FoxFi Working On Jellybean?

TBoltShock83839

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I was prompted for the Jellybean update this morning but have not yet accepted it because I wasn't sure if FoxFi would work anymore. I've heard about other phones that have been updated to Jellybean that it no longer worked.

Just want to see if anyone has attempted to run FoxFi on the new update and what the results were. If it doesn't work, I'm hard pressed to update after throwing $7 on the table for the paid version.

Thanks!

Willis

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Foxfi appears to be working fine so far, the only issue is that it turns on the verizon default tether app. Just wondering if I'll get charged by verizon

TBoltShock83839

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Foxfi appears to be working fine so far, the only issue is that it turns on the verizon default tether app. Just wondering if I'll get charged by verizon

When you look at your plan in the features section does it look like it has changed anything under the tethering section?

not2gutta

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

I tried with a power control widget and it was the same deal. I didn't read any cautions of them charging you for it.. although they are promoting the hotspots with the family share plan, so I hope I didn't get switched to that and loose my unlimited data. :eek:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Willis

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
are there other apps/widgets besides Foxfi? thanks!

Another choice is easy tether. It works great and I have been using it for a few years now. The downside is it's a usb tethering app. I also heard the blue tooth hotspot part of foxfi is still working as normal. I don't have a blue tooth enabled device to check though.

Willis

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Another thing, we may just be worrying for nothing. I have never rooted, but if I understand it correctly, it allows you access to turn on the verizon hotspot app, just like foxfi does now. If thats the way rooting works, then foxfi turning on the hotspot app should be just fine. If someone who is rooted could chime in that would be great.

ColdBrew

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why you think it isn't working. Mine has always had the system hotspot show up in the notification bar. I use SVTP and it crashes but still works.

jdfrye

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm also holding off since I'm also un rooted I checked after activating foxfi in the system settings using ICS and the Verizon hotspot is not on.
uploadfromtaptalk1355590499805.jpg

TBoltShock83839

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm also holding off since I'm also un rooted I checked after activating foxfi in the system settings using ICS and the Verizon hotspot is not on.
View attachment 51170

I was thinking the same. I always thought the icon on the notification bar was of FoxFi. I'm still kinda iffy about updating. I'll keep playing the waiting game, but hopefully not much longer.

jdfrye

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
that is the FoxFi icon in the bar..I posted cause I thought people were saying that the Verizon hot spot turned on also. In the screen shot I posted, it shows FoxFi active in the icon bar and the Verizon hotspot off. I'm still waiting for a answer from someone also about what this talk is about the Verizon hotspot being turned on. anyone could post a screen shot please? I'm not going to upgrade to JB till I see no confusion about this FoxFi thing

jbarrymck

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
When I turn on FoxFi it turns on Verizon tethering. This also happened after my Nexus was updated to JB, however, I was never charged tethering fees, and I am on Unlimited as well.

Attachments

• 2012-12-16 01.21.13.png
    2012-12-16 01.21.13.png
    131.2 KB · Views: 61

Willis

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
When I turn on FoxFi it turns on Verizon tethering. This also happened after my Nexus was updated to JB, however, I was never charged tethering fees, and I am on Unlimited as well.

Thanks for the info, Im going to use it, and assume I won't get charged. If I get charged, then maybe I'll disable it.

minnieusa

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
i had foxfii on my s3 when first month i bought it. always used it on the droidx to run laptop. after using foxfi for 30 min. on the s3 got a prompt on my s3 from verizon that i had used x number of extra megabytes. it was enough to put me over my 2g allotment. verizon knows exactly what we are all doing. i deleted foxfi off because of that threat. verizon is capable of doing anything they want.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
FoxFi or any wifi tethering app still use your data, either from a share plan bucket or from your unlimited data, whichever is applicable. VZW sent you the message because you exceeded your plan limit. It has nothing to do with what app you're using. The apps circumvent the need to have a tethering plan activated, which for unlimited data plan holders is $30/month. Shared data plan holders no longer need or are required to have that tethering plan.

TBoltShock83839

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

So we're confirmed that this is the case and everything is still working smoothly? I still haven't updated yet, but now I'm getting the urge to.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
??? What does FoxFi have to do with you going over your data plan? You would have gotten the same "courtesy text" going over your data plan using 4G.