was thinking I might have to enter APN settings, but on the GS3 when the Vodafone sim card is in the APN settings list is blank and there is no option to add new ones.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Do you also get the "Non-Verizon Sim: This sim card is not supported" constant message in the notification bar?

Quote Originally Posted by chachazlo View Post
    Do you also get the "Non-Verizon Sim: This sim card is not supported" constant message in the notification bar?
    I've been in Vietnam for the past month and a week and before the 4.1.1 update my GS3 would not accept the SIM card I put in with this message in the notif. bar. Now with the update I tried it again and the my phone works with the SIM but still it says "Non-Verizon Sim: This sim card is not supported" but now im able to make calls.

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by v1ncestah View Post
    I've been in Vietnam for the past month and a week and before the 4.1.1 update my GS3 would not accept the SIM card I put in with this message in the notif. bar. Now with the update I tried it again and the my phone works with the SIM but still it says "Non-Verizon Sim: This sim card is not supported" but now im able to make calls.
    Are you getting data access?

Quote Originally Posted by DrPreeth View Post
    Are you getting data access?

im afraid of getting charged extra, so i'm only using it with wifi on but i can make calls and text fine.

Some one on this forum said it doesn't support hspda only edge maybe that has to do with no apn settings I hope his wrong I'm going to Mexico and verizon donesnt have a GSM roaming partner. I'm lucky if I get a 1x never had evdo in Mexico .
    . Verizon Galaxy S3 SIM Unlock Swap for International Travel Possible? - xda-developers

I just spoke with someone at VZW's global department and here is what I was told: Verizon-branded Galaxy S3 with Jelly Bean update will (supposedly) work with foreign GSM carriers - the phone is only locked to block other US providers (T-Mobile, ATT), and NOT any of the foreign ones. I was told that all I need to do is pop in the other carrier's Micro SIM card and it will work for both voice and data.

Can anyone confirm this?

Will I'm in Cayamn now and tried to pop in a Digicel sim and was able to pick up voice but no data. What good is this phone without data? After talking with Verizon Global Tech support he blamed it on the SIM card but I was able to get the SIM to work fine with another GS3 that is part of Digicel's network and it is fine.
    Galaxy Tab 10.1 running "The Beginning" by Task650
    Nexus 7 - retired
    Galaxy S3 - retired
    Galaxy Note 2 - retired
    Galaxy Note 3 - Stock

Hi,

I have the official Verizon S3 update -- installed it just before I left for my trip to South America.

I can confirm that here in Santiago, on their carrier Entel, that voice & sms work just fine with a local SIM card.

HOWEVER, DATA DOES NOT WORK, and like you have mentioned, there is no ability to add other APNs into the phone.

I've tried some of the apps on the Android market (Hi-APN, APN Manager Pro, Offline SIM APN Database Pro) to no avail... these apps don't have permission to write out a new APN without root access.

I have spoken to the local carrier here (and there was a Samsung rep at one of the larger Entel offices here), and he was *confused* as to why there was no option to add an APN.

I then spoke with Verizon global support and they essentially know NOTHING... I then spoke with Samsung, and they know nothing.
    I then called back Verizon and said to focus on the issue of adding an APN -- forget this is a global problem -- why is this disabled.
    The rep I got was persistent, and five phone calls later managed to get an answer from Samsung who said the option had been explicitly removed.

The rep seemed to think it was Samsung's decision, but that doesn't make any sense.
    In any case, if you want data, I think all indications are you're GONNA HAVE TO ROOT THE PHONE.

I don't want to, because of the hassle factor, but it's eather that or no dice.

I was with a friend today who just updated his GS3. We tried putting in my AT&T Sim and got the persistent unauthorized sim notification. I was assuming that when he called to unlock it it would work fine. Sounds like that is not the case. I have done this before with an unlocked blackberry on Verizon and it worked fine with my Sim card. What a pain. Hopefully they will fix it so it actually is a world phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by madison437 View Post
    Hi,

I have the official Verizon S3 update -- installed it just before I left for my trip to South America.

I can confirm that here in Santiago, on their carrier Entel, that voice & sms work just fine with a local SIM card.

HOWEVER, DATA DOES NOT WORK, and like you have mentioned, there is no ability to add other APNs into the phone.

I've tried some of the apps on the Android market (Hi-APN, APN Manager Pro, Offline SIM APN Database Pro) to no avail... these apps don't have permission to write out a new APN without root access.

I have spoken to the local carrier here (and there was a Samsung rep at one of the larger Entel offices here), and he was *confused* as to why there was no option to add an APN.

I then spoke with Verizon global support and they essentially know NOTHING... I then spoke with Samsung, and they know nothing.
    I then called back Verizon and said to focus on the issue of adding an APN -- forget this is a global problem -- why is this disabled.
    The rep I got was persistent, and five phone calls later managed to get an answer from Samsung who said the option had been explicitly removed.

The rep seemed to think it was Samsung's decision, but that doesn't make any sense.
    In any case, if you want data, I think all indications are you're GONNA HAVE TO ROOT THE PHONE.

I don't want to, because of the hassle factor, but it's eather that or no dice.
    That solves it then, as the rep I spoke with suggested that the phone should've been updated in the states on the VZW network. Shame a carrier would purposefully cripple a solid device for their [potential (read: unlikely)] pecuniary gain...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast